• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Writing PC booter img files

Wait Mike. You got dskimg working on a pcjr? I posed this question a year or two ago and i was told the non PC compatibility of the pcjr makes Dskimg incompatible on the pcjr.

There are too many of these things floating around ..

I wrote DskImage, the same one the OP referred to: http://brutmanlabs.org/DskImage/DskImage.html . That one is 14KB, runs under DOS and older versions of Windows in DOS windows, and uses standard image dumps making it compatible with RAWRITE and other similar utilities. The reason I wrote my own is because I wanted more control over how many times it would retry on a read error; I was imaging a lot of diskettes back then and retries are your friend.

And of course it works on a PCjr. ;-0

ImageDisk is David Dunfield's work. It's far more powerful as it handles all sorts of things that DskImage does not. And it doesn't work on a PCjr because of the non-standard floppy controller port layout.

Yes sorry. I had a brain fart.. i confused Dave dunfields program with yours... My apologies.

I really need to get back into the pcjr scene and try your program out

ImageDisk is David Dunfield's work. It's far more powerful as it handles all sorts of things that DskImage does not. And it doesn't work on a PCjr because of the non-standard floppy controller port layout.

Does it also work on a Tandy 1000 lacking a DMA controller? That’s an edge case ImageDisk was very sad about.

Does it also work on a Tandy 1000 lacking a DMA controller? That’s an edge case ImageDisk was very sad about.

It uses standard BIOS calls to do it's work, so yes, it will work. (PCjrs don't have DMA controllers either.)

Yes sorry. I had a brain fart.. i confused Dave dunfields program with yours... My apologies.

I really need to get back into the pcjr scene and try your program out

Well, remember, it's not PCjr specific. It works on any DOS on any BIOS drive.

I try *not* to write anything specific to a machine. But I know if it runs cleanly and well on a low-spec PCjr, it will probably run anywhere.

Back