• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is your most prized vintage computer item?

Well My most prized computers and I/O devices are:-

No 1. The very first computer I bought as a kit for Aus $235 and assembled. It is a Motorola MEK6800 D2 Kit, and that I still own. It still works well.
Recently I located the the original invoice date 6th November 1978 from Total Electronics, the Australian Motorola Agent of the day.
kkaVtaV.jpg

No 2. This second is logic board, Circa 1968, part of a rocket guidance computer, one of a set. Most of the chips are Sylvania Universal High Level Logic.
Recently I put power to the board after extensive tests, and checks and initial reverse engineering of the circuit. Next step will be to build a dedicated "bed of nails" test jig, so I can hook up to it.
TdqqfJy.jpg

3. My EAI TR-20 Analog computer Circa 1964, with a Vintage Tektronix 564 Storage Oscilloscope Circa mid 1960's and a vintage HP flat bed plotter as output devices.

4. My CSA 68000 Training computer, containing Motorola MEX68KECB board + CSA display board in a leather brief case.
VWuriXS.jpg

5. My DEC PDP8i and the Drum Hard Drive that I have described on the VCFED forum.

6. My Sirius 1

7. A Red Sakhr (Al Alamiah co.) AX-230 which is like the Sanyo MPC-2, localised for Arabic countries, but the PCB and components are not the same. A RGB output has been added and one of the 2 cartridge ports has been removed.

8. Otrona Attache CPM machine. This is the first assembled computer I purchased New in the Mid 1980's. I did a huge amount of work using it. I had got a PCB drafting package and a DMP-29 A3 flat bed plotter. Still have this Otrona but not the plotter.

9. this 10 slot Motorola system I hobbled together years ago. Photo shows it out of its enclosure,
rvxCVNW.jpg

10. and this great terminal, its an Informer 207/102-v22 Gumtree ad pic 1. dated 9/2016, of unit I luckly purchased for Aus $300
rSBkey6.jpg

There are a few more but I think these 10 are my absolute favorites

Last edited:
Could be a bona fide computer or simply a peripheral/software?

Hmm, I would say my second-run REH-CPU280 (first run was in 1990; my board is the 130192 revision which I think was the second run) is my most 'prized.' Only 50 were made during its original two runs. I'll soon have a new-run CPU280 made, too, and so far only 20 boards have been fabbed (I can get more of the 130192a revision fabbed easily enough, though). Next on the list would be my Compumotor 8085 board with the Aurius-designed Egyptian hieroglyphics on the component side.

Oh and what rates high on your want list? ...

I don't really have a want list so to speak; I have access to VAXen and a couple of PDP11s and an IBM ISC/390 micro-mainframe; a Cray would be neat but can't afford the power. I have no interest in Apple-anything except that, if I had an Apple I, I would liquidate it in a hurry and pay off some debt. I had at one time most of the Tandy TRS-80 line including a decked-out Tandy 6000, but it's a case of been-there and done-that with those, other than the one Model 12 pski sent me, which I still need to get running so I can work on HD booting for LS-DOS 6.3.

I have noted that for future reference. Not sure when I will get to play with thTR10 again, so many projects, so little time...
we used to get a decrease in size on the Hartree Differential Analyser when we were allowed to use it (you need Flash to view)

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/hartree.html

which I am pretty sure was a phase problem, caused by the backlash in the gear trains. They had "frontlash" units to compensate which were small gearboxes that detected a change in direction of rotation and then increased the speed of the output slightly for a short period of time...

... an example here

http://www.meccanotec.com/frontlash.html

That looks to be the same problem. If you draw out the phases of the
signals at each location you can see how you might add a little 90 degree lead
to that node to shift the phase. I believe that is how I figured it out.
On the mechanical system, the integrators can have less phase loss but
I can see where the zero cross is an issue.
Dwight

The computer I will never, ever part with is my Tomy Tutor, which was my first computer as a kid and still works, so I guess that would make it my most prized unit.

However, the 133MHz BeBox, Canon Cat and Apple Network Server 500 are pretty high on the list.

I'll have to speak to the person that told me that. Personally I couldn't understand how a version could have operated in 64k.

Each cartridge can hold 64K, so two cartridges inserted simultaneously could have contained 128K of data. However, KQ took up 360K of data on a diskette, so there was no way to pack that into two 64K carts. Maybe he confused it with a Sierra title that was on cartridge? Crossfire comes to mind.

I doubt M$ invented Advent, as it existed on many early platforms, and was known as that, not Adventure afaik. It just could have been that M$ produced their own equivalent and called it Adventure.

That's exactly what Microsoft Adventure is.

I personally have never known of s/w that resides on 2 carts, as interesting as that sounds. I get everything wrong anyway. I would have sworn up and down that the Mindset had a BASIC cart, but was eventually told otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

I only knew it as Advent in 1983. I took COBOL and FORTRAN on those decrepit old monstrosities. This lunatic I used to play D&D with managed to send me messages from another high school. He could have easilynimplicated himself as whatever he was saying was on hard copy.

It is tough to say because I like all my 8/16/32 bit computers. Maybe it would boil down to what I would never sell? Hmm. No because I refuse to sell any of my old stuff. heh. To me it is more a sentimental question I think. So it would be a toss up between my 64, Amiga 1200, or PowerMac 7200/75.

