• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What type of switch is a standard ATX power switch?

jamesbeat

Experienced Member
Chippewa Falls, WI (Home of Cray Research!)
I'm building an emulation box based on a Raspberry Pi, which I am mounting in a PC case.
I'm in the final stages now, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the power switch.

I'm using an ATX case, which obviously has a momentary power switch.
I need to use a latching switch for the Pi, and I'm hoping to find a latching version of the current power switch so that it's a simple like-for-like swap.

It's a standard switch like is found on pretty much every ATX machine, like the one in this photo:

Switch.jpg

I've seen switches like this in all sorts of devices, so it must be some kind of off the shelf item, but I can't seem to find out what this type of switch is called.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

(and also, does a latching version exist?)

You can get switches in any sort configuration, including alternate on-off.

The type you're looking for is a "momentary contact". Do a web search and then pick one.

Personally, I'd use the biggest illuminated pushbutton that I could find if I were building a steampunk project.

Reminds me of when I was a kid using big knife switches (you know, the really big long-handled ones mounted on soapstone bases) to control my model trains.

I built an AT 486 machine into an ATX case, and one of the things I needed to do was switch out the case's momentary on switch to one that would latch and ground the green wire on the PSU to turn it on. It was a royal pain to find the same switch for it.

I had to measure it out, and look at about a million data sheets to find the right one. I have some left over and they look like the one you have pictured. What are the dimensions of the switch you are looking for? I can check to see if the ones I have match and if so I can mail you one.

You can get switches in any sort configuration, including alternate on-off.

The type you're looking for is a "momentary contact". Do a web search and then pick one.

I did a web search, but it looks like 'momentary contact' is a generic term, meaning the same as 'push to make'.
I was hoping that there is a name for this specific type of switch.
For example, if I needed a switch for my arcade cabinet, I would know to order a standard microswitch - its an industry standard spec.

I built an AT 486 machine into an ATX case, and one of the things I needed to do was switch out the case's momentary on switch to one that would latch and ground the green wire on the PSU to turn it on. It was a royal pain to find the same switch for it.

I had to measure it out, and look at about a million data sheets to find the right one. I have some left over and they look like the one you have pictured. What are the dimensions of the switch you are looking for? I can check to see if the ones I have match and if so I can mail you one.

That would be great :)
I'm at work at the moment, but I'll measure it when I get home.

Personally, I'd use the biggest illuminated pushbutton that I could find if I were building a steampunk project.

Reminds me of when I was a kid using big knife switches (you know, the really big long-handled ones mounted on soapstone bases) to control my model trains.

It's not a steampunk project, I'm just making a standard beige box with a Raspberry Pi inside.
I just need to modify the switch because the power supply requirement is different.

Using a Pi makes things easier because it is passively cooled, which means that I can put it in a vintage PC case without having to cut holes in it and run noisy fans.
Externally it will just look like a generic vintage PC.

Ok, the square body is 8.3mm x 8.3mm x 8.3mm.
From the rear of the switch to the tip of the plunger (plunger not depressed) it measures 14mm.
The plunger itself measures 2mm x 2.9mm.

Ok, the square body is 8.3mm x 8.3mm x 8.3mm.
From the rear of the switch to the tip of the plunger (plunger not depressed) it measures 14mm.
The plunger itself measures 2mm x 2.9mm.

Okay, I'll measure the ones I have, but it won't be till this weekend though. I'm out of town for a day or two.

As I said, it's a normal turbo switch as used on practically every AT and most XT clones; surprised you had trouble finding one.
Here's a lot of 30 for $1.22; looks like they're a mm smaller but I suppose you could shim it if you had to:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-30pc-lot...281604?hash=item2cbc64c4c4:g:yk4AAOSwWxNYy59i

As I said, it's a normal turbo switch as used on practically every AT and most XT clones; surprised you had trouble finding one.
Here's a lot of 30 for $1.22; looks like they're a mm smaller but I suppose you could shim it if you had to:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-30pc-lot...281604?hash=item2cbc64c4c4:g:yk4AAOSwWxNYy59i

Looks like they are sold based on their dimensions, in which case the one I need would be 8x8x14 or thereabouts.
I actually found some on ebay using these search terms, but you have to buy 40 of them for nearly $9. The 7x7x12 ones in the link are a lot of 30 for $1.22.

I suppose it would be reasonably easy to make the 7x7x12 one fit, but it would mean waiting weeks for them to arrive from Hong Kong.

Looks like they are sold based on their dimensions, in which case the one I need would be 8x8x14 or thereabouts.
I actually found some on ebay using these search terms, but you have to buy 40 of them for nearly $9. The 7x7x12 ones in the link are a lot of 30 for $1.22.

I suppose it would be reasonably easy to make the 7x7x12 one fit, but it would mean waiting weeks for them to arrive from Hong Kong.
Yeah, I only posted that link to show that latching ones do exist and are fairly common (and in case you got desperate); I've got some in case lutiana can't find his, but it might take as long for me to ship as if it came from Hong Kong ;)

There are no dimensions on the switch in question, so there would be no way to know if it would fit for OP's use. Plus I suspect that is an momentary switch since it is listed as an ATX power switch.

Yes, it's latching that is the important part here.
The Pi doesn't control its psu like an ATX PC does - the power supply is essentially a phone charger.
It behaves more like an AT in that you have to shut it down and then manually cut the power.
My hope is to simply replace the momentary switch on this case with an equivalent latching one, which will simplify my build.

If anyone's interested, I'll make a thread about my project.
Emulation is not ideal, but it does allow you to use systems that you can't get hold of, can't afford or don't have room for.
The Pi is particularly well suited for emulation because of the excellent and very user friendly Retropie project.

The one I have is 8mm by 8mm by 8mm, with a plunger that stands out it is also 14mm from the rear of the switch to the tip of the plunger. So it is essentially 8mm cube with contacts sticking out one end and a plunger out the other.

They are close enough that I'd say we have a match.

PM me your address and I'll mail one to you, or bring it to Manhattan with me in July.

The one I have is 8mm by 8mm by 8mm, with a plunger that stands out it is also 14mm from the rear of the switch to the tip of the plunger. So it is essentially 8mm cube with contacts sticking out one end and a plunger out the other.

They are close enough that I'd say we have a match.

PM me your address and I'll mail one to you, or bring it to Manhattan with me in July.

Yes, that's exactly the right dimensions. Mine measures about 8.3mm on a side, but I'm sure that's just a manufacturing tolerance.

Yeah, I only posted that link to show that latching ones do exist and are fairly common (and in case you got desperate); I've got some in case lutiana can't find his, but it might take as long for me to ship as if it came from Hong Kong ;)

Perhaps even longer..... :)

Especially if you live in Manitoba.

Back