• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why do you collect vintage computers?

I collect vintage computers because I'm a pathetic old man...

Ok name that video?

Do you collect them because you had one when you were a young and reliving the memory?

Do you collect them for their coolness, the look of the computer, Case Design ect?

Do you collect them based upon their history/milestone and what they did?

Do you collect them for their usefulness, Playing vintage games doing 5 ¼ floppies ect?

Why do you collect vintage computers?

All of the above. But one reason you didn't mention is that I collect what I coveted but could not have at the time. I always wanted a Tandy 1000 or PCjr because of the enhanced capabilities (I could run my existing software but also get more bells and whistles on some titles?! Sign me up!), but the family already had a computer and there was no need to get another one.

Same goes for the IBM Music Feature Card -- I saw a demo in a Computerland store in 1986 and was just BLOWN AWAY. I am lucky enough to own two now.

I still say it's because they're kewl, and by association, they make us kewl too (by our own perception). They're so kewl that nobody else even knew they were kewl until we showed 'em all The Way, which has made us kewl in others' views too. Finally, geeks have become socially acceptable!

--T

Last edited:
I am a pack rat, I collect everything and anything. Even if I don't want it, I cant let something be thrown out.. case in point, the dual proc 3.8ghz xeon 1U rackmount my company was going to just chuck in the dumpster. WTF? I dont think so...

my OCD-esque obsession for the old IBMs, really the only Vintage gear that turns me on. My "main" machine is the same 5150 I had when I was 13, upgraded in almost every way to get more enjoyment out of it, but still the same machine. Its my baby... Once I refurbed it a few years ago I begand collecting others of that era. Namely the 5160 and 5170, Now I would just kill for a 5162, it would "complete" my collection (i realise there were more, but... I just want those 4 , maybe 5 if i find a 5140) Anytime I see one of these beasts I snag it up (as long as its for cheap!)

My love of the 5150 is for all the fun I had on it when i was a kid, 2400 baud modem on the local bbs... those were the days! Not a lot of games really, tetris clone, some weird flight sim I wish i could find again... just had lines for graphics. Recently I have been able to recapture the BBS days as I found a way to user telnet over the 5150's serial port and connect to telnet enabled BBSs.

Other machines include my i486DX4-100 box, all decked out with VLB mach32 (lookin fer that elusive mach64!) and a VLD multi IO w/ 64mb of ram. I built it for playing games of the era.

I am trying to find a mobo to build a 386-40mhz setup for the same purpose.

I have a multitude of other machines that for no other reason, exist to play the games I played, on equiptment like I used to use...

I also want to throw a dual P-Pro system together w/ 200mhz CPUs running win 2k and 2x 12mb voodoo 2's because to me, that would rock.

It would seem I build machines out of the different classes just to build the "ultimate" machine of that era. Its a strange hobby perhaps....

One thing that interested me is the attraction some younger people have for old computers. I can totally understand the nostaligia value for many that were there and in amongst it when all these things came out. Nostalgia is a big part of my interest.

But for people that weren't even born then, it must be other drivers.

Eric (frozenfire75i), you weren't around when these came out. What's captured your interest in the IBM 5150? What is it about that machine that pushes your buttons so to speak? Is it design, the simplicity, the historical impact? Why IBM and not Atari, or Commodore, or Macs?

Jack, (Yzzerdd) as another young person you might also like to comment?

Any other "younger" people who never saw or interacted with these machines when they first came out and yet enjoy them today like to comment?

Tez

Let’s see where do I begin, Your right I have no nostalgia value in the 5150, that might explain why I have hard time using it, doing stuff on it besides typing letters and playing a few classic games. I am use to much more modern computers I grew up on 486DX2 66. I honestly don’t know what captured my interest in the 5150, I found one at a thrift store once bought it, played with it for a bit then sold it on eBay. Every since I sold it, I missed it very badly for some reason, but when I had it I did use it much, just like now. Something inside me is attached to it I can’t really explain it, but yes it also makes it even better looking at the history of the 5150 and the design could not be any better.

I have used and played with other vintage computers, don’t do anything for me. The Apple 2, C64 even the 5170 AT, IBM PS/2 line, can’t even come close to the 5150.

