• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What kind of terminal is this?

nullvalue

Veteran Member
I got this a while back in an S-100 lot I picked up. In that lot was a normal serial terminal, but I also got this one.

It has a DB-25 port on the back but this goes straight to the keyboard only, there are no serial logic boards inside. The video input is BNC connector, but none of the computer equipment had a BNC output. What would this have gone to? The terminal itself seems like it may have been some kind of a kit but hard to say. There are no markings that I can find inside or out.

The one thing that really stands out to me is the original Cherry keyboard/caps/switches - I have to assume this has some value.. I haven't dug too deep but these don't look like 'typical' black Cherry keyswitches.. I'm not seeing any others with a 3-way post like these.

Unfortunately it doesn't do anything when I power it on, there's no voltage coming out of the transformer so I think that needs to be replaced at the very least.

PXL_20221210_205304322~2.jpg PXL_20221210_205325463~2.jpg PXL_20221210_204939327.MP.jpg
PXL_20221210_204825638.jpg PXL_20221210_205119265.jpg PXL_20221210_204846077~2.jpg
PXL_20221210_204749802~2.jpg PXL_20221210_204753841.jpg PXL_20221210_204745393.jpg

Last edited:
It does look familiar, but I can't think place it just yet.

Is there any voltage going into the yransformer to start with?

Dave

Do you have an S100 video card? So the DB25 and BNC connect to to a video card on the S100 bus and the terminal is just a screen and keyboard. It looks vaguely Hazeltine(ish) but I can't see a matching one on the terminal wiki

Do you have an S100 video card? So the DB25 and BNC connect to to a video card on the S100 bus and the terminal is just a screen and keyboard.

No that's the weird thing, I got 2 complete systems and several other cards but none of them were an actual video card - they all just output serial only. Do you know of any S-100 cards that might be compatible with this setup? I may want to build up a system for this...

I think it's a homebrew terminal. Looks like the case is a terminal style aftermarket case as compared to the flat aftermarket case used for the Sol-PC board here: https://vintagecomputer.ca/processor-technology-sol-pc-an-early-sol-20-minus-the-20/ I think they put in a monitor and Cherry aftermarket B70 Pro keyboard shown here: https://vintagecomputer.ca/cherry-b70-pro/ I still love it. Very cool.

Wow, good eye! That SOL-20 base looks just like this. So they must have sold a model with a built-in screen? Because the top was definitely mass-produced at least in some capacity - it's some kind of composite material looks molded or maybe its fiberglass. Unfortunately that page doesn't mention anything about the enclosure/case. You're dead on for the keyboard, too! How common was that keyboard back in the day?

Last edited:
Well whatever it is, it would look right at home next to an Intel Intellec MDS-800 development system (or an old-school Mostek Z80 development system for that matter). :)

Once I replace that transformer, how could I test this? I'm not at all familiar with video signals on a BNC connector - I'm assuming it's not just a standard composite signal..

Ideally, it would be a simple composite video signal (i.e. with sync embedded). However, I don't know what you have there, so it's difficult to be certain.

So they must have sold a model with a built-in screen? You're dead on for the keyboard, too! How common was that keyboard back in the day?
This is just a guess but that set up looks like a consumer monitor (with the back removed) and the keyboard noted above were fitted into the aftermarket case. I don't think the monitor was built into the case originally. The keyboard output was fed to the DB25 connector and the monitor composite input jack was relocated to the rear of the case. I don't see any logic board that would make it an actual terminal. It was just a nicey packaged keyboard and monitor. I'm not sure how common the keyboard was but I have two. One was the one with sold with the optional case and the other I have is just the keyboard mechanism as it would have more commonly sold.

No that's the weird thing, I got 2 complete systems and several other cards but none of them were an actual video card - they all just output serial only. Do you know of any S-100 cards that might be compatible with this setup? I may want to build up a system for this...
I am not familiar with S100, I am really an SS50 person, but I own a couple of SS50 video boards and keyboards that would work with the unit. A bit of E-Bay searching turned up this :-

which has been there since Aug-18th so the seller may be amenable to a best and final offer. (search computers for "s100 video card" and order by newly listed and you see date listed)
there is info here (i think this is the right board, you can check):-

which has a link to the manual. I suggest this board as it has a keyboard interface. My only worry would be bit-rot in the e-prom. If its ok I would dump it ASAP. I think the other chips are replaceable.

... but I have no experience of S100 systems, and there are other video cards on e-bay that could work, and I haven't checked sold items for real prices.

Back