• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE tech support thread

Thanks for the tips. Quite a eventful last few hours

I tried RAYXTIDE and it's not detecting the card.

I then tried the card on my IBM 5160 and it decided to let the magic smoke out. A shorted tant cap. :mad:I've replaced a few but must have missed one (C58 which looking at your docs is very common). Not a major problem - replaced and 5160 booting again, but not with the XT-IDE.

Also tested it with the XT-CF and that works. So it's again pointing to the XT-IDE hardware (I'm pretty confident the firmware is ok) and not some incompatibility problem.

Check the resistor network - it's the correct orientation and confirmed resistance with a DMM.

Tested all the chips again with a TL866 and again they all tested ok,

Then out of frustration replaced them all. And what do you know....it's working!!! o_O

Then slowly swapped back the original chips to try and find the culprit and then all work. With the orignal chips back in it still works. :cautious:

I can only think that one of the chips was not making proper contact even though they were all firmly inserted.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Card is booting and can now starting installing software.

TLDR:Chips probably not making a good connection

What about the resistor SIP's? I know of two cases here where the SIP's were installed in the wrong orientation.
What kind of effect does this have?

I wouldnt have thought it would cause too much of an issue, as most signals simply end up with 2x the pull up/down resistance, and one of them 1x.

That said, one of the signals becomes the pull up/down voltage/current source, and maybe that places too much load on it...? This could make for an interesting experiment.

Hi everyone! I have a Tandy 1000 EX with an XTIDE, which was running fine on an old v2.0.0β3.
I decided to download the newest release, r625 and the its related ide_xt.bin file.
I booted the Tandy, went into the program, unlocked the EEPROM write protect switch, and wrote the bios file. Then the system rebooted after a successful flashing of the eeprom.
Problem is that now, it doesn't boot the C drive anymore. It says: Non System Disk.
I can take the CF card to my laptop and confirm all my files are still present (including command.com).
I am stuck and I would need help on how to "unbrick" my Tandy: My only mean of booting it was thru this compactFlash card.

Info that can be useful:
  • Computer specs: Tandy 1000 EX, with Expansion Card, total of 384KB of ram
  • MS-DOS 6.22
  • XTIDE using a CompactFlash of 64MB, Toshiba
  • XTIDE currently flashed as version r625
Thank you very much!

... I am stuck and I would need help on how to "unbrick" my Tandy: My only mean of booting it was thru this compactFlash card.
Having encountered those symptoms myself, I am very confident that I know the cause.
Visit [here] and look at the entry that starts with, "I upgraded the release of 2.0.0 Beta 3+"

Having encountered those symptoms myself, I am very confident that I know the cause.
Visit [here] and look at the entry that starts with, "I upgraded the release of 2.0.0 Beta 3+"
Thank you deeply, modem7. I in fact was about to write back in this forum because I found and fixed the problem by myself just a minute ago, and you were absolutely correct. My problem came from this note related pertaining to r622:

SymptomI upgraded the release of 2.0.0 Beta 3+ of the XTIDE Universal BIOS (XUB) on my XT-IDE card to another release. Everything was working before, but now when I boot from the CF, I see "Missing operating system". Sometimes I saw, "Non-System disk or disk error"
ObservationBooting problem only? I could see that the files are there, and can be read okay (as confirmed by CRC comparisons).
ExampleUpgrading R602 to R622.
Fix #1Using the XTIDECFG program (the one from the particular XUB version that you upgraded to), reconfigure the XTIDE Universal BIOS (XUB), changing the 'CHS translation method' setting to 'Assisted LBA'.

XTIDECFG navigation: {Configure XTIDE Universal BIOS} {Primary IDE controller} {Master drive} {CHS translation method}
Fix #2Or,
Step 1 - Use FDISK to delete the existing partition. (Or wipe the CF, or wipe the first sector of the CF.)
Step 2 - Redo the partitioning and formatting of the CF (example at here).
Fix #3Or, restore the XUB release to what it was.
CauseReference: The 'Changes' section of here.
The behaviour is due to a bug fix that was implemented in release R606.
Per the reference, it affects drives with a cylinder count less than or equal to 1024.

To fix my problem, I had to involve multiple PCs thru complex copies between modern PC with internal, 3.5 1.44MB floppy, to 5.25 360KB floppy, to SYS a diskette using MS-DOS 5.0, bring that back to the Tandy, and then FDISK my CF, reformat it, sys it, and bingo: It now boots like a champion. My Tandy is no longer a brick. This forum is awesome!

To fix my problem, I had to ...
Down the track, the XUB in the XT-IDE's EEPROM could get corrupted. So it good to have ready, a DOS boot floppy with XTIDECFG.EXE and IDE_XT.BIN on it (in your case, those from R625).

And I think having a spare EEPROM is a good idea as well. Over the years, I have experienced failures of those.

Back