One thing that interested me is the attraction some younger people have for old computers. I can totally understand the nostaligia value for many that were there and in amongst it when all these things came out. Nostalgia is a big part of my interest.

Eric (frozenfire75i), you weren't around when these came out. What's captured your interest in the IBM 5150? What is it about that machine that pushes your buttons so to speak? Is it design, the simplicity, the historical impact? Why IBM and not Atari, or Commodore, or Macs?

Tez

Not only do the older systems seem to work forever (as many were designed like tanks as opposed to modern systems that have a max expectancy of a year at that and thus are not built as well) but I HATE EMULATORS so why not skip emulation and run whatever the hell you want to run on the real deal?
Also, I know that like my Pokemon cards (screw baseball cards) my systems will eventually be worth their weight in gold again and a lot of the older systems were very unique. Most laptops today look the same but back in the 80's and 90's they were still experimenting so some laptops had slots for ISA cards while others had cameras built in and others used bubble memory and flash cards. I also never got used to running simple programs on systems that incredible amounts of resources (this excludes Silicon Graphics systems). Who needs Windows 7 to do word processing when you can fire up Word Pad on a Windows 95 system and get the same job done.
Finally, I'm one of those people who missed the era where a computer lab was packed full of wonderful and exotic systems like SGI desksides and racks, PDP-8 computers, IBM RS/6000 systems and other systems that today would only require a sixteenth or less of the space they needed to perform at equal power or better. We are just trying to emulate that by collecting what we can and setting the systems up in our homes (sometimes to the dismay of our parents, the power company or the police knocking on our doors because they think the place is a grow-op due to high power consumption and IR cameras showing a lot of heat coming out of our basements) :mrgreen:.

I am a pack rat, I collect everything and anything. Even if I don't want it, I cant let something be thrown out.. case in point, the dual proc 3.8ghz xeon 1U rackmount my company was going to just chuck in the dumpster. WTF? I dont think so...

Any chance of donating that to a 49'er down on his luck?

When I was 2 I had an AT&T PC 6300, but I have no memory of it. Also apparently played my grandmas Tandy 1000, but I don't remember it either. The earliest computer expierences I remember are with Windows 95, playing Sim Town, Ren and Stimpy, and some sort of spider man game. Also, I remember the Cat and Mouse game on 95, and other built on stuff.

I think my facination in older stuff began when in 2000 or so my dad pulled out his old Packard Bell 486 for my brothers to use, at the time I had an AMD K6 Compaq. I was interested in the Packard, loved the design, and have always liked older stuff.

But how did I get into collecting? It was a fine WV day, I was in a thrift store. I saw an Image Writer II, and everything for an Apple IIc except the IIc iteself(manuals, monitor, disks, etc). I was facinated but didn't buy it at first. A week later I checked back, really wanting the lot, and they had to dig it out of the room they put stuff in to send to Goodwill. I got it all for $10, and read the manuals through-and-through. I did buy a IIc to complete the lot and still have it storage in WV. From there I continued the Apple line, getting a Macinosh Classic which I later traded for an eMate 300.

Then, my step dad sent me my old PC 6300 complete with monitor, manuals, keyboard, and other stuff. That was my introduction to DOS, and I mostly taught it to myself from hours of reading DOS manuals and dummy books. Mom helped also with basic commands. I eventually graduated to other DOS-based machines, wanting to continue the Apple line but never got around to it due to cost for a nice one. Still havent, will someday soon. I got into messing with a Tandy 2500(486) next, a Digital Venturis(486), then an old Zenith SuperSport 8086. I can't remember what else, but I did get into Kaypro for a bit.

Finally, I graduated into IBM with a 5150, and have been pursuing them alot recently due to great design, reliabilty(cant say that about the AT&T 6300s I've had), and their support. Now, at the turn of a new era(ok, a new haul of computers), I've been venturing Commodore, terminals, and wanting to check into S100.

I have no nostalgic attachment to vintage computers. I have a crave for knowledge, to know more and more about vintage computers, their past, and the previous years everyone has forgotten and ditched as having no importance anymore. Their design and usefulness facinate me. I can't place my finger on any one reason I collect. It's a fun, rewarding, and sometimes cheap hobby, and I love it.

