• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

You know what seems to be extra rare? Pentium II and III Xeons.

the fact he is selling the REQUIRED memory board separate pisses me off to no end.

To say nothing of the silly price.

For what it's worth I'm not the seller, but I fully understand why the seller is selling separately, even if I disagree with the practice. Times are tight; if you have something that someone might pay good money for you'll want to maximize your revenue. At least this seller takes best offers.

With far less rare and far less capable boards selling for way more money, not sure I would call this price silly.

There are sillier prices out there. Price a Sun 501-4559 Panther motherboard and see silly prices. Of course, I have nine of those I need to test and try to sell, and silly money sounds pretty good right now.....

Well as far as prices go. For the board its not the worst thing ever but considering YOU NEED the riser card.. Yeah that guys a dickbag. If we wants more money combine them and up the price... (of course that makes him a bigger dickbag).

:poop:

If the OP is *really* dying to get on this quad Slot 2 train there are multiple beater Dell Poweredge 6450s on eBay right now for between $199 and $250; this one is missing the front bezel but the seller says it powers on. Seems like a way better deal than that motherboard.

The only way you're going to get anything like a good deal for this is to look up the names of common Quad xeon machines and keep an eye out for whole machines listed by people who are content to just get that old junk out of their garage. You *will* pay through the nose if you try to buy from people who "know what they've got".

Years ago i got one of those HP NetServer LH6000 ??? -- A hex XeonIII 650?
Maxed out with 12 HDs and 8 Gig of RAM.

I installed Linux and did some Kernel compiling and benchmarking with the drives.
That was fun.

Motherboard located for the dual PPro in Slot 1..... Tyan Tahoe, S1682.
IMG_20240119_143952465_HDR.jpg

Found some other relics too, like a Slot A Athlon system, an ATX Socket 8 system, a slot 1 Baby AT with a Pentium III and an AGP slot, and two "brothers from different mothers" eMachines, a Cyrix MII 333 and an AMD K6-2 333, along with assorted Sams Club specials from Pionex and others....fun days.

Last edited:
Well as far as prices go. For the board its not the worst thing ever but considering YOU NEED the riser card.. Yeah that guys a dickbag. If we wants more money combine them and up the price... (of course that makes him a bigger dickbag).

The reasoning is much more benign than all that. The seller assumes the person buying this is trying to repair and old server, ditty for the memory daughterboard. The target demographic is not enthusiasts.

two "brothers from different mothers" eMachines, a Cyrix MII 333 and an AMD K6-2 333

eMachines eTower? Those things were the baddest of bad pennies in the late 90's. So many people had them despite it being plainly obvious they had the build quality of a dollar store Christmas ornament.

I see it as selling to people who have whole machines that are broken and need replacement boards. From the looks of it you need 6 VRMs for that motherboard (4 for CPU and probably 2 for that massive RAM board), a special power supply, and the original case since that is a proprietary sized board.

I see it as selling to people who have whole machines that are broken and need replacement boards. From the looks of it you need 6 VRMs for that motherboard (4 for CPU and probably 2 for that massive RAM board), a special power supply, and the original case since that is a proprietary sized board.

Which, again, is why it makes way, WAY more sense for an "enthusiast" to keep an eye out for a whole Dell Poweredge/Compaq Proliant/whatever that's being sold off as scrap to use as the baseline for a toy build, instead of trying to build something up from scratch. You could probably buy quite a few and use the best parts from them all to piece a whole one together for a lot less money than buying the bits piecemeal. (That machine I linked to for $245 had two CPUs, three power supplies, 3GB of rare hard to find memory... you're going to be in for multiple thousands of bucks if you're buying the same as new/unused old stock parts.)

Frankly this "buy the whole machine" strategy is probably preferable for *any* casual hobby acquisition. Someone who's taking the time to take stuff apart, clean, test, and properly describe it is in this for the money. Which I don't have a problem with, really, it's just how it is.

Assumptions shouldn't play any role in sales.

Well, sure, it does. The game these guys play is all about waiting for someone to show up in a panic because they need that *specific* part yesterday to get their business running again, IE, the money they blow on the "overpriced" part is trivial compared to the productivity they're losing to downtime. They're not competing with the guys who just want to clean out a storage unit ASAP and only hoping to get some fun bucks out of it, vs. paying a recycler to haul it off. The people who pay these prices don't have the option to just sit around and wait for a scrap-priced unit that may or may not have a working version of the part they need to come along.

