• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zenith Z-171 Z-170 ZFL-171-42 : XT-CF card

You mean the XT CF card? I have blank boards. Are you able to solder fine pitch things? Or do you need assembled? Do you have a CF card?

I had pretty good luck using a serial transfer cable and laplink 2.

I think the easiest thing to do is to upgrade your uard to a 16550. Then you can do fast file transfers with laplink. That gets you going with ability to download programs. Save on the 360k floppy....

I think the easiest thing to do is to upgrade your uard to a 16550. Then you can do fast file transfers with laplink. That gets you going with ability to download programs. Save on the 360k floppy....
I didn't even know I could do that!
How did you set it up? I only have modern systems. Would emulating it through something like dosbox work?
And I assume by 16550 card you mean the expansion modem card? My Pivot II comes with the Modem and the video card, but not ram.
You mean the XT CF card? I have blank boards. Are you able to solder fine pitch things? Or do you need assembled? Do you have a CF card?

I had pretty good luck using a serial transfer cable and laplink 2.
I wouldn't be able to solder anything because I live in a dorm. There are smoke detectors in every room. I'll give Laplink a try once I get it up and running.
Speaking of me not having the expanded ram, how did you go about upgrading your ram? Did you just put higher capacity chips where the old ones were?
Thanks for the advice!

Mine came with 640k installed. I later did a 1M upgrade which I since removed.

Share a pic of your memory board. Probably it is upgradeable.

Your machine has a a stock serial port based on a a UART chip on the main board. You can buy a better UART chip, a 16550, and get much better performance. It plugs right in. You can search here for 16550 to get an exact part number. Or I will post it here.

Twospruces,

I just joined this forum after following threads about XUB and the Z-171. It looks like you did a great job working through all these problems with this early machine so thank you and great job.

I just resurrected one of these units to add to my collection and would be very interested in getting one of your XT-CF boards or at least the Gerber file for it.

Having just joined, I don't have enough posts to DM but I thought I would post here as I am sure others who might land here might also like to know if and how we can build or buy your boards.

Happy to share what I have.
The trickiest part is getting a CF card socket. I should post close up photos of the part that fits.

I'll have to go back and see if I can replicate the XUB correctly.

Back