• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE tech support thread

Thanks. I doubt the LED is run via software as the LED itself is on the HDD - which is faulty so it won't be in the machine! I believe the controller is more or less on the HDD itself on the PS/2 - not sure though.

I'm afraid I am not super familiar with how XT-IDE BIOS is working so I'm not sure I understand what you mean with the USE_PS2 define. I was hoping to have to make some changes in the configuration utility and not to have to build my own ROM :)

And thanks for confirming about the compatibility mode, it's great to know, I did think it was more compatible! Now, if I could get one of the newer ROMs to work with the PS/2... :) I haven't tested the one @modem7 linked me yet.

Last edited:
At [here] is a copy of the XUB R625 (XT version) that is on my Glitch Works XT-IDE Rev 4 (jumpered for hi-speed mode).

Good news. This ROM works on both my Pentium AND the PS/2 and in high speed mode. I'd be curious to know what the difference is between this one and the one that can be downloaded from te official website but... it works :)

Thank you!

Good news. This ROM works on both my Pentium AND the PS/2 and in high speed mode. I'd be curious to know what the difference is between this one and the one that can be downloaded from te official website but... it works :)
See the last sentence of [here].

Looking back at the posts, from what I see, there were three issues:
1. Your CF was in the situation described in the very first issue described at [here].
2. From the first sentence in post #1,200, the pre-built 'PS/2' download .BIN file of R625 is unsuitable for the PS/2 model 30 8086.
3. The pre-built 'XT' download .BIN file of R625 needed to be altered: Device/controller type changed to 'XT-IDE rev 2 or modded rev 1'.

Thanks. While testing the various combinations I must have missed setting the correct device when I tested the XT version.

Thanks. While testing the various combinations I must have missed setting the correct device when I tested the XT version.
I use the 'XT' version in all of my XT-IDE/XT-CF cards. It means that I don't need to think about CPU type when I am temporarily putting those cards into various computers. (Optimal performance is not a consideration for me.)

That was my thought exactly. Rather than having to go into the various BIOS and change things (when the AUTO is not available), I like that I can just plug the XT-IDE card and it works. As you say, speed is not important then.
Good to hear that the XT version is supposed to work with everything. That's the version I am going for for sure.

Thanks again for your help!

On a separate note, I built some Glitchworks rev4 cards and on one of them the integrated IDE connector does not work - but XT-IDE BIOS runs and can run a CF from the integrated controller. Unfortunately I don't have spare ICs, could someone try to guess which IC I should replace first? I did check all those ICs with my TL866 programmer before installing them but the 866 is not 100% accurate when it comes to saying if something is working.
Thanks

On a separate note, I built some Glitchworks rev4 cards and on one of them the integrated IDE connector does not work - but XT-IDE BIOS runs and can run a CF from the integrated controller.
So, confirm for us that your "does not work" translates to the XUB is not displaying the make-model of CF

Per [here], there are lots of causes for that symptom, but we know that you are using a known-good {CF-to-IDE adapter + CF} combination.
And since you have other Rev 4 cards, we have to assume that the switches/jumpers are correctly set.

A construction problem? We encounter those here periodically.
E.g.
- Poor soldering.
- Resistor package positioned in wrong orientation (I have done that myself).

... but XT-IDE BIOS runs ...
Unfortunately I don't have spare ICs, could someone try to guess which IC I should replace first?
The card contains essentially two functionalities - see [here].
Because the XUB is displaying its banner/splash text, the problem must be somewhere in the 'IDE interface' part of the circuitry.

A link to the circuit diagram of the Rev 4 is at the bottom of [here]. The 'ROM interface' part of the circuitry is in a large blue square at the bottom left. Everything else is the 'IDE interface' circuity.

It's a pity that you didn't use IC sockets. You could have just swapped chips over from your working Rev 4 cards.

So, confirm for us that your "does not work" translates to the XUB is not displaying the make-model of CF
Confirmed
A construction problem? We encounter those here periodically.
E.g.
- Poor soldering.
I checked all the soldering - but I will double check the resistor packs, thanks.
The card contains essentially two functionalities - see [here].
Because the XUB is displaying its banner/splash text, the problem must be somewhere in the 'IDE interface' part of the circuitry.

