• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Xenix on 3.5" Disks?

GhstWlf

Hello,
Does Xenix install floppies exist on 3.5"?
I would love to find those floppies to install on my T3200 with 386 upgrade.

Yep, they're out there. 2.3.4/386 in 1.44mb floppy images is available on various sites (vetusware.com/torrent searches/proisk.com etc).

Interestingly I've just installed two vm's in Virtualbox, one with 2.3.4/386 and another with 2.3.2/286 - it's the earlier, 286 release that interests me most, but there does appear to be more software for the 386 version (including pre-compiled versions of gcc and more modern libs and tools; enough to bootstrap the building of modern utils).

I'm hoping to get my hands on the developer system - but I expect the compiler included with that may not be modern enough to build something like gcc. Perhaps gcc on 2.3.4/386 can produce a binary targetted for 2.3.2/286 though... hmm, never though about that....

Even if all you have is Xenix on 5¼" HD media, you can still install from 3½". Just blind-copy your 5¼" images to 3½" media. By "blind copy", I mean to copy track-for-track, without considering the file system. There are a number of ways to do this.

I did this more than 20 years ago and still have the (successful) install set on 3½".

I have several versions of Xenix, including the last XENIX 386 2.3.4. I have installed it in a Sun Virtual Box and onto a CF card for use on an Omnibook 430 and in a Libretto 110ct. The only software I have found is a Cobol Compiler which does work, but who wants to use cobol. There's supposed to be a GCC compiler that has been adapted to xenix 386, but I wasn't successful in getting it to work.

I keep hoping that the Development set of disks will appear someday.

Back in the 80's, I ran a Amateur Radio TCP/IP station on a Xenix 286 computer. Worked great - had a 386 PC tied to it along with a AT&T Unix system tied to it. I could dial into the system from work, and then access by Ham Radio BBS and mail system. Was a lot of fun. I wish I still had all the software disks I had for it, but tossed them years ago.

Bill

I *think* I may have found someone who has various sets of the SCO Xenix Development system in their collection (at least one version each for 286 and 386) - I'm hoping that they will look favourably on those of us tinkering with these old systems.

BTW, I have almost been successful in getting GCC to work; it still relies on several header files (mainly those in sys/*) from the base Xenix system, which, of course, are only in the development system and won't work out of the box ('make install' chokes on the binary + source tarball of gcc-2.5.8 you can find online as it relies on system header files which are not there), you also need crt.o and sseg.o which can only be found in a really old binary of gcc-1.40... all in all, a bit a of minefield.

I'm hoping that with the development system it will allow GCC to be build correctly from the original source.

Last edited:
I *think* I may have found someone who has various sets of the SCO Xenix Development system in their collection (at least one version each for 286 and 386) - I'm hoping that they will look favourably on those of us tinkering with these old systems.

That would be fastastic - if we could get disk images of the Development Systems.

BTW, I have almost been successful in getting GCC to work; it still relies on several header files (mainly those in sys/*) from the base Xenix system, which, of course, are only in the development system and won't work out of the box ('make install' chokes on the binary + source tarball of gcc-2.5.8 you can find online as it relies on system header files which are not there), you also need crt.o and sseg.o which can only be found in a really old binary of gcc-1.40... all in all, a bit a of minefield.

I'm hoping that with the development system it will allow GCC to be build correctly from the original source.

I've tried the GCC, but ran into similar problems that you are having. I never could get it to work.

Plesae keep us posted on whether you are successful in getting the Dev Sets from your friend.

Bill

Well, I've gotten GCC to a point where it will compile *very* simple code - ie "Hello World" - however I'm not convinced yet that it will build and link anything more complex. It has meant playing with header locations and other nastiness though...

Back