--Ryan

Face it, you collect this crap because you're a hopelessly incorrigible GEEK! You can't help it, it's part of your genetic makeup.

(Really, it's the kewl-factor).

--T
That, and my genetic makeup was modified when I planted my face on that electric rail...

kewl factor here too.

Not nearly as young as our teenage collector's here but I always had a huge drive/strive to understand how computers worked inside and out. The older technology and the awesome historical boom and creation of the personal computer I always felt like I was born 10 or 20 years too late or I would have been right in there checking out the newest computer systems and trying to create things for systems that had yet to be fully explored.

So it started off as an admiration for the great systems I missed out on, as well as something I could almost afford (..minus the Altair .. blast it!). The other thought was what I still never did but getting down to SBC computers the circuitry is all there and you get to interface with the processor which is what I really want to do.

My urge to collect this stuff, appeard pretty recently (just about one or two years ago). However, I have been showing interest mutch longer.

Sorry for writing mutch, but I just can't give a short brief sumary of the whole story:

My first experience with computers was when I was about six or seven (around 1998/99). My dad borrowed an old 486 laptop from where he worked, and teatched us how to run windows ["when the screen looks like that, type 'WIN'."] and do simple operaion like using Word, PowerPoint, Paintbrush and FileManager. However, I played the Windows Entertainement Pack games most of the time anyways (escapely Chips Challenge).

I got introduced to Winodws 98 when we where on a holiday trip in 1999. I found it booring because it looked weird and only got four of the more booring games from the ones I used to play. I got introduced to Windows 95 when I was visiting some friends later that year. Then we where playing some more fun games (not the standard Windows ones). In addition, the school was using Pentium/PII/Win 98 computers for 'educational' games (I still get traumatic feeligs when I think about titles like 'Mons og Marte i regnskogen').

Around 2000, my dad bought a windows 98 SE computer with a Pentium III processor. It got some more advanced and interesting games, and I really didn't want to play through the first 80 levels of Chips Challenge one more time after I accidently reset the Saved Data.

However, I still used the 486 from the time to other (The interface of Windows 98 seem'd strange to me). In 2001, I started to use applcations more, as of I re-discovered the phenomenen 'pixel-art' and found it fun to playing around with it.

The 486 stayed in a courner for some years, and was never used. About, 2002, We tried to boot it, but somehow, Windows wouldn't load. I was a bit sad about that, but I didn't really care. This day, I'm pretty sad about it because I know my files could have been saved using DOS comands before my dad gave the laptop back to the place where he works.

I also discovered the internet around that time, and spent hours playing web-games at the local library after school. I also visited friends and watched them playing games on their chokeing Pentium II/Win 98 machines.

Then, a sunny friday of early fall 2004, when I was in seventh grade, some people did some tidying at our school. A guy in my class, sitting two chairs behind me by the windows, shouted out loud (he got ADHD) that somebody of them where throwing away a computer. I noted it, and saw an oppertunity (I coundn't see a reason why sombody would throw out a problably working computer). I asked the school lated that day if I could get it, and I actually got it! We booted it up, and it worked. It got Windows FWG 3.11, but it was similar enough to the computer I first used to like it (even I was only 13 years then, i got a kindof 'retro' feeling for it). I consider this the day my interest for old computers began. This computer was the first one I ever owned, and I still got it . I usually reffer to it as 'my 486' because it is a 486.

Later that year, the school threw out a lot more computers in the Pentium/PII range (read some pharagraps above). However, I couldn't take them because I neither got the space nor ability to take real use of them (I had enough with my 486). However, it didn't help removing my feeling that throwing away working equipment is a good thing, rather the opposite.

The time went by, I was using the 486, and everything was fine. Around february 2006, I also got a Celeron(Blerch) 533MHz/Win98. I was also showing some interest in old software after I got my dad's old DOS 5.0 manual and disks. I sometimes asked peoples about old computers and old software. Then, when I was at the end of eight grade, my parents had the news that we where going to the US for one year.

