• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's A Good Apple II Emulator (For Mac OS)?

Mister_Al

While my Apple II Plus awaits repair, I thought I'd give emulation a try, but it is way more complicated than I thought. I downloaded Virtual ][ but can't figure out how to get it to work. Can anyone suggest a decent Apple II emulator for Mac OS, or how to get Virtual ][ working? All I really need is something that will let me do some BASIC coding.

While my Apple II Plus awaits repair, I thought I'd give emulation a try, but it is way more complicated than I thought. I downloaded Virtual ][ but can't figure out how to get it to work. Can anyone suggest a decent Apple II emulator for Mac OS, or how to get Virtual ][ working? All I really need is something that will let me do some BASIC coding.

Have you got a copy of an Apple II+ or IIe ROM to use with Virtual II? You'll need that to make Virtual II work. You should go to the Virtual II home page and read everything there about Virtual II. Believe me it is a great Apple II emulator. Another choice, if you haven't found it and tried it yet, is Sweet 16 which you can download from here:

http://www.sheppyware.net/software-mac/sweet16/

of course you'll need to find a copy of either an Apple IIGS ROM 01 or ROM 03 ROM.

magnus

You can find most ROMs on the Asimov Apple II archive. I've found very little variance between Apple II emulators, except in the user interface. They're all pretty good, and consistently can't operate Ultima V correctly. They either crash doing Z-Stats, or refuse to save correctly. I think it may be the copy protection on the game. Works fine on my real Apple II.

OmniEmulator is another option, but you will probably have to build it yourself, and you'll have to chase down the ROM images for that, as well. If you need help in getting OpenEmulator running, I may be able to help.

I downloaded a whole .zip file of ROMs from Asimov, but the emulator still doesn't work. What's wrong?

I downloaded a whole .zip file of ROMs from Asimov, but the emulator still doesn't work. What's wrong?
Since I don't use OS X myself I tried Virtual ][ several years ago out of curiosity. But I am 99% sure that its current version in those days needed no additional ROM images. If that's true for the sake of simplicity you could try to find an old version of the emulator around the net.

Another solution is to simply use bootcamp, parallel or virtualbox and use a windows based emulator (or in the case of virtualbox a linux based is also a possibility). Emulating an apple II isn't really what I would call taxing for a modern mac.

Back