• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

windows 95

Re: NO!!

"vlad" wrote:

> I believe that's called "Piracy"

How stupid of me, I was sitting there thinking he wanted to cancel his internet subscription!

I even went a step further thinking he'd have to pay to get off the Internet! ;-)

All 'bout the words being emphasised here! ;-)

CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Is there any way I can get Win9x "on" the Internet for free?

That figures, the original poster made a big boo-boo. Instead of saying "on" they said "off of" (much different again).

There's still problems with your statement Terry cause there were "Free ISPs" around, the one I had was terrible though, you needed memory just to run the program they gave you - this special program paid for itself by advertising. Eventually like all other Free ISPs, they decide they want you to -pay-. Still that might be a legimate hackers question for someone who wants to hack onto the internet for Free! ;-)

To safe rather than sorry, it should be "Where can I -Download- Win9x off the internet for free?"

CP/M User.

Is there any way I can get Win95 from the Internet for free?

I have a vague memory that Microsoft put Windows 1.0 and 2.0 for free download some years ago. If 3.0/3.1 will ever be available, it probably takes a while. Win9x codebase is still commercially attractive, even if Microsoft themselves have stopped supporting Windows 95.

Apple put MacOS 7.1 for free download, but I don't know if they have released newer versions. In terms of age, it seems that MacOS version is much more recent than the Windows versions, but maybe it is because you need a Macintosh computer to run MacOS they can release it sooner.

CP/M User said:
There's still problems with your statement Terry cause there were "Free ISPs" around, the one I had was terrible though, you needed memory just to run the program they gave you - this special program paid for itself by advertising. Eventually like all other Free ISPs, they decide they want you to -pay-. Still that might be a legimate hackers question for someone who wants to hack onto the internet for Free! ;-)

CP/M User.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I never paid a dime for I-net access from 1992 - 1999, thanks to a series of free providers (and a pirate/hacker BB or two). I dunno if there are any of those left these days tho, are there?

--T

Re: windows 95

jjzcp said:
Is there any way i can get win 95 off of the internet for free?

Grabbing later versions of Windows off the web is still considered piracy. MS hasn't yet released them to the Public Domain.

You can almost certainly find very, very cheap copies on eBay or at thrift type stores. . .

E

Microsoft even had to re-issue special school licenses of Windows 98 and ME about a year ago, long after they had stopped selling it. Companies donate their old computers to schools, who can't afford to install XP. If Microsoft had not come with this budget solution, I suppose there only had remained four possibilities:

1) Schools would deny receiving computers for cost reasons
2) Schools would install some Linux or other OS instead of Windows
3) Schools would obtain pirate copies of Windows
4) Schools have to have fund raising parties only to afford to use the computers

...and what's wrong with linux? I think they should be using/teaching it in schools more than they do now, since it is a major force in the real world today (and even more so in the forseeable future). (Although I do appreciate M$'s kindness in offering schools a substantial discount (but I think they really should donate it for free)).

--T

I haven't really been keeping up with current IP case-law, but don't I recall that a few years ago, it was "legal" to copy DOS (& other software) for "educational use?"

--T

Yep.

Yep.

I heard something about that. Since the DOS OS has not been supported for so many years, I think they releaced it for EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. Only certin versions. Although I'm not sure of the versions....

-Vlad

CP/M User said:
"vlad" wrote:

> I believe that's called "Piracy"

How stupid of me, I was sitting there thinking he wanted to cancel his internet subscription!

I even went a step further thinking he'd have to pay to get off the Internet! ;-)

All 'bout the words being emphasised here! ;-)

CP/M User.

Indeed, how stupid of me. You don't have to pay anything to close your internet account. I'm sure your ISP would do it for free....

-Vlad

Fewer teachers and techs probably have Linux experience, which means either set up the computers to run unattended for as long as it works, or spend some money on training them how to take care of the computers. Some educational software may not even be available on other OSes than Windows, if the school can afford to get educational software, that is.

I like Linux from a server perspective, but am so far much less addicted to it as a desktop system. In particular after last time I tried to upgrade or install one small component in Debian (on my home computer), and ended up with a process that upgraded, replaced and deleted substancial parts of the operating system. Some parts related to a previous release, had since then changed their licenses which angered the Debian or whole Linux community and thus had to be cut off from the distribution and my computer! The net result of my small update is a Linux system that is less usable than it was before I ran the update tool. I have yet to fix this mess, and get a slight headache if I'm about to boot into Debian Linux.

I am probably skilled enough to solve this by hand, but expect an average IT admin at a middle level school ending up in this scenario? I also have experience of compiling and installing newer versions of 3rd party software than the update tool can offer, and when I later run the tool, it will try to downgrade the software I manually installed to a version I don't want.

Oh well, this turned into a rant. Sorry.

Ok, got a copy of windows 95 :wink:, and it is split into 13 parts. When i load file 1 (win95_1)in dos, it says, "this program cannot be run in dos mode". So... What can i do?

jjzcp said:
Ok, got a copy of windows 95 :wink:, and it is split into 13 parts. When i load file 1 (win95_1)in dos, it says, "this program cannot be run in dos mode". So... What can i do?

This question will have to be addressed to the person who created your archive in the first place. They should be able to instruct you on how to open it.

--T

Try booting to the first disk, or load it onto a floppy if it'll fit, and boot to it. Are those 13 parts floppy images? Will they fit onto floppies? That way, if it boots to the fdd it won't be in DOS mode, it'll be in a windows mode straight from the disk.

Back