• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's in Canada

NeXT

Veteran Member
This blows.
VCF West and pretty much every other vintage computer convention always happens too far South. What ever happens north of the 49th Parallel? Does anything happen in Vancouver at all that's worth noting? For a while I have really wanted to do a NeXT exhibit but nothing ever happens up here in Canada and when it does, it's all in the East.
Seriously, there has top be something here in the West....right?

Last year I walked into PCGalore, a used computer store in Vancouver. I used to go there all the time some years back and raid the free box. I asked the guy there if there was anything around which might be "vintage". He said: "what do you mean?" I said "you know - older stuff". He still didn't get what I was on about. (sigh) It's a problem when you're from mars.

Yeah, it really seems like we are trapped i some sort of black hole where the idea of collecting old computers because we can does not exist and very few people do it.

Last year I walked into PCGalore, a used computer store in Vancouver. I used to go there all the time some years back and raid the free box. I asked the guy there if there was anything around which might be "vintage". He said: "what do you mean?" I said "you know - older stuff". He still didn't get what I was on about. (sigh) It's a problem when you're from mars.

Wow that store brings back memories for me. I bought my first computer from them in like '96, it was a 20mhz Mac. I had been back there a few times picking up little things for a couple years after that. I didn't get a chance to visit again until a few years ago, and by then it looks like new owners had taken over or something and now they were just like every other computer store. No longer is it a pile of neat old gear.

Wasn't there a gentleman that posted here about setting up a public vintage computer museum up there (vancouverish area??) I seem to recall a webpage with a webcam being set up and one person from the board going down to check it out.

Given, that's like someone telling me "isn't there a computer history museum in the US you could go to?" but thought if you're bored and searching around maybe it's a drivable distance.

We sorta feel the same down here regarding to an east and west coast VCF and not much close by. Of course if I drive for 8-10 hours I can maybe make it out of Texas to another state with something (depending which angle I'm going).

But.. maybe that leaves room for you to open one :)

I've been out of Vancouver for a few years, but I don't think there is any computer museum in the area. The radio museum in Coquitlam, SPARC, did have some "big old" machines, because someone there had interest and knowledge. I don't know if that part of it got developed. Huge collection, underfunded, great museum.
http://www3.telus.net/radiomuseum/

A friend of mine who dealt in old audio equipment took me there some years back. A really funky place. Quite a large installation. Little in the way of computers tho, unfortunately. Anyone visiting Vancouver area should check it out, very impressive with a devoted membership.

Lawrence

I've been out of Vancouver for a few years, but I don't think there is any computer museum in the area. The radio museum in Coquitlam, SPARC, did have some "big old" machines, because someone there had interest and knowledge. I don't know if that part of it got developed. Huge collection, underfunded, great museum.
http://www3.telus.net/radiomuseum/

Most of populated Canada is south of the 49th, too. :) 43 N for Toronto, 46 N for Montreal. Even cities in northern Ontario like Sudbury are south of 49. St. John's is 47.

I'm stuck at 50 in Regina. :) So your point is still taken, and valid!

Back