• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Letter to my US neighbours and relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
um...

um...

I hate to leap on to one small point of a larger post but...

It was the British Army (who were at war with France) that burnt the White House. That force included Canadians.

Also the majority of Canadians are not French decendents.

Lawrence,

Also, Canada did not burn down the White House, the French did. Canadians are decendant of French mainly and other assorted ethnicities.

I hate to leap on to one small point of a larger post but...

It was the British Army (who were at war with France) that burnt the White House. That force included Canadians.

Also the majority of Canadians are not French decendents.

I stand corrected.

tgunner said:
Woah! well put Alex. I've been hoping for such a good rebuttal to Micom's original post, after my rebuttal seemed slightly off topic. But I fully agree with you Alex. Support our troops!, not our government!

Thanks for the praise.

"... Americans were never especially good at war..."

Try telling that to the myriads of Japanese MacArthur took out in the pacific (hey it was them or us). No not good at all. The basis is Micom you have a gargantuan log up yer butt for living in the shadow of the - still - greatest nation on earth. I always seem to find a Canadian talking about the war of 1812. Let's keep it in this century at least. The WO1812 is about to undergo it's bicentennial. Keeripes.

"...without corpopate or dogmatic christian fundamentalist control, you will be hated by the world in general...."

You're intent on slamming Christians at every turn. Personally I'd like to know how these wicked fundamentalists are controlling everyting. I've met your type. You despise religion so much you entertain MaCartheyian notions about anyone that totes a bible. Check under your bed real good before you go nitey nite Micom. Don't forget the closet either.

" In general I don't think ammurricans are very good at war unless it's on Mexican peasants or tiny countries like Grenada".

Amazing how the knowledge of the last 2 world wars has eluded you. WTF with the Mexican peasants???

" And of course canadians have a perverse sense of justice that wouldn't square with "The New World Order" and would likely be a threat to law and order, not to mention the Twinkies Corp."

No, actually Canada is overrun with draft dodgers. AND I'D DROP A PLUTONIUM BOMB ON TOP OF THE HEAD OF AANNYYOONNEE WHO PH**KS WITH MUH TWINKIES!!!

"I will at some point refute the point by point clumsy attempt by D Patten which could have been advanced by that noted liberal Anne Coulter but with much less vituperation. Later."

I thought it was exceedingly eloquent. But I can't wait to see your response nevertheless. And if Anne Coulter is a liberal I guess that makes me a Maoist! LOL LOL.

"Soon come D Paton, Soon come. as Jamaicans say. You easy. The truth will make you free. "

Try Jesus Christ Micom. John 8:32. The latter part anyway...

oh boy...

oh boy...

I'm not sure the ability to kill large numbers of people really equates to "good at war".

I personaly, would say the "good at war" is the ability to get your point across with out killing people.

As for Americans....I have a hard time not disliking Americans myself (and I am one) when they insist upon calling the US the greatest country in the world, talk about Christian anything or (even in jest) mention dropping plutonium bombs on people's heads.

The US certainly has its good points but so does Canada, the UK, Germany, etc....

No country is the "best". That notion is nonsense.

If I hadda run out from my cave, to club other cave-dwellerz to death with an elephant's thighbone, over hunting rights to a certain area, then I'd say, give 'er your best shot, mate.
Since we do live in an era of *global* communications, there is no excuse for open warfare between nationz.

--T

Lawrence,

Seriously, you have a very dim view of a country you do not live in.
---------------------------------------------------
I did live in the US in the 60s, and married an an American ( I have trouble with that term cause I, like most of us on these 2 continents ARE american based on what Europeans named their discoveries.), who also happened to be black. The afro-american view of "freedom" holds no great promise for the many countries the Bush administration want to impose the US version of "Freedom" on. I have many friends in the US including the noted author Russel Banks who feel the way I do.

Since so many of my relatives are in the US I do not have such a jaded view of "americans" other than their naivety as opposed to most of the world. I do have problems with an administration that even in Canada which watches for the most part the same tame media as in the US considered George Bush the major threat to world peace in a poll here not long ago.
--------------------------------------------------
Much like the general Canadian population, you believe the propaganda that your media feeds you.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Alex do you really believe that ? From one of the most media controlled country in the world, where even your media icons like Bill Moyers and Walter Cronkite, not to mention even a former president Jimmy Carter talk about media control.

