• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT-IDE rev 4 Development

I think M24 compatibility is only a software (IDE-BIOS) issue.

It's incompatible with "Chuck Mod" mode, from what I understand. I don't know if there's any XUB build that doesn't do the double read for anything other than a board in XT-IDE rev 1 compatibility mode.

They've been ready for a while, you can PM me to buy whatever, or use the Tindie store link in my signature or on the writeup page.

Just a note to say that I got my rev 4 board going today in my 515O. I went through every cf card I had, but the last one I tried booted. Really nice job!

Thanks.

Len

I saw references, but no difinative answer. Does a list of compatable cf cards exist?

Out of a half dozen I only found one of my cf cards that would boot.

I saw references, but no difinative answer. Does a list of compatable cf cards exist?

Out of a half dozen I only found one of my cf cards that would boot.

On the ones that didn't boot, you may have some issues with partition data i.e. you need to zero out the partition data before trying to re-partition. Also, did you make the primary dos partition "active"? Or, maybe after "Format c:/s", you may need to execute "fdisk/mbr" to re-write the master boot record.

On the ones that didn't boot, you may have some issues with partition data i.e. you need to zero out the partition data before trying to re-partition. Also, did you make the primary dos partition "active"? Or, maybe after "Format c:/s", you may need to execute "fdisk/mbr" to re-write the master boot record.

I started by deleting the existing partitions, rebooted, fdisk to create the partition, fidisk /mbr, and format c: /s

Is there an order to the format and fdisk /mbr? How ever I did it on my last card it worked, I thought I was consistent.

How do I zero out the partition data?

Cheers,

len

I started by deleting the existing partitions, rebooted, fdisk to create the partition, fidisk /mbr, and format c: /s

Is there an order to the format and fdisk /mbr? How ever I did it on my last card it worked, I thought I was consistent.

I usually run Fdisk(delete then create partition and make it active), Format c:/s, Fdisk/mbr (Only if it won't boot)

How do I zero out the partition data?

Try This

I usually run Fdisk(delete then create partition and make it active), Format c:/s, Fdisk/mbr (Only if it won't boot)

Try This

I got some time to play with this today. So far no luck with the 1G Trancend.

I zero'd the card, fdisk, formated, it hung at "Boot sector found". It does format showing badblocks. I ran the card through a linux badblock check and it passed all four patterns. Under dos I redid everything but only used 90% of the disk. THis time I got: Boot menu callback via INT 18h

I will try using a smaller portion of the CF card, but it's curious that linux says it is fine.

The CF card that works for me is a 4GB Sandisk Ultra.

I'll check another card next to see if it works after being zerod.

len

Well, tested all the cards again.

Only the SanDisks worked. Non of the Trancend's booted DOS. All card tested using linux badblocks as having no errors.

I've never used linux but they may well have no errors, It might be that there is some corrupt data or other still written to the card and DOS thinks it's bad, You may find if you zero out the whole card may fix the problem. I've had it before.

Interesting results. Transcend cards usually work pretty well in IDE applications. Wonder what the hangup is on them?

I zero'd the card, fdisk, formated, it hung at "Boot sector found". It does format showing badblocks. I ran the card through a linux badblock check and it passed all four patterns. Under dos I redid everything but only used 90% of the disk. THis time I got: Boot menu callback via INT 18h

The correct sequence for this sort of thing is:

zero the card (optional)
fdisk /mbr
fdisk (erase all partitions, create a primary partition, answer "yes" to "create a single partition and make it active")
format c: /s

If you're not doing it in that order, you are likely not creating bootable media.

I've used Transcend and Sandisk Ultra cards without trouble on all of my XTIDE variants. I've also used some microdrives (IBM, Seagate) on 16-bit IDE cards with adapters without issues.

You shouldn't need to use "fdisk /mbr" on a new install, Format c: /s or sys c: should suffice, Sometimes fdisk /mbr can cause more problems if used unnecessarily.

You shouldn't need to use "fdisk /mbr" on a new install, Format c: /s or sys c: should suffice, Sometimes fdisk /mbr can cause more problems if used unnecessarily.

I tried both ways. Using exactly the same process I can get the Snadisk CF cards to work, none of the trancends do... I've orders a few more sandisk cards.

You know, a newer version of the XTIDE Universal BIOS just might improve things. Maybe.

Or might introduce random partition corruption now and then. Maybe :) Happy to start shipping these things with newer versions when existing complaints are addressed.

Shouldn't make a difference to the card how LBA translation is being done.

Are you using the ubiquitous black Chinese CF adapters? I've been through dozens of those, and it's been my experience that some work with some cards and others don't work with the same cards. I haven't looked into it too deeply since I mostly use industrial Flash modules nowadays, but I've had other folks report that some of the cheapie adapters use a few diodes in series to effect a 3.3Vish "universal" supply to allow both 3.3V and 5V cards to be used in the same socket with no jumpers.

Or might introduce random partition corruption now and then. Maybe :) Happy to start shipping these things with newer versions when existing complaints are addressed.
I am only aware of two issues regarding data corruption;

1. The incompatibility with the IBM PC/AT 5170 BIOSes which, AFAIK, affects all versions of XUB, including v1.1.5.

2. The problem ibmapc has with r589 or newer when using his AST HotShot 286 Accelerator.

Are you aware of other people with problems using newer versions?

FWIW, I've spent a considerable amount of time on these two problems.

Shouldn't make a difference to the card how LBA translation is being done.
There is absolutely zero support for LBA in v1.1.5. Could that be a factor? Maybe.

Back