• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Who knows something about the old NEC PC-6001A around here?

Never seen one with faulty electronics, luckily they only suffered of keyboard mechanical problems.

I/O magazines were the main source of schematics back then; but sadly, if the PC-6001 was ever covered in the mag, seems that the issue has not been preserved (last months of '81, first ones from '82). If some schematics surfaced, they could be of great help!

Indeed the RAM could be very prone to faults, the 4116 are specially weak against power faults...
Can't remeber if there're socketed ICs; but after checking the power is right, your best bet is to try some swapping with your good working machine

I _have_ schematics! A guy from Japan sent me a link to a Japanese magazine with them. Does anyone have a place I can upload them? I extracted them from a 450+MB magazine and they are 11MB. I also scanned the basic quick reference (2MB) and the users guide (53MB) the other day. I will get around to scanning the basic manual sometime, but it is pretty long 200+ pages I think.

Great!, may I suggest some Google Drive account?, as an alternative, there're file hosting services like SendSpace that can host freely small/medium size files for some time...

Thanks!, good reading, I've found very valuable info about the PC-6031 disk unit, I wasn't aware that the Extended Basic cart is needed to operate with disks. Never seen the PC-6001's disk set preserved tho...

I've uploaded a japanese document with info about the PC-6001. It has not too much quality and obviosuly, is in japanese:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/dtkmp7

Took my PC6001 apart to inspect. I see a green screen witg lots of noise. Thought it the trim pots in thge rf modulator. No good. Any chance of uploading the schematic?

I've seen the load test - found it in a TOSEC containing software and documentation for this computer. Be careful some of the pinouts seem preliminary and might not be right. I'll post the schematic in a moment here.

I now have five NEC PC6001. Two of them work. Two of them have power but the video is noise. And one of them has no power at all. I'll need to take the three non-working ones apart and try to fix them. Any common issues with these machines I should look for?

I have two cartridges that came with one of the machines... One is a Music making program. Not sure how to use it. Anyone want to buy it? lol. The second one says N60 Basic. When I insert it, I go direct to the BASIC prompt like powering on normally. So doesn't seem to be any difference in booting with the cartridge and not. What does this cartridge do? I know some old systems didn't include BASIC in ROM so you needed to load from tape or use a cartridge. But that's not the case with the NEC PC6001. I thought maybe it was an Extended Basic or newer BASIC, but copyright is the same as the ROM version.

Next question. Anyone interested in buying one of my NEC PC6001s? I will post it to the auction forum once I have them cleaned up.

Last question... how different are the BASICs from the PC6001 and PC8000 computers from NEC? I seem to have bought four copies of the PC8000 BASIC books and so need to sell them off.

Thanks,

Carlos

The one with no power might have a blown fuse on the power board (there are 2 of them). If you replace it, it might blow again from over current though.

The basic cartridge might be extended basic - it has more commands for disk operation and other conveniences such as a circle command, etc.

The one with no power might have a blown fuse on the power board (there are 2 of them). If you replace it, it might blow again from over current though.

The basic cartridge might be extended basic - it has more commands for disk operation and other conveniences such as a circle command, etc.

Good to know, I'll check the fuses and area around the fuses.

Cheers,

CCS - let me find them - they aren't in my PC-6001 directory, but I know I have the somewhere. Will report as soon as I can.

Thank you so much! I might OCR/clean them up. If I do, I'll repost them.

p.s. I finally got a bid on my PC6001 (with box) over on eBay. Yeah!

Cheers
Carlos

Back