A link to the circuit diagram of the Rev 4 is at the bottom of [here]. The 'ROM interface' part of the circuitry is in a large blue square at the bottom left. Everything else is the 'IDE interface' circuity.
Basically the whole card :)
It's a pity that you didn't use IC sockets. You could have just swapped chips over from your working Rev 4 cards.
Yeah, I regret a bit now! :) I have them, Maybe I should install them on at least two boards and test.

Thanks

Hey you are a star! Indeed it's a resistor pack mounted the wrong way! I haven't swapped it yet but that's not going to work! :)

Thank you so much!

Finally got my hands on a IBM Model 30 286 which looks like it's starting up. The only issue it has is a dead HDD and FDD - tried repairing it but no go.

So now I want to use a XT-IDE Card with a CF

I've built a XT-IDE Card V4 and from what I've read you need to run xtidecfg.com from DOS, load up the required eprom bin file you want to use and then it will get programmed to the eprom.

The problem is I'm at the chicken and egg stage. I don't have a working HDD or FDD so can't boot with anything.

Is there some workaround for this? Or do I need to get something like a gotek booting to program the EPROM so I can then use the XTIDE + CF?

You can run xtidecfg.com under e.g. dosbox on another machine, it doesnt have to be run on the machine itself.

You do then, of course, need a separate programmer to program the ROM to install onto the card itself. If you dont have that then a gotek floppy emulator is probably not a bad investment anyway.

You can run xtidecfg.com under e.g. dosbox on another machine, it doesnt have to be run on the machine itself.
How does the EPROM get programmed if it's not run on the same machine? Can it write it locally I can then use something like a TL866 to program the EPROM?

How does the EPROM get programmed if it's not run on the same machine? Can it write it locally I can then use something like a TL866 to program the EPROM?
Yep, exactly. xtidecfg modifies the ROM file with the settings it needs, you can then write that image straight to the (E)EPROM/flash chip using any programmer.

I've been at this too long and not ever reading properly :oops:

XTIDECFG.COM also allows saving changes to XTIDE Universal BIOS images for later programming with other devices or programming software

I've spent a few hours on this and think I have all the settings right but still cannot get the bios to load

IBM Model 30 286
All cards removed except for XT-IDE Rev 4
Onboard HDD and FDD Removed.

On the XT-IDE Card I've got the address jumper set to 300h
J1 & J2 set to hi speed (Also tried compat setting)
Using a 28C64
Base address set to D000
Both 8K jumpers set to 28C64

On the ROM I'm using the latest ROM (R625) and have tried ide_xt and ide_at
With xtidecfg I've set the device type to XTIDE r2 and left the rest at default.

Saved the image and burnt to the 28C64

When I bootup I don't see the BIOS info for the xtide popping up. I get 161/163 (Dallas battery is dead) and then
press F1 and it boots into IBM basic.

Don't think I'm missing any steps have I?

Beginning to think it's a hardware issue with the XT IDE but I've double checked all the soldering and retested all the chips and now drawing a blank.

I borrow a friends XT-CF Lite and that boots so at least I know the PC working. (I tested the above without the XT-CF Card installed)

I've built a XT-IDE Card V4 ...
Beginning to think it's a hardware issue with the XT IDE but I've double checked all the soldering and retested all the chips and now drawing a blank.
What about the resistor SIP's? I know of two cases here where the SIP's were installed in the wrong orientation.

I borrow a friends XT-CF Lite and that boots so at least I know the PC working. (I tested the above without the XT-CF Card installed)
Very informative. You now know that your XT-IDE Rev 4 is expected work at the same base ROM address and base I/O address of the friend's XT-CF Lite.

And the XT-CF Lite (there are some variations) do not have a compatibility mode, and so you now know that compatibility mode is not required.
( And hi-speed versus compatibility will not stop the XUB from displaying its splash/banner ext. )

On the ROM I'm using the latest ROM (R625) and have tried ide_xt and ide_at
The XT version of the XUB will work on AT-class computers. That is good for me, because I swap my XT-IDE cards about as required.

When I bootup I don't see the BIOS info for the xtide popping up.
The card is divided into two basic parts - see [here]. So it is the BIOS ROM section that needs to be focused on.

Back