• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wtb: dead commodore 1541 central NJ

kobayashimaru

Greetings!
I recently picked up a bunch of commodore stuff with 3 64s and a vic20. I also got 2 1540 drives, which as I understand are not usable with the C64 unless you swap out an EPROM from a 1541. Anyone have a dead one that I can harvest the firmware from?

Thank You!

Hi,

Just checking, would you trade a 64 for the 1541 drive working?

Bobby

Another option to consider is upgrading your drive with JiffyDOS, which replaces the DOS EPROM. The JiffyDOS EPROM has both the original 1541 DOS and JiffyDOS (with a switch to select between the two.) If the only difference between at 1540 and 1541 is the DOS ROM, this upgrade should, in theory, work on a 1540 as well, though I haven't tested this.

There's an article here that claims JiffyDOS does work on a 1540: http://dfarq.homeip.net/commodore-1540-vs-1541/ (It also recommends leaving the 1540 as original due to its rarity, but that's up to you. If the DOS chip is socketed, I don't see the harm either way.)

Note: You have to replace your C64 DOS EPROM with JiffyDOS as well to see the speed boost. Or you could just load JiffyDOS via an EasyFlash 3 and leave the C64 unmodified (that's what I did).

Just FYI, those 1540 drives are pretty rare. You would be better served in the long run to sell them and get a 1571 instead of "ruining" them by swapping the ROMs out.

g.

Just FYI, those 1540 drives are pretty rare. You would be better served in the long run to sell them and get a 1571 instead of "ruining" them by swapping the ROMs out.

g.

Agreed. Why not just trade the 1540 for a working 1541? I'd take you up on that if we were in the same country. I have lots of working 1541s.

Back