C64
The 64 because it replaced our Vic-20 in 1983 and was really the first computer that I truly could not part with and enjoyed so much discovering things like demos, BBSs and Qlink.

Amiga 1200
The Amiga 1200 because it became my favorite Amiga in 1992, when it replaced my Amiga 500 bought in 1988. I have since upgraded it with an accelerator, an SD2IDE adapter and wireless and ethernet cards.

Power Macintosh 7500/90
The PowerMac 7200/75 because it was my first Mac that I owned and opened up a new world of discovery in 1995 after the Amiga and parallel to the DOS days. I had used Macs at a friends house and my Aunt was a Mac user from 1984. But this was my first Mac and having fun with OS 7.5 and all the goodness of the early internet and later era BBSing with FirstClass clients towards the end of that era was some great memories. I still have a 7200 sitting on my desk that gets used quite often for printing duties (StyleWriter 2400) and running older software from CDs I have collected since the early 90's... (I have a large backlog that I have been exploring. 25 years to get to some titles since I bought them. Yikes. )

Runner Ups:

Power Macintosh 8600/300
Bought new when released and this beast came configured with an Apple PCI PC compatibility card with a Pentium 166. Although the original SCSI drive (Quantum) is starting to act up, (Spins up and down a few times at start up) I really dig these computers. Fortunately I have a stock of SCSI server drives that can be used without any third party drivers or formatters (Seagate).

Macintosh Performa 640CD DOS
This model you don't see too often as I don't think they made a ton of them as they were transitioning to PowerPC at the time. These came standard with a 486 DX66 PC compatibility card, in addition to the 68LC040. Mine is 100% original, except for the 3AAA battery pack I installed to replace the 4.5 v Rayovac that went dead and the added RAM.

has to be my reproduction SCELBI 8B setup with cassette, scope and keyboard interfaces - as far as I know, there are no original systems like it in operating condition

runners up
my first Mimeo 1 (reproduction Apple 1)
my original Apple ][ from early 1978, with working original cassette tapes and floppies in 13 sector format

regards,
Mike Willegal

Not a computer, just part of one. My pdp-8/E core memory, saved from the system I discarded in the 80's. I'm also fond of the one vacuum-tube digital module for an IBM 705, given to me by an IBM engineer. I was just a big-eyed fresh teenager visiting my dad's workplace, and he left me with the IBM guy as kind of a watchdog/babysitter so I wouldn't turn off the system or something.

Would have to be my Rockwell PPS-4 Assemulator with built-in paper tape reader.
Don't know what it's worth, but it is so rare - there are NO pictures of it on the interwebz!

My want list? - Intellec 4, PDP-1, PDP Straight Eight, PDP-10, Kenbak-1, any pre-1970 mainframe or mini & peripherals.

Last edited:
My Mark-8 boards definitely are the most prized. I may or may not hang onto them.. hate not being able to build them and have gotten quite a few offers for a lot more than I paid.

Next up would be the TV Typewriter I've been working diligently to build (and rebuild). Love that thing.

Last two would be my SWTPC 6800 and my Digital Group Z80. I never stop playing with them. Ever.

T

I'm most proud of my PC-XT (inc. monitor and keyboard) and Macintosh 128k, more because I paid $5 each though than anything else. For software its my sealed copy of Turrican II.

He has got to be kidding. For an obsolete uC, even a rare one, it is not worth much more than
scrap value. I'm sure it cost a lot when new but Apple 1 it is not.
The only person that would pay that much was someone that would use it to
create new mask parts. The processor would not even be considered today
for a new design, even if it were available.
I'd like to have it as it might be useful to diagnose Gottlieb pinball machines.
$300 or so would top out my desire.
Dwight

Not a computer, just part of one. My pdp-8/E core memory, saved from the system I discarded in the 80's. ...

Ah, I forgot I had one of those.... well, just the core plane, as I tossed the Omnibus interface/driver card years ago. Labels on the card: "CORE MEMORY STACK 5010886B 5411531" DEC H-219A-2779" datestamped June 2, 1975. The 'sticky mat' gray area is half-populated, with four columns of six rows of array cells, and it looks like there is enough room for two more columns at each end of the four populated columns.

Yeah, kind of like that, except that one is the 8 bit box that came along later.
Mine is the earlier 4 bit machine with the blinkin lights front panel. Uber rare.
His PPS-8 is very rare too, and has an interesting provenance.
He must be sniffing glue if he thinks someone is going to pay that kind of dosh for his toy.
The PPS-4 he refers to is the later produced "computer on a chip" (think along the lines of a pdp-8/E box converted to INTERSIL 6100 chip)

I did find a pic of my PPS-4's "brother" - without the tape reader head.

PPS4-MP.jpg

Last edited:
Not valuable, but definitely interesting.

It is the little metal plate used in an IBM 80 column card punch that drives the printing needles to print along the top of the card. I still can't work out how it works!

He has got to be kidding. For an obsolete uC, even a rare one, it is not worth much more than
scrap value. I'm sure it cost a lot when new but Apple 1 it is not.
The only person that would pay that much was someone that would use it to
create new mask parts. The processor would not even be considered today
for a new design, even if it were available.
I'd like to have it as it might be useful to diagnose Gottlieb pinball machines.
$300 or so would top out my desire.
Dwight

What did you plunk down for the NIC-80 ? :confused1:

Back