• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your vehicles! Post Em!

I got addressed advertisment (paper) mail today.. from Cadillac Europe. I am exclusively (?) selected to test-drive a new Cadillac BLS, by filling in a code from the mail onto a website, and then a dealer will contact me for a test drive. I can also win a trip to Kennedy Space Center.. wow!

I suppose only the more exclusive brands can afford to send letters like this, and I wonder how many millions of letters they send out to people all over Europe. I'm not likely to test-drive one though, although the car has a price tag that overall looks quite decent compared to other cars in its league.

Heh, my favorite is when you get the fake looking key the may or may not start a new car for you!!!! I don't know if they do that anywhere other than the 'States, but I bet that little stamped key would twist off if you really tried to start a car with one. Anyone else get those?

-VK

vlad said:
Heh, my favorite is when you get the fake looking key the may or may not start a new car for you!!!! I don't know if they do that anywhere other than the 'States, but I bet that little stamped key would twist off if you really tried to start a car with one. Anyone else get those?

-VK
GM sent us a set like that for my dad's 97' silverado..One bent in my pocket from normal walking...lol
I took em to a hardware store, and had good copies made. I think that is the intention with those types of keys.

Yeah, I think many years ago they sent out fake keys here as well. Perhaps there is some marketing rule that prevents them from doing it, or modern car keys are more like computer chips than keys, so it is pointless to create replicas.

Well finally decided to put my beast up. Not quite in the class of Eriks or Evans, much less Mike B's. It is retro tho.
It's an 81 Chrysler Cordoba. I got it off an old buddy whose deceased father-in-law got it originally new and it even has his initials on some of the interior trim. He was an accountant and had it undercoated right off, rarely used it and washed it every time he did. I've had it about 5 years now and don't drive it in winter. I've made 3 long trips in it since which added about 8k mi. The roof rack is my addition. This pic was taken about 2 years ago when I was visiting Vancouver. Still runs very well with it's Super Slant Six.

Lawrence

Attachments

• cordoba2.jpg
    cordoba2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1
A slant 6, eh? Never had one, but I have heard and read many, many times of people singing the praises of this motor. A bit low HP wise, but you have to do something really stupid to kill it. They just keep going and going and going...

Kent

I had a '76 Cordoba once (440, 4-bbl, rich Corinthian leather, etc), but I dropped the rear-end out of it, and just junked it cause I didn't feel like wrenchin on it.

--T

My '72 Duster had the 198 cubic inch slant six.
  • They sound like sewing machines. Lots of valve tap.
  • The cork head gasket always leaked on the low side. (The engine sat at an angle, hence the slant.)
  • Oil consumption was prodigious at 98000 miles.
  • Low horsepower, yes .. probably only around 120. But man, what torque. Tree pulling torque. People in 'faster' cars hated when I pulled away from them at the line. (They might eventually catch up, but the damage to their egos was already done.)
  • Mine had a '3 on the Tree' manual column shift. First gear got you to 15MPH before you needed to shift. Second gear was very wide - all of the way to 50. Third gear? At least up to 110. :) If you wanted to impress your friends you started in 2nd from a stop and went all of the way to 50 without shifting.
That Cordoba is a newer body style .. I'm famliar with the body style that Terry had - large and boat like.

Long time ago, I had a '67 Dodge (3/4-ton!) pickup with the slant-six & (non-synchronized) three-on-the-tree. That's the first vehicle I learned to drive a stick in. The truck engine is slightly different from the passenger car version (lower compression ratio, lower RPMs, etc). Even the spark plugs are not interchangable. (The truck engine uses an 'N'-type plug, with a longer shank).

--T

Last edited:
Next truck I had after that was a '72 Dodge 1/2-ton, cause I was so impressed with Mopar products, but there was really no comparison. The ol' slant-six was way more powerful & torque-ier than the 318-single-bbl in the '72. I soon traded-up to a '65 GMC 3/4-ton, which was arguably the best truck I've ever owned. I won a $20.00 bet in it once, by pulling an Oliver 3-bottom trailer plow thru a 80-acre field (in the springtime!). They just don't build 'em like that anymore.

--T

DimensionDude said:
Nice pix, Terry! Is the OD green job the weekend warrior or your daily driver? No worries with traffic in that rig. :)

Kent

Sometimes, even I can't tell the difference...

Note: The pictures are representative, and may not depict the actual vehicles.

--T

Back