The very same rusty old car can be a highly valuable restoration candidate or a financial menace that needs to be liquidated ASAP before the city fines start coming in, and it all depends on who's property it's sitting on. Anyone who's ever had to resort to going to a wrecking yard looking for a part they can't find anywhere else can testify that most of the time you won't be paying a lot less for it than you would have if the part were brand new. Maybe you might even being paying *more* for it. You in fact might be paying more for it than the wrecking yard paid for the whole car you're wrenching it off of. You're doing it anyway because you don't have the time to wait around for someone to wreck a car just like yours under circumstances in which you can swoop in and buy the whole carcass to pick it off of before selling what's left to the same wrecking yard.

Last edited:
Which, again, is why it makes way, WAY more sense for an "enthusiast" to keep an eye out for a whole Dell Poweredge/Compaq Proliant/whatever that's being sold off as scrap to use as the baseline for a toy build, instead of trying to build something up from scratch. You could probably buy quite a few and use the best parts from them all to piece a whole one together for a lot less money than buying the bits piecemeal. (That machine I linked to for $245 had two CPUs, three power supplies, 3GB of rare hard to find memory... you're going to be in for multiple thousands of bucks if you're buying the same as new/unused old stock parts.)
This is the way, as long as the machine can handle being shipped or is close enough to be picked up. Unless you have one that is oh so close to working but just needs this one part (like a new NVRAM for an old Sun).

Shipping is certainly a bit of a gotchya for something in this class. In addition to the Poweredge 6450s, which are already huge, there's someone selling an 8450 for $200. (The listing is frustratingly scant on details but it looks to be at least mostly complete.) According to the manual a *minimum config* for that system weighs 113 pounds.

15-20 years ago servers like this are exactly the kind of thing you probably could have picked up at places like WeirdStuff for a under dollar a pound as long as you showed up in person to haul it off, but at this point I think the pipeline is pretty reasonably running dry.

If the OP is *really* dying to get on this quad Slot 2 train there are multiple beater Dell Poweredge 6450s on eBay right now for between $199 and $250; this one is missing the front bezel but the seller says it powers on. Seems like a way better deal than that motherboard.

The only way you're going to get anything like a good deal for this is to look up the names of common Quad xeon machines and keep an eye out for whole machines listed by people who are content to just get that old junk out of their garage. You *will* pay through the nose if you try to buy from people who "know what they've got".

I wouldn't say I'm "dying" to have one, more that I simply wanted to talk about PII/III Xeons(mission accomplished!), but if I ever wanted one thats the route I'd go. My sincerest hope would have been to find all the necessary parts for cheap and then have to artfully improvise a case or something, but its pretty clear that won't be happening.

My sincerest hope would have been to find all the necessary parts for cheap and then have to artfully improvise a case or something, but its pretty clear that won't be happening.

Nobody says you can't buy the whole beater rackmount, gut it, and improvise your own case anyway. Although because of the "modular" "unlatch and slide out" construction of most brand name servers you're probably going to be somewhat constrained when it comes to component placement unless you're willing to get very creative with fabricating custom cables.

There *were* tower versions of at least some of these systems (in Dell's case look for the Poweredge 6400; for a while the rule was the desktops ended in "00", the rackmounts ended in "50", although they were never 100% consistent about it), but they seem to be rare as hen's teeth compared to the racks.

I wouldn't say I'm "dying" to have one, more that I simply wanted to talk about PII/III Xeons(mission accomplished!)

I was guessing that was the case. ;) As I went into earlier, this is probably a hero that's not worth your time meeting. The period in which a quad PIII Xeon actually counted as "hot stuff" was shockingly brief, and the *last* thing they were good at was playing games.

Shipping is certainly a bit of a gotchya for something in this class. In addition to the Poweredge 6450s, which are already huge, there's someone selling an 8450 for $200. (The listing is frustratingly scant on details but it looks to be at least mostly complete.) According to the manual a *minimum config* for that system weighs 113 pounds.
8450... Octal Pentium III Xeon processors. More processors than the 6x6. I forgot they built that beast.

8450... Octal Pentium III Xeon processors. More processors than the 6x6. I forgot they built that beast.

The photo of the one on eBay that has the service tag label on it is just a little too low res to read; it’d be fun to know how many CPUs are lurking inside.

Back