Unfortunately our once canadian free press is for the most part controlled by US-subservient corporations. Even the last remnent of our once free media the Canadian Broadcasting Company treads very carefully, especially with the election of Stephen Harper's Conservatives tho in a minority government. Harper would really prefer to be a Texan and parrots Dubya. Fortunately I think canadians will hoof him out in the next election, and our country will once again restore our center and morality.

I once respected you, but you have a very arrogant perception of your country and a very ignorant perception of other countries, which has forced me to rethink my stance.
Your rhetoric here has seriously damaged how you will be percieved.
------------------------------------------------------
I similarly had a mistaken view of you. That was soon blown away when you exposed your ignorance by calling the right of center Hillary Clinton and John Kerry Leftists.
Like many US citizens you haven't got a clue because of flawed education and media brainwashing. But I do believe there is a kernel of decency with most in the US that will prevail once it gets past this abberation that began with the election of Reagan and the militant recruitment of the fundamentalists.

It is of course the US and it's citizens that has a jaundiced view of the countries of the rest of the world and holds them in contempt and goes outside the boundaries of civilized conduct, that ignores the UN unless it needs them for it's own ends. This is why the US is so hated in most of the world. It is certainly no longer the country of Thomas Paine, Mark Twain or Walt Whitman, nor even of FDR.

My rhetoric is who I am and what I believe. At 70 I really am not especially concerned about how I will be perceived.

I, with 54% of the American population dislike Bush's practices, and protested the use of the electoral college to give Bush the position in office, but our system was designed for use before technology was developed. 54% of us do not support our current systems, and we will eventually strive to change it. A country cannot change over night like you imply we need to. There is 46% of America that is too falsely patriotic(much like yourself, but in a different way) to allow drastic change.
In the last year, more and more of the American "arrogant" population have seen the ways a fundamentalist can damage a country.
More than half of us do not support our government, but it takes time for the other "ignorant" half to realize it.
Remember, there is a difference between patriotism and arrogance, a lot of Canada is utterly arrogant and refuses to accept that they are less than perfect(the general majority of their population), much like the French.
Get over it, nobody is perfect.

I guess what you call our arrogance is that we refused to join the invasion of Iraq, for reasons which generally are now accepted as specious, but was the overwhelming opinion of the canadian public, or possibly our opposition to the war in Viet Nam when we offered haven to draft-dodgers and even deserters. You may call it arrogance but I am proud that we defied this monster on our southern flank. Some of our greatest hours.

But of course most of this was simply decency as viewed by the majority of people in the world. It has little to do with viewing yourself as "perfect" Perhaps a little introspection might accept the lack of perfection in the US and the criminality of your present government.
--------------------------------------------------------
[Edit - one sentence: Removed this snippet due to incorrect facts. Thanks to mryon for pointing it out]

Would you like to know a secret?
Every human bieng on Earth has the exact same mental capacity and brain power(approx 12.6% use of our brain)
Nobody is superior to anyone, it is an illusion instilled by governments.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Of course but we would be fools to ignore the effects of
proselytation and the effect of media propaganda at hindering our native intelligence.
---------------------------------------------------------
There are trillions of galaxies in the universe, each galaxy contains billions of solar systems like ours. We are very small to the whole picture, so let your arrogance go.
This world can only be perfect when EVERYONE lets go of their arrogance.
This planet as a whole is doomed if we all don't unite.
But, in the end, I believe people are too child like and barbaric to achieve equality and peace.

My $0.02($0.02241 Can)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tend to agree but of course the US administration in it's ARROGANCE and power insists it has the only solution which they intend to enforce and impose, and reject the warnings of the planet of such things as global warming.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Oh, and Lawrence, you have little merrit to claim yourself as a compasionate person by mourning the deaths of just your country's fallen soldiers. Millions of soldiers have died in thousands of wars through history and just because we don't agree with their motives, doesn't mean they deserve to be crapped on, nobody wants to goto war and die, but it happens. Mourn all soldiers lost, not just your country's.
Cry not just for one, but for all who were involved.
Have sympothy for your fellow human bretherin, not just your countritized comrads.

Hierarchy is our totalitary enemy, not oneanother.
----------------------------------------------------------
I have as just as much compassion for the sons and daughters of the US who are dying needlessly in a war designed to give control of mideast oil to the US as we approach the time of PEAK-OIl, and even more for the innocent children and civilians who are dying every day in Lebanon and Iraq because of this administrations policies.

