• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Who knows something about the old NEC PC-6001A around here?

Good luck on it - mine came in a box with 20% of the box missing!

I just did OCR to the PC6000 manual.
I have improved some pages as well!
ie screenshots now match the green coloring.

:)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RbrQgYSedOZ9PsvESGhOX_bYsbjAJ_7R

The file also shrank to 19MB and of course, I cropped out the photocopying issues from the original scan.

If you have a problem downloading this file or the Quick Reference, let me know.

THANK YOU all for helping me previously.

Good news. I sold my PC6001. It was purchased by a fellow in Europe.

Now I have 4 more to sell. LOL.

Good job CCS on those manuals, they are much improved.

compunut - let me repost the schematics.

My buddy Angelo just picked up a NEC Trek in box, with two carts for an awesome price.

Super jealous as he has the BASIC manual too!

FYI I have a 6001 with matching cassette in the orig box (the computer not the cassette)....I could be convinced to sell it if the price was right.
b

I just got a 6001 from Japan myself. All I seem to get out of it right now when connected to the TV is a white screen.

I probed the cartridge slot on the side to see if I could figure out if any voltages are missing.

+5V: 5.09V
-5V: 0.75V
-12V: 0V
+12V: 0V

I haven't had a chance to open it up yet but it sounds like I might also have a blown fuse on my power board. Maybe each rail is fused separately? I'll have to study the schematics.

Mine had a bad diode in the power supply which led to a blown fuse. They have 4 large diodes in a full wave bridge I think on it. If you need the schematic I can post it. The power board is is separate from the main pcb and easy to get to with the cover off as I recall. Good luck!

And keep in mind that if the PC-6001 uses 4116 DRAMs (most probably) and the power rails are faulty, the RAM could also be bad. These ICs are very sensible to failures of their three voltages.

Btw: Check this page: NEC PC-6001 repair

Last edited:
Of the six PC6001s I bought from Japan, 2 were good, 4 were bad. Need to get back to working on them. Seem to recall 1 had bad power supply... I have spare PS... and three had bad video.. prob RF modulator, 6847 or RAM.

Has anyone replaced their entire bulky PS with a modern design?

Carlos

As the 6001 needs +12V,+5V and -12V it would be easy to replace it with an ATX PSU (picoPSU preferably). I've never repaired my 6001s; but my 6601 has a new ATX PSU and it uses the same voltages.

Back