• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what to do at end of life

How did you come to this conclusion?
Common sense. There are several ways to get CO into my house, and all of them are more obvious than the CO. Either something is burning, or someone is intentionally funneling car exhaust into the house. Perhaps I need a tornado-last-night detector or a nuclear bomb happened yesterday detector.

Carbon monoxide is known as a silent killer. It's not often associated with house fires; exactly the opposite - it poisons people over a period of hours, whether they are awake or sleeping.
So why don't we mandate radon and asbestos detectors?

When the govt mandates I have to marry someone of the same sex I'll have a problem. Alarms I don't have a problem with.
"First they came for the jews, and I didn't care because I wasn't jewish."

For melting wot? I'm in the early stages of building an resistance element furnace, I've done it in the past. It's easy, and much safer then gas, as long qs you're vigilant.
For heating the building. I use charcoal when I'm heat-treating steel.

The general idea is to save many lives, those that aren't capable of instituting safeguards and others. And pets. Really every life that's threatened. My mother quit smoking around the time I was born, yet died of lung cancer last year. Could radon have been the culprit?
There are many other threats to life which should be mitigated then. Automobile accidents are a huge threat to life. So limiting driving to those in government, military, and those with special permits would be best.

Here's the bit with CO. If you have a gas furnace, water header or even a wood stove, a blockage or leak in the flue can quietly flood your house with monoxide. If awake, you'll maybe notice a slight headache or dizziness. If asleep, you'll never awaken.
Precisely. If you have none of those things, you're still required to spend $50 every ten years. Chump change; they could charge a $10 poll tax and that would be chump change, too.

In my state, if you have none of those sources, you need only install smoke detectors. Poll taxes were struck down years ago by the Supreme Court, BTW.

So why don't we mandate radon and asbestos detectors

Mwybe we should.

"First they came for the jews, and I didn't care because I wasn't jewish."

That's the whole point. I don't want them coming for anyone, including people like me who are settled and clear as to their sexuality.

There are many other threats to life which should be mitigated then. Automobile accidents are a huge threat to life. So limiting driving to those in government, military, and those with special permits would be best.

These extreme leaps of logic are silly, and not at all productive to adult conversation.

Precisely. If you have none of those things, you're still required to spend $50 every ten years. Chump change; they could charge a $10 poll tax and that would be chump change, too.

We are required to renew our driver's licenses periodically. And registration. And pay insurance on our vehicles, homes, etc. No one is advocating a poll tax. But we pay one already, as the poll workers need to get paid. And administering an election costs a lot of money also.

When you look at the world through dirty glass, the whole world looks dirty.

What permeates our modern culture is the "Me first, screw everyone else!" attitude. Who needs personal responsibility? Government will take care of us.

When you look at the world through dirty glass, the whole world looks dirty.

What permeates our modern culture is the "Me first, screw everyone else!" attitude. Who needs personal responsibility? Government will take care of us.

"Me first, screw everyone else!" sounds suspiciously like somebody claiming they know enough to self-exempt themselves some from pretty simple, not hard to comply with safety codes.

You might feel secure in your environment while ignoring common sense rules. Your guests and other visitors to the property should be able to assume that the property conforms to safety codes, and not have to worry about whether you have self-exempted yourself.

Carbon monoxide is known as a silent killer. It's not often associated with house fires; exactly the opposite - it poisons people over a period of hours, whether they are awake or sleeping.
This.
I, unfortunately, know of several cases where exactly that happened. A couple of cases were from using an otherwise innocent oil lamp, and, not being too familiar with that kind of lamp, turned up the wick a bit too much in order to get more light. Just a bit, mind, not enough to get into black smoke mode.

No one should ever have a burning object of any kind in an unventilated space. Many new homes are technically unventilated when it come to burning objects.
Dwight

Not to go off topic.
But when I read the title of this thread I instantly thought of the the united appeal for the dead.
united appeal for the dead said:
It is also important to know what to do you when you die. 1) Don't try to drive a car. 2) Do not operate heavy machinery. 3) Do not talk.

Back