My focus on the canadian soldiers dying in the occupation of Afgahanistan was more lamenting this needless loss in order to cover the US ass. In first supplying the Taliban with arms and helping create Al Khaida in order to play a game against the Soviet Union and then when the RSU was defeated and 7/11 happened moved against their former allies and recruited and armed the northern warlords who were a spent force but were as equally evil as the Taliban. The cynical bottom line is a "stable" Afghanistan, an impossibility as centuries have proven, in order to push thru the trans-afghanistan pipeline from Uzbechistan to the Gulf. Follow the dollars of that dirt. It's all just a google away, but you have to dig. Check Unoco which now has a new name. Does Enron even raise a question anymore with the US population. It seems only the US populace are blithely unaware of anything other than Fox or CNN 10 second newsclips extolling the export of "Freedom" to these areas. Beware the crusader that has freedom as his battle-cry.

Lawrence

Last edited:
I did live in the US in the 60s, and married an an American ( I have trouble with that term cause I, like most of us on these 2 continents ARE american based on what Europeans named their discoveries.), who also happened to be black. The afro-american view of "freedom" holds no great promise for the many countries the Bush administration want to impose the US version of "Freedom" on. I have many friends in the US including the noted author Russel Banks who feel the way I do.

Since so many of my relatives are in the US I do not have such a jaded view of "americans" other than their naivety as opposed to most of the world. I do have problems with an administration that even in Canada which watches for the most part the same tame media as in the US considered George Bush the major threat to world peace in a poll here not long ago.
All I know is when I watch the news, they don't censor out the dead Iraq civilians, and the media fully explains our soldiers being charged with rape and murder.
I am sure this has an impact strong enough that if we had tight censorship, we would not see our soldiers being charged with rape and murder of children and women.
Over half of our news channels belittle Bush all the time, fox news is the only one I have seen that manipulates things to consevatives views.

Alex do you really believe that ? From one of the most media controlled country in the world, where even your media icons like Bill Moyers and Walter Cronkite, not to mention even a former president Jimmy Carter talk about media control.
Read the above response.
I have great respect for President Carter. Media censorship is not bad anymore however, CNN, MSNBC, etc are always pointing out bad things the Bush admin is doing.

Unfortunately our once canadian free press is for the most part controlled by US-subservient corporations. Even the last remnent of our once free media the Canadian Broadcasting Company treads very carefully, especially with the election of Stephen Harper's Conservatives tho in a minority government. Harper would really prefer to be a Texan and parrots Dubya. Fortunately I think canadians will hoof him out in the next election, and our country will once again restore our center and morality.
I hope so.

I similarly had a mistaken view of you. That was soon blown away when you exposed your ignorance by calling the right of center Hillary Clinton and John Carry Leftists.
That comment doesn't even deserve a response.
Like many US citizens you haven't got a clue because of flawed education and media brainwashing. But I do believe there is a kernel of decency with most in the US that will prevail once it gets past this abberation that began with the election of Reagan and the militant recruitment of the fundamentalists.
I had a very nice education, regardless of what your media fed you in heaps, I never attended schools that were teaching bible classes and not teaching anything else at all. In fact, I have had a very nice line up of teachers.
I attended public schools too, but I never experienced this "flawed education"
I have excellent instructors in college as well. I have made excellent scores on all SATs and grad test.
Perhaps it was your education that was flawed, not mine.

It is of course the US and it's citizens that has a jaundiced view of the countries of the rest of the world and holds them in contempt and goes outside the boundaries of civilized conduct, that ignores the UN unless it needs them for it's own ends. This is why the US is so hated in most of the world. It is certainly no longer the country of Thomas Paine, Mark Twain or Walt Whitman, nor even of FDR.
You're right, but then again, people like them are few and far between. Too many people are scared of the beurocratic machine.

My rhetoric is who I am and what I believe. At 70 I really am not especially concerned about how I will be perceived.
I believe you do, otherwise you wouldn't have replied to a 20yo's rebuttle to your rant.

I guess what you call our arrogance is that we refused to join the invasion of Iraq, for reasons which generally are now accepted as specious, but was the overwhelming opinion of the canadian public, or possibly our opposition to the war in Viet Nam when we offered haven to draft-dodgers and even deserters. You may call it arrogance but I am proud that we defied this monster on our southern flank. Some of our greatest hours.
When did I say I supported the Iraq war?
I believe I have repeatedly explained I disagree with everything about it. I am happy Canada didn't offer much assistance. It is a shame they offered any at all.

