• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

You ain't gonna believe this...

Interesting. I'd be interested in more of the details on how he's getting telnet access though. I guess he connects the Mac to the 100 via bluetooth and then he used screen to dump the output from his CLI telnet session to the TRS. If it was fully usable that'd be pretty sweet although it'd be cooler if you could initiate the session from the TRS side. Wonder what other systems this hack could be applied to though.. I guess maybe a c64 or anything else if you knew the pins on the serial controller?

- John

I thought I was subscribed to the ML, but come to think, it's been a long time since I received anything from them.

Actually, the M100 is just acting as a terminal, with the real telnet session running on a nearby PC (Mac?), the same way that I used to use mine to access my unix shell account(s), only I was hardwired to the PC thru the serial port. It's the wireless thing that's kewl (and new to me).

I get the impression that the BlueSMiRF hardware can be used with other vintage computers as well. Seems simple enough, only four wires are necessary, +5, TX, RX & GND, coming right off the you-rat. I'd kinda like to try using my PX-8 on the I-net.

--T

Last edited:
The original idea, was to make a wireless M100-to-PC interface for using the PC as a PDD/PDD2 for the M100 (I myself, have Digi and Lantronic serial-to-WiFi boxes) and progressed from there.

EDIT:

No, I stand corrected.
Someone on the M100 list found that web page, and reported it to the CLub 100 mailing list.

I think Stephen Adolph (M10x hardware God) is working on something.
If you guys haven;t seen what Stephen has done, man, are you missing out!
You need to check out the ReMem (for M100,M102, NEC 8201a):

http://www.istop.com/~sadolph/remem_home.html

T

Last edited:
Disk drive emulation for the Epson is not really necessary, as it has already been done, (and very well, I might add). I'm not sure whether a termcap/terminfo is available for the PX-8 tho, like there is for the M100. I would try to write my own, but I'm not much of a network guy. I wouldn't know an IP stack from a short stack at IHOP.

--T

I have 2 - I'm just wondering how ya crossed that bridge...

Don;t ya remember how Chuck and I firs met on here?
I bought one of those NIB ones? And asked the guy about a RAMDisk, and he gave me one for $15?
And Chuck's email never got replied to? Even though he emailed WEEKS earlier than I did?

:bigups:

T

Oh yeah, <shaking out cobwebs>, I remember now...

I was just reminiscing about using my M100 on daNet and thinking how much nicer it'd be to do the same with the PX-8. Only thing I didn't like (besides the umbilical cord to the PC) was the 40-column screen. It tends to play tricks on my eyes.

--T

Terry, looks really simple to hardwire the Blue SMiRF to most anything that uses TX and RX lines. They have to be intercepted before the TTL signals are converted to RS232 level voltages. If you have a machine with serial that runs at 9600 or faster, you can do this. With a bluetooth receiver on your PC or Mac, you have a bluetooth serial port and you just connect up. Fun stuff but $64 is a bit pricey when the dongle for my PC cost $5.

Vince

I have used bluetooth serial modules on quite a bit of stuff in the past, it's just like having a line driver on the end of your uart.
We did have slight problems with the other end assigning completely random serial port numbers for a while (there was more than one module connected, and to be honest I can't remember how we got round that, I think we worked around it by getting the units to send back their own ID then working out which unit was on which port.)
We also had to configure the module before it was installed, but that was a different make, these look just like using a bit of wire & really simple.

Terry, looks really simple to hardwire the Blue SMiRF to most anything that uses TX and RX lines. They have to be intercepted before the TTL signals are converted to RS232 level voltages. If you have a machine with serial that runs at 9600 or faster, you can do this. With a bluetooth receiver on your PC or Mac, you have a bluetooth serial port and you just connect up. Fun stuff but $64 is a bit pricey when the dongle for my PC cost $5.

Vince

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured, including the pricing. As you well know though, something like this with a very limited production run ain't likely to drop much in price, as the designer(s) will be lucky to break even on their own costs. They do include plenty of info, which I've downloaded, but not checked out much, so there's a chance some of us might be able to roll our own.

--T

Oh yeah, <shaking out cobwebs>, I remember now...

I was just reminiscing about using my M100 on daNet and thinking how much nicer it'd be to do the same with the PX-8. Only thing I didn't like (besides the umbilical cord to the PC) was the 40-column screen. It tends to play tricks on my eyes.

--T
How did you get your M100 on the Internet?

Make is the first place I go to in the morning. Most people read the morning paper while they have their cup of coffee - me, it's coffee and Make! They always have articles of cool things like that...

How did you get your M100 on the Internet?

As I've explained before, I had a dialup 'shell account' on a Unix server (Detroit FreeNet, now defunct). I talked (bribed) them into mounting the terminfo & termcap onto the server, and used the M100 as a dumb terminal. Prob'ly not the same thing as what you're thinking of, but you should be able to do similar on any Unix box. Of course, the I-net was a lot different then, the WWW was non-existent - to - brand new at the time. (I remember when they announced that they had passed the first million websites).

--T

Back