When we where leaving to the US (summer 2006), we stayed by some friends in Bergen because the airplane was leaving pretty early the next day. I asked the friends about what their oldest computer-related experience was. After some discussion, it turned out that they had an 'about 14 year' old computer they didn't have the heart to throw out. This turned out to be an XT, but I didn't know it then (I only got a brief sight of it, and I only noted the shape, floppy drives and the copyright date printed on the PSU; 1983).

In the US, I was curious about the computer I saw. I did some web-searches, and figured it was either an IBM PC or an IBM XT. I also learned about other older computers (escapely the S100 ones) and showed great interest on the field (I tried to find out as mutch as possible on the topic of the PC and how Microsoft came to be). I got a pair of 5.25' disk drives, some disks, many books (among them, the iAPX 86, 88 user's manual and 101 BASIC computer games), and some pieces of hardware (Serial/parallel/Game adapters).

At the time I returned to Norway (summer 2007), I asked, and got to borrow the XT from my parents friend, and I figured it was working. I was happy about that, but I where only borrowing it. I then started to explore how it worked and I got a DOS 2.1 manual with disks on Ebay.

Then the monitor got this annoying 'flickering' problem, and I posted a message about it in the 'off-topic' area of the AtariAge forums. Some member there reposted it here, and I realized that this was a nice place and joined. (Many thanks, NathanAllan.)

I also got an Amiga500 from a friend at the end of 10th grade (last spring).

Last summer, The previous owner decided that I could get the XT. I accepted the offer without doubting.

My 'collecting' really started when Terry offered something for sale last fall, and when the school I started in last summer threw out their stock of Pentium-era computers. Now I got a pile of IBM cards and compleete 2 IBM XT's (one early model and one later model).

Sumary:
I collect escapely IBM related computers because I find it easy to understand their architecture. I know exactly what's happening in the system, and that gives me some feeling of 'controll' whenI use it (like I don't have to relay on some unstable and complex chipset). I also collect because of coolnes factor.

*In addition*
This message was nearly lost. When I was posting it, I had to relogin, and I got the error telling that I had clicked some button before I clicked proceed, in addition to "click back to return" or something. When I returned, the message was gone, and I had to find it using the memory search feautre of HxD, and convert it from+%22data+like+this%22%2C to 'data like this'.

Interesting stuff from some of our younger contributors. Thanks for posting guys.

One of the attractions for me also is the simplicity of older systems. With things like the TRS-80 M1, PET and APPLE II, I can get close to understand what's going on at the bit level. With modern systems they are just useful applicances, and I'm pretty clueless to what is going on hardware-wise under the GUI.

I'm also taken with the VARIETY of micro systems and approaches/designs prior to the IBM/MAC stamp (more like bloody huge bootprint) of conformity.

Tez

Interesting stuff from some of our younger contributors. Thanks for posting guys.

One of the attractions for me also is the simplicity of older systems. With things like the TRS-80 M1, PET and APPLE II, I can get close to understand what's going on at the bit level. With modern systems they are just useful applicances, and I'm pretty clueless to what is going on hardware-wise under the GUI.

I'm also taken with the VARIETY of micro systems and approaches/designs prior to the IBM/MAC stamp (more like bloody huge bootprint) of conformity.

Tez
Exactly. Modern computers are turning people into end-user pussies, with no idea of how a computer actually works. I'm the only guy in my nieghborhood who actually knows what assembly language is, or Basic, or C+, or Fortran.... :eek: Thus, most people call me the 'computer guru".

I started collecting vintage computers because with the down turn in the economy, they are cheaper than my other hobby of racing motorcycles! :)

OK, what I mean is the economy allowed me to buy several old computers at a reduced price that over a year ago, I would have said "Ha! That's WAY too much money!" I am amazed what people were paying for some of these things a couple years ago. But now that I've started, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I mean, if you saw what I spent on motorcycles over the last 6 years, you would think I was out of my mind as well. :shock:

I collect computers that were meaningful to me because I used them, or wanted to use them when I was younger (I started on the TRS-80 and 8088 base PC's). I collect them to dive into the hardware as much as anything else. Every new vintage computer I get is taken apart almost immediately to see how it was designed. I have even had to repair several of them, which is half the fun. I'm an electrical engineer, and I have all the scopes, soldering equipment, etc. to re-work, test, and repair modern electronics as well as vintage stuff. I even designed hardware for PC's and Macs throughout the '90's. But somehow diagnosing and repairing a 30 year old computer has a certain simplicity that is enlightening and fun. Maybe because by the time I got my degree in electronics, the simple computers were a thing of the past, but it was these older simple computers that made me want to become an Electrical Engineer in the first place, so it's like returning to my inspiration.