But of course most of this was simply decency as viewed by the majority of people in the world. It has little to do with viewing yourself as "perfect" Perhaps a little introspection might accept the lack of perfection in the US and the criminality of your present government.
LOL, I have repeatedly explained my dislike of my government's practices.

Of course but we would be fools to ignore the effects of
proselytation and the effect of media propaganda at hindering our native intelligence.
Indeed, but I have never been affected by brainwashing. Just trust me on that point, there is no way to prove it.
Remember, the Canadian media/people have a certain hatred of America, therefore things you witness on your TV will no doubtably be much more anti-american than what we see.

tend to agree but of course the US administration in it's ARROGANCE and power insists it has the only solution which they intend to enforce and impose, and reject the warnings of the planet of such things as global warming.
Agreed, but again, I have said I don't support our government.

I have as just as much compassion for the sons and daughters of the US who are dying needlessly in a war designed to give control of mideast oil to the US as we approach the time of PEAK-OIl, and even more for the innocent children and civilians who are dying every day in Lebanon and Iraq because of this administrations policies.
My view exactly.

See Lawrence,

If you just have a debate, you'll see that we are quite aware of the things that are happening. Just realise your media would not have anyone believe that, I have seen Canadian broadcasts, Americans are potrayed as stupid, selfish, arrogant, ignorant, and crude.
I for one think your reply was much more eloquent than your rant.

"I'm not sure the ability to kill large numbers of people really equates to "good at war".

"I personaly, would say the "good at war" is the ability to get your point across with out killing people."

Ummm dictionary please. War is war (not diplomacy). It starts where the other ends and it SUCCCCCKS. No argument there. But it's one person is to annihilate the enemy, especially a radical ruthless one like the Japanese regime of WWII. Sorry, they had to be dealt with, and a great soldier like MacArthur was there and did a splendid job in the pacific. If that little creep Truman lol hadn't canned him, goofy I know, we might not be facing a nuclear equipped China now.

"As for Americans....I have a hard time not disliking Americans myself (and I am one) when they insist upon calling the US the greatest country in the world, talk about Christian anything or (even in jest) mention dropping plutonium bombs on people's heads."

Some would refer to it as an experiment. Regardless a group of exceedingly great men with an uncanny ability to see into the future (based upon knowledge of centuries of European and human history in general) provided us with this backdrop. Works pretty good I'd say. Don't mean to rub it in anyone's nose, but I just don't think anyone has gotten quite as right.
A joke is a joke, get over it. Besides, when bigots like Micom go about continually bashing Christians/Fundamentalists, equating everyone that does anything wrong as one, calls them killers and bloodthirsty (anyone sense a witch hunt/scapegoat thing going on?), may as well give it to him as he'd like to hear it.

"The US certainly has its good points but so does Canada, the UK, Germany, etc...."

Absolutely. But there's intense hatred abounding these days for us. Particularly by (mostly) European youth who were weened on socialism. Yet love America for all the bs hollywood puts out. And designer jeans (ok that was the 80s, but this is a vintij 4rum after all ;). It would be good for them to ask their parents who freed them from the clutches of Hitler amongst others. Talk about media bias...

"No country is the "best". That notion is nonsense"

Not at all. People just find it offensive. Good is good. Better is better.

Do you really think a battle won with fewer deaths is less "good" than one with many?

Ummm dictionary please. War is war (not diplomacy). It starts where the other ends and it SUCCCCCKS. No argument there. But it's one person is to annihilate the enemy, especially a radical ruthless one like the Japanese regime of WWII. Sorry, they had to be dealt

I'm well over it. It just wasn't funny.

A joke is a joke, get over it. Besides, when bigots like Micom go about continually bashing Christians/Fundamentalists, equating everyone that does anything wrong as one, calls them killers and bloodthirsty (anyone sense a witch hunt/scapegoat thing going on?), may as well give it to him as he'd like to hear it.

Maybe I hang out with a snooty Socialst crowd but no one I know in Europe watches the garbage produced in Hollywood.

By the way, the Soviet Union might have had a wee little influence on the outcome of WWII in Europe.

Do you honestly believe that the US is non socialist? Or just the least Socialist?

Do you enjoy that road you drive on? Public schools? Ever call the police for help? City water supply? Sewers?

I would never live in a country that could be called completly non-socialist.

Absolutely. But there's intense hatred abounding these days for us. Particularly by (mostly) European youth who were weened on socialism. Yet love America for all the bs hollywood puts out. And designer jeans (ok that was the 80s, but this is a vintij 4rum after all ;). It would be good for them to ask their parents who freed them from the clutches of Hitler amongst others. Talk about media bias...

