• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: 8 Bit ISA VGA Card for IBM 5150 Motherboard

Per [here], some 16-bit VGA cards are known to work with the 5150 motherboard.
Are you specifically after 8-bit cards, or are 16-bit cards acceptable too ?

Your chances are raising massively if you replace the 8088 by a NEC V20. The issue is not so much the motherboard but the VGA BIOS of many 8-bit capable cards using 286 instructions.

Per [here], some 16-bit VGA cards are known to work with the 5150 motherboard.
Are you specifically after 8-bit cards, or are 16-bit cards acceptable too ?

Well I guess I just need one that will work for a reasonable price.

I've got a 5150 Motherboard that I'd like to sell, but it hasn't been Tested and I don't have any Video Cards that I can use to perform the Test.

I don't feel right putting it up for sale without knowing that it actually works.

Any Trident TVGA8900C based VGA card will work in a 5150.
How do you know that?
For example, for all we know, some Taiwanese company designed/produced a TVGA8900C based VGA card, targeted it for 16-bit machines only, and put 80286 instructions in the card's BIOS.

How do you know that?
For example, for all we know, some Taiwanese company designed/produced a TVGA8900C based VGA card, targeted it for 16-bit machines only, and put 80286 instructions in the card's BIOS.

Fair enough - I cannot say for certain that hasn't happened. I recently went through the process of finding a VGA card for my 5150, and ended up with two cards that both worked. One was the TVGA8900C based card (which I will describe in more detail). The other was an ATI VGA Wonder-16 which despite its name works perfectly in a 5150 as long as it has a BIOS ROM version of 3 or earlier - unfortunately ATI's early "VGA Wonder" cards are both harder to find and more expensive that the more common early-model Trident cards.

The TVGA8900C card that I know works with a 5150 (with a later BIOS, as pointed out above by Chuck) is a fairly common configuration that has the identifier "8916CX2/4/8 LC2 REV A", has two Quadtel BIOS ROMS (version C2.11), and has the jumper layout shown at https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/U-Z/UNIDENTIFIED-XVGA-TVGA-8900C.html .
There is a very similar version of this card with a single Quadtel BIOS ROM (version 3). It retains the same jumper layout (including the 8/16 bit bus detect jumper) of the card I mentioned above. However, I have not personally tested this version of the card on a 5150.
Pictures of both versions are shown at http://old.vgamuseum.info/home/214-trident-tvga-8900c.html
Usually there are several of both versions listed on eBay at point in time.

According to its manual the Trident TVGA 8900D apparently works in a PC or XT (no personal experience). The 8900D card has two sets of jumpers: one for 8/16 bit bus selection, the other for 8/16 bit BIOS detection.

Last edited:
OK so I purchased a Trident 8900C. Is there anything special I have to do to the Motherboard or Video Card to get it working?

Does it matter which Slot I put it in?

I've got a 10/27/82 BIOS on the Motherboard.

OK so I purchased a Trident 8900C.
Hopefully it will work.

Is there anything special I have to do to the Motherboard ...
On the 5150 motherboard, the two video switches are to be both set to ON.

... or Video Card to get it working?
If the layout of your card matches the one at [here], then the jumper at position SW4 needs to be off (to auto-detect 8 or 16 bit bus).

Does it matter which Slot I put it in?
Not for an IBM 5150 motherboard. Slot 1 is typically used, only by convention.

I've got a 10/27/82 BIOS on the Motherboard.
Good.

OK, this is a really stupid question, but I've never played with any IBM Motherboards.

When I turn on the Power Supply, will the Motherboard automatically start to Boot or is there Jumper or something that needs triggered?

Also can I use a Standard AT Keyboard on this thing and which of the 2 Keyboard looking plugs does it need to be plugged into?

OK, this is a really stupid question, but I've never played with any IBM Motherboards.

When I turn on the Power Supply, will the Motherboard automatically start to Boot or is there Jumper or something that needs triggered?

Also can I use a Standard AT Keyboard on this thing and which of the 2 Keyboard looking plugs does it need to be plugged into?

starts as soon as you apply power
no, you have to use a XT type keyboard, AT type ones won't work
if you're looking at the back of the PC, it's the DIN on the left

Hmm, There are no obvious signs of physical damage or corrosion on the motherboard, but I get nothing. Even connected a speaker (XT style 2 Pin not sure if that will work though) and there are no beeps or anything. Bummer.

Hmm, There are no obvious signs of physical damage or corrosion on the motherboard, but I get nothing. Even connected a speaker (XT style 2 Pin not sure if that will work though) and there are no beeps or anything. Bummer.
Try the diagnostic procedure at [here]. No keyboard required.

Back