My other reason for collecting these machines is to help others learn about them. Most of us here were using these things when they were new. Now there's a whole new generation that is interested in them, and doesn't know where to start because they didn't grow up reading Byte, or Creative Computing, or using them in school. So, the comments by the younger people on this topic are very interesting.

Regards,
Mike

I collect them because, when they came out, I couldn't come up with $5750.00 or $13,500.00 or $8,999.00. However, it was a mistake on my part to not have some kind of a goal. If I saw something I wanted to play around with and it was fairly cheap, I bought it. On and on.... Now, looking around, if I want to be fairly good at each computer I purchased, I will need to live until I am about 212 years old. Can we say "WAY OVERBOARD!!"?

I don't even need to explain... That is me in a nutshell.

I collect them for a few reasons.

One, yes I guess I could say a big part of it has to do with the fact that I am an 80's Child. I had an IBM 5150 at home, later upgraded to a PS/2 with Windows 3.1
My school at the time used the first Apple Mac with a 5 1/2 disk drive.
I was in love with older systems at a young age, as they fell into my lap. I remember my mom getting me a Collecovision at a garge sale when I was about 7, and a family friend gave me an Atari 400 with tape drive.
I also grew up with an Intellivision II that had the Computer Entertainment System Module and Keyboard.
Most of this stuff my friends had never heard of, with the exception of the 5150 and Atari 2600.
As of the past recent years, I have aquired a couple of old IBM computers and parts, Atari Computers and Peripherals, and a Coleco Adam Home Computer, as well as some boxed Commodore stuff.
I have a nice collection :-D

I also enjoy the wow factor I get from friends or family and acquaintances that come over and go "Wow, I remember these!" or "This computer used.. cassettes??" Its cool.
I also like the awesomeness that is old computers, big, sturdy, nostalgic and much funner to use that emulators!!

I found that the "Vintage" PCs were fun to try to understand and to not too expensive to upgrade.It's pleasing to bring an old machine to it's pinacle of performance and accesories.
cgrape2

why i collect

why i collect

I collect old computers because of the old addage about the millions of monkeys on millions of typewriters.

I quote myself here.

""No matter how much time goes by, NO COMPUTER IS OBSOLETE. You can create an INFINITE amount of variation (within reason per physical limitations) of code which is programmed, and you can get ANY COMPUTER TO DO ANY TASK.

~~~end quote.

Of course there are nay-sayers.. but.. within reason,

You CAN get any computer to do something new and useful.

Take people who boot linux up only to use an old Apple ][E as a dumb terminal to do forum posting with and such as the like.

What really gets me nuts about classic computers, is the tiny variations in keyboard layout, the special font characters (or just the shape of the fonts), and for alot of the reason, the fact that I COMPLETELY understand 6502 assembly, and that was the BREAD AND BUTTER for the longest time.

But mostly, the little phosphor text characters and the magic you see in a plastic key that has double, triple, quadruple duty to save money on production run costs, that stuff makes me smile a huge smile.

You see now-a-days, every key is a priority one-use only. You don't get into multi-use keys unless you hit that ubiqutous WINDOWS KEY, which puts the MICROSOFT STAMP OF APPROVAL on it, making all the blood boil, the sea churn, and witches cackle and fly around on moonlit nights.

If they would just break the Microsoft monopoly, and put some pretty characters on the keyboard again (separate Unicode from the ISO people and put some of those cool unicodes back on the keyboards again), the world would be a more OPEN SOURCE HAPPY PLACE to live in again.

I also to bahmizva's.

Lock de la Lion

Back