• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Who the heck is dons4566???

sjv

and why the heck is he buying up all the AIM-65's???

Geez - I've lost out twice to this guy on ebay, and these were healthy prices. To go higher would have been insane. The wierd thing is that the AIM-65 is the only computer thing he seems to be buying, and he bids on every one. How many AIM-65's does a person need???

Don, you here? Can you let me win the next one? Please?

-steve

Slightly related ...

I'm a little ticked off at the guy with the PCjr on eBay at the moment:

- Has the cardboard drive shipping protectors in backwards, with the tangs that prevent head movement outside of the drive and bent downwards. Says he knows its wrong, but left them in anyway instead of bending them back and reinserting them correctly.

- Is selling a system untested without the power supplies. I suggested that he might do better to get power supplies first, and then he remarked in an incredulous manner that he doesn't know where to get power supplies. (Uh, you are selling on eBay, why not look there?) Then he says that there are none that fit his price range at the moment and he is unwilling to wait to make the system semi-complete, so he goes ahead and lists the machine anyway.

Mike

Why get annoyed at a seller, so he won't get many bids. Some of these people find items and sell them with no prep work whatsoever, finding power supplies and installing them correctly for an item they might not even sell is a waste of their time.

Because he has a nice machine, and he could do a lot better than selling it 'as is' because he won't wait a week or two to find the power supplies.

That's just lazy. He knows he can sell the machine on eBay, but it didn't occur to him to find power supplies there? Or maybe even to do some basic research to locate power supplies elsewhere? (They are not rare.)

His loss. But I should not expect much from somebody that doesn't know what the drive shipping protector is supposed to do, or how to insert it.

That's one thing I don't particularly care for on ebay. Most of these sellers are totally clueless about the stuff they sell. They are not enthusiasts.

Where are the hobbyists and enthusiasts? I would prefer to buy an old computer from someone who has owned and cared for it for a while and given it a good home. I can't find these people. All I see are people who rummage thru estate sales, garage sales, church sales, etc, looking for ways to make a buck. I guess I can't fault them, but I still hate to see these old computers treated like this.

I also want to pay a reasonable price for a freakin' AIM-65 without some knucklehead trying to corner the market. Geez.

Anyone have one? :)

-steve

On ebay I buy from the clueless, since I know my material and they list the items cheap.

On forums I like to buy from the people who collect what I collect and are too lazy or busy to ebay the item for what it is worth (on ebay).

On newsgroups and email lists I like to snag things people run across (or no longer use) that they do not collect but do not want to throw it away.

Some thing has to be very rare and I need to want it very badly to even think about paying ebay market value for it. The fact is if you collect for a long period of time you tend to find the rarer things easier and cheaper.

And what does annoy me on ebay is people who yank cards out of complete machines but do you include the HD (for rare drivers) or Dongles/cables needed for the system to work. You get a nice rare working system and then make it worthless.

On ebay I buy from the clueless, since I know my material and they list the items cheap.

On forums I like to buy from the people who collect what I collect and are too lazy or busy to ebay the item for what it is worth (on ebay).

On newsgroups and email lists I like to snag things people run across (or no longer use) that they do not collect but do not want to throw it away.

Some thing has to be very rare and I need to want it very badly to even think about paying ebay market value for it. The fact is if you collect for a long period of time you tend to find the rarer things easier and cheaper.

And what does annoy me on ebay is people who yank cards out of complete machines but do you include the HD (for rare drivers) or Dongles/cables needed for the system to work. You get a nice rare working system and then make it worthless.

I think I fall into all of these categories from one transaction to the next. Sometimes I'm too busy/lazy to properly ascertain the functionality of an item, so I tend to price it low. Sometimes I unload things that I don't really collect, or have too many of. And, occaisionally, I'm even klewless about sum'n, but certain that somebody, somewhere wants it, so I price it low, and let the market decide it's value, if any.
Case in point: Right now, I'm unable to locate the st00pit video cable for an otherwise very nice CP/M system that I have, which includes software & manuals, and was known working when stored, but I can't check it out now, because I don't have time to sort out the RGB signals on both ends of the cable, one of which is an 8-pin DIN and the other a flat dual 8-pin connector, so it'll be eBayed as-is, prob'ly for a lot less than what it's worth.
On the flip side of the same coin, I just had delivered today, a 34 lb. box of vintage Telxon tablet PCs & gear that cost me $5.00 + shipping on eBay, prob'ly because other bidders didn't really know enough about it to decide if it's worth the five bucks. Ya win some, ya lose some...

--T

Last edited:
While both arguments are fair, the problem with everyone being an enthusiest is that jacks prices up for all of us for no good reason. Just like I'm not willing to pay a lot of prices on an IMSAI just because it shouldn't be selling for what it is, the Altair seems to inflate each year more than my income inflates each year so that's seemingly always out of my grasp, then there are little systems and oddities like why in the world an NES is worth so much while an Atari and SNES are worth less.

Collectors are great because they have a great stock of stuff or have a unit in awesome condition with great addons, but the problem is if they know what they want for it or *think* they know what it's worth they'll be asking more than you're likely willing to pay.

Quite a few years ago we had our first (and last?) Texas Gaming Festival here in Austin. I went there looking for a basic cartridge for my Atari 800 hoping they'd have some vintage gamers as well as the current stuff for the kids. To my surprise they had LOTS of vintage gamers however walking around the room I found people that are selling cartridges for near $40, and several tables down it's $5 because the person just wants to get rid of it. As much as I like collectors, of course I'm going to buy it for less if it's there and I certainly don't find any single game to be worth original pricing. There's also a game store here in town "Game Over" (worth checking out if you're into consoles) however even they have some weird game for Sega Saturn that they wanted $150 for.. I think his comment was that it would go for around $200 if it had the original box or case or something weird. Wish I could remember the name of the game just for kicks (I'm sure it'll be there next time I show up).

Alright.. sorry.. didn't mean to hijack someones rant ;o)

The ones I find annoying are the big "corporate" type sellers who just list part number, and that's it. No real description at all. For example, I've seen an IBM 9517 monitor (the second-generation PS/2 17" monitor, capable of 1024x768 at 70 Hz,) on a "store" for $150, but no detail, just the part number. I tried emailing to get more info, like even a basic description of the physical condition, no reply.

Fine, if you don't want to give me even a quick "it's clean", then I won't bother buying from you.

AIM-65s

AIM-65s

Me too, glad to hear AIM65s are worth something these days (although
that's a pretty old post).

I've got 5 or 6 of 'em in various conditions and configurations; what
*are* they worth these days, just to know if it's worth my while to
fix 'em up and pack 'em up; any ideas?

m

Back