• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Z80 Something or Other I bought for $25

Did you notice this pin?
z80b2.jpg

The chip has been labelled. It may be intentional that the leg is out, if that pin has a trace on the underside.

The board is a nice mystery but it is going to take some time. Good luck.

I don't think this is a terminal per-se...

It has 2 off Z80 SIO devices - so it is a multiline serial unit (I also see the RS232 buffers) - so it is certainly a communications board.

The 2 off Z80 CTCs are probably baud rate generators for the Z80 SIOs - and possibly a real-time interrupt.

Yes, 512KB is a lot for a terminal - which makes me think that it is not just a simple terminal board...

There is a Z80 DMA device - so we are probably talking about high-speed communications for something - or offloading the serial line handling to hardware rather than the CPU.

The SN74LS612 is a memory mapping device - thus mapping parts of the 512KB RAM (and ROM?) into the Z80 64K address space.

I have managed to disassemble part of the start-up code - but it does start to be meaningless after a while. Either this is an attempt at obfuscation - or the memory mapping unit is being used after it has been initialised (thus moving the ROM).

I can see some earlier text such as "PROM DIAGNOSTICS 851119 $80XX". The $80XX doesn't make much sense if the ROM starts execution at $0000 (which it does) - unless either the ROM is remapped - or copied to $80XX when invoked.

The Z80 PIO seems to read the 2 off 8-way DIP switches.

I have seen something similar in my day job - but our unit is a 4-port synchronous HDLC/asynchronous serial port to ethernet converter.

There is also some text related to "NETWORK ADDRESS", "LOAD FILE ERROR" and "SIZE =" - implying (some) of the switches define some sort of network address. I also suspect the 'real' operating software to be loaded down from the serial port(s) into the RAM and executed.

Dave

Last edited:
Terminals in the mid-80s did have sophisticated features, including multiple screen buffers (and larger screens than 80x24), but 512K seems like a lot.

The ROM code does not seem to be doing anything as simple as taking input from an ASCII terminal on an SIO, although I just started looking at it. I might be able to guess at parts of the I/O map (based on how chips are being initialized), but it does appear there might be some sort of parallel-connected keyboard or input device, without which we are probably at a larger disadvantage. There is an interesting string "NETWORK ADDRESS" in there, which might imply that this board was on some sort of network (not necessarily - and probably unlikely - Ethernet). There is also a string "PROM DIAGNOSTICS" which may indicate the whole, or partial, purpose of the ROM (I've not fully discovered the circumstances of when that string is emitted to a peripheral). There is also a "LOAD FILE ERROR" string, which may indicate the ability to "boot" or run external software (although "file" may not refer to disk - it could be Intel HEX "files" loaded over some channel).

One thought is that this board was part of a development system used for creating firmware to run on terminals (or other appliances). That might explain the 512K RAM - perhaps this even ran CP/M 3 or MP/M, or some terminal emulation software (isolated in alternate banks of RAM).

The text strings say it's a diagnostics, so there's that. That's a bit small of a ROM to do anything else.

It seems to go from 0000-0FFF, but it's also writing to some parts of that as though it was RAM. Apparently it copies itself to high RAM at 03EC, does a quick test to see that RAM works, copies itself back to low RAM, and then goes back.

I wish google would turn up some more clues... if I could figure out what brand or such this was under, that would unlock a lot of the mystery.

I guess I could, with some care, hook it up to a serial terminal and power up? I'm thinking that open space in the upper right might be where the PSU would be. I'm assuming one of those connectors at the end facilitates something like that. Never seen those 'socket' type connectors before.

I think the power is on the 4 pin black connector just below the 3 I/O connectors.

I suspect the voltage for the rs232 converters is derived from the nearby switch mode converter (at a guess).

Dave

Back