• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What supports dual pentiums?

Pepinno

Veteran Member
SCO Unixware was one. Quite a few "real" UNIXes. We had a mutli-processor 386 in high school that ran "real" BSD.

As you say, also SCO OpenServer will run on that dual pentium-1 board just fine. It's System V Release 3.2 based, has TCP/IP, SMP support, an optional X11R5 GUI, and all the unix bundle (with the original true blood Bourne Shell, also).

Samir

Experienced Member
From what I remember, there was also a SMP version of NT that was designed for dual processor systems. I'll have to see how the dual processor thing works. I have a bunch of IBM PP200s that were all dual processor capable. :D

IBMMuseum

Veteran Member
From what I remember, there was also a SMP version of NT that was designed for dual processor systems. I'll have to see how the dual processor thing works. I have a bunch of IBM PP200s that were all dual processor capable. :D

The thread was opened by asking what else *besides* Windows NT supported multiple CPUs. NT Workstation supports a single or two CPUs. The next level, NT Server, supports between one to four CPUs. Above four CPUs, I remember "NT Enterprise", but forget the upper limit of CPUs you could use.

As I remember, you had to select the multi-processor kernel on install...

There are several IBM Servers (and a desktop system) that were dual PPro-capable. A few of those had a dual Slot 1 CPU card that could be used instead. In truly huge cases (but ultimately the same motherboard) there were a couple quad PPro servers.

And mixed PCI/MCA bus Server 720, that could have up to six Socket 7 Pentiums, or five CPU cards to install a second memory card to reach up to 2Gb RAM...

Raven

Veteran Member
Windows 98SE can support dual processors, but it's by way of a special new API that the community has created, and new programs must be coded to work with it. It would be a cool project to do it on era hardware like a dual Pentium box, though. :D

Anonymous Freak

Veteran Member
Windows 98SE can support dual processors, but it's by way of a special new API that the community has created, and new programs must be coded to work with it. It would be a cool project to do it on era hardware like a dual Pentium box, though. :D

I would love to see info on that. That strikes me as both insane that any community effort would bother, and incredible that they got it to work.

Back in pre-OS-X Apple days, the OS itself wasn't multi-processor aware, but a system extension made the second CPU available to applications. Is it something like that?

Raven

Veteran Member
Very lively Win9x community here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/91-windows-9x-member-projects/

http://rloew.limewebs.com/
This guy (a member at the MSFN forum aforementioned) has made many 98SE breakthroughs, including the API for multicore, also one for 64-bit RAM access, a patch to fix the RAM limitations at ~1.5GB, etc. Some of these things are sold, not given away, though - in fact all of rloew's things are.. which is why they haven't caught on... :(