• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wolf3D hacked for 8086/8088 CPUs

1707141500012.png

Issue resolved!

So, on a lark, I decided to install Wolfenstein 3D from a CD, specifically an Activision release from 2001. Using just the base files on that CD, unbelievably, both Wolf8086.exe and 8087v20.exe now run on my XT clone with no graphical errors. What is this magic?

However, I did have a slight glitching/flickering of the playing field using the older OAK 256K EGA/VGA combo card based on the OTI-037 chipset, but that went away when swapping the card with just the VGA version of the OAK card with the same chipset and same 256K of RAM. About an hour before I got this to work, seeing me fight with this, my better half suprised me and bought me a better 8 bit capable ISA video card, specifically a Trident 9000 with 512K of RAM and SVGA support out of the box. Even though Wolfenstein 3D works now, from what I read about the Trident 9000, although it's no hot rod, It should decently outperform the OAK cards I have now, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Even though Wolfenstein 3D works now, from what I read about the Trident 9000, although it's no hot rod, It should decently outperform the OAK cards I have now, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm *extremely* skeptical you're going to notice any meaningful performance difference between VGA cards in an XT with 8-bit slots. Here's a thread from a while back where someone was testing various VGA cards in a 486 class computer with 16 bit slots, and here's two takeaways:

1: The cards clearly cluster into two groups, and what separates those two groups is whether they provide 16 bit access to video memory or not.
2: Within each group the differences are extremely minor.

And, of course, with an XT point number 1 doesn't apply to you. Note a confusing point here: you might notice in the results in that thread the OAK OTI-037 was clustering with the 8-bit cards instead of the 16-bit cards, and thus looks slower than the TVGA9000. The reason for this is because OTI-037 cards with 16 bit bus connectors were living a lie. The only thing on the card that offered 16 bit access was the BIOS ROMs, the VGA chip and memory access was 8-bit. This means, at best, when installed in a 286 or better computer an OTI-037 might score a little better than a purely 8-bit card solely on benchmarks that exercise the BIOS ROM calls for printing/scrolling/whatever text. It will be completely irrelevant running almost any graphics program. The Trident *does* have 16 bit access to video RAM, which is why it clustered with the 16 bit cards. But since your XT only has an 8 bit bus I'm going to be *very* surprised if you see any difference between the two.

And regarding point two, sure, some cards are a *little* faster than others, but ultimately the limiting factor with ISA VGA cards is 16 bit ISA can't do anything faster than around 4MB/second at very, very best. Some VGA cards have less memory contention than others, so with a really fast machine that can actually max out the ISA bus, sure, you might be able to *measure* the difference, but... an XT isn't a very fast machine. Most XTs can't do a memory-to-memory copy any faster than around 500K or so per second. So even the very worst VGA card is unlikely to be a significant bottleneck.

FWIW, I have a somewhat more modern OAK OTI-077 in my Tandy 1000HX, and at the 7.16mhz "turbo" speed the video memory on that card benchmarks faster than the 256K of memory on the system's motherboard. (Which for complex-to-explain reasons is effectively strapped to run at 4.77mhz.) So unless the contention is much worse on the 037 I'd expect it to run as fast as an XT can push it.

I'm *extremely* skeptical you're going to notice any meaningful performance difference between VGA cards in an XT with 8-bit slots. Here's a thread from a while back where someone was testing various VGA cards in a 486 class computer with 16 bit slots, and here's two takeaways:

1: The cards clearly cluster into two groups, and what separates those two groups is whether they provide 16 bit access to video memory or not.
2: Within each group the differences are extremely minor.

And, of course, with an XT point number 1 doesn't apply to you. Note a confusing point here: you might notice in the results in that thread the OAK OTI-037 was clustering with the 8-bit cards instead of the 16-bit cards, and thus looks slower than the TVGA9000. The reason for this is because OTI-037 cards with 16 bit bus connectors were living a lie. The only thing on the card that offered 16 bit access was the BIOS ROMs, the VGA chip and memory access was 8-bit. This means, at best, when installed in a 286 or better computer an OTI-037 might score a little better than a purely 8-bit card solely on benchmarks that exercise the BIOS ROM calls for printing/scrolling/whatever text. It will be completely irrelevant running almost any graphics program. The Trident *does* have 16 bit access to video RAM, which is why it clustered with the 16 bit cards. But since your XT only has an 8 bit bus I'm going to be *very* surprised if you see any difference between the two.

And regarding point two, sure, some cards are a *little* faster than others, but ultimately the limiting factor with ISA VGA cards is 16 bit ISA can't do anything faster than around 4MB/second at very, very best. Some VGA cards have less memory contention than others, so with a really fast machine that can actually max out the ISA bus, sure, you might be able to *measure* the difference, but... an XT isn't a very fast machine. Most XTs can't do a memory-to-memory copy any faster than around 500K or so per second. So even the very worst VGA card is unlikely to be a significant bottleneck.

FWIW, I have a somewhat more modern OAK OTI-077 in my Tandy 1000HX, and at the 7.16mhz "turbo" speed the video memory on that card benchmarks faster than the 256K of memory on the system's motherboard. (Which for complex-to-explain reasons is effectively strapped to run at 4.77mhz.) So unless the contention is much worse on the 037 I'd expect it to run as fast as an XT can push it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that. With that knowledge, these OTI-037 based cards will stay out of anything 286 or higher.

Honestly, I'd be satisfied if I could run Windows 3.0 in 256 color mode on the TVGA9000 with 512K RAM at 640x480. Right now, I am stuck at 640x480 16 color mode due to the 256K RAM on the OTI-037 cards.

Back