How does one measure the best? Have you collected a bunch of different metrics, weighted them by importance and given every country on the planet a score?

Hmmm...the US health care system is not the best. The literacy rate is not the best. The disparity between rich and poor is not the best....

And weight management? oh my.

"No country is the "best". That notion is nonsense"

Not at all. People just find it offensive. Good is good. Better is better.

Thing about literacy levels is, America has a much more strict standard than other countries reporting illiteracy numbers.
It is estimated that the USA has one of the highest, but our system we use weeds out a lot of people that would be considered literate in another nation.
I live in the bunghole of the south, and I have never met someone who couldn't read.

Well we do, but don't take them seriously. More like excessive propaganda.

What? you think America is trying to spread it's ways via POS hollywood stuff? Come on, even us Americans don't like the crap that goes on in Hollywood, from bimbo movie stars to the anti-piracy stuff. I mean... look at the new movie about to be released: "Snakes on a Plane". :confused:

"Well we do, but don't ithem seriously. More like excessive propaganda."

Hollywood does not represent mainstream America in it's views, morals, values, none. If you have an ear to listen, and I'm no fan of this group, listen to Californication by the RHCPs.
The point I was trying to make was that most of the world admires what we have, but resort to backbiting when it suits them. It's very fashionable to try to tear down someone who *seemingly* has more (and that is so often totally illusion). When I visited my mother's relatives in (the then) Yugoslavia, all I heard was how we feed our chickens their own shit, and how Reagan was going to start another world war, blah blah blah.

"Do you really think a battle won with fewer deaths is less "good" than one with many?"

Nope, in no way indicated that. Warfare has become more refined, and therefore fewer people (FAR fewer) get taken out.

"Maybe I hang out with a snooty Socialst crowd but no one I know in Europe watches the garbage produced in Hollywood."

Well the Birdcage was a hit in Iran as I recall. Some have put forth the "proposition that Hollywood is helping spread democracy around the globe. If there's any truth to that, it's a demented form of it. I would hope the viewers oversees are smarter than to fall for such a ruse, but I doubt it's often the case.

"By the way, the Soviet Union might have had a wee little influence on the outcome of WWII in Europe."

Yep, and had a wee bit of influence on the slaughter of countless of it's own people. Everybody had a part, I'm not leaving any out. But if the US hadn't gotten involved, sorry we might still be wearing swastikas around town.

"Do you honestly believe that the US is non socialist? Or just the least Socialist?"

Less by comparison. For how long I don't know...

"Do you enjoy that road you drive on? Public schools? Ever call the police for help? City water supply? Sewers?"

If we're going by textbook definitions, NO society is ever completely non-socialist. So far though we're a far cry from some mamsy-pamsy touchy-feely cradle to the grave socialism "enjoyed" (hardly) by other countries.

"I would never live in a country that could be called completly non-socialist."

Tay. You got lots to pick from...

"How does one measure the best? Have you collected a bunch of different metrics, weighted them by importance and given every country on the planet a score?"

...AND THE ROCKETS RED GLAAAARE... AND THE BOMBS WOOHOO BURSTING IN AIR...GAVE PROOF THROUGH THE NIGHT THAT OUR ****ING FLAG WAS STILL THERE! LOCK AND LOAD MO***R F****RS!!!

"Hmmm...the US health care system is not the best."

Better then the Canadian and UK health systems. By their own admission.

"The literacy rate is not the best."

At least we're not told what we can or can't read...

"The disparity between rich and poor is not the best...."

More oppurtunities to better yourself in this country then anywhere else probably. It's tough for some people to get by or make a decent living anywhere you go, and I'm not ignorant of that. But too often people sit around like cry babies and do nothing about their situations.

"And weight management? oh my."

Just stay awar from my twinkies or theirs going to be trouble...

...AND THE ROCKETS RED GLAAAARE... AND THE BOMBS WOOHOO BURSTING IN AIR...GAVE PROOF THROUGH THE NIGHT THAT OUR ****ING FLAG WAS STILL THERE! LOCK AND LOAD MO***R F****RS!!!

Chris,

While you and your 'opposition' both make excellent points, and both of your arguements may be equally valid, I find myself in the position of having to cry 'FOUL' at the above. Cloaking yourself in a patriotic 'slogan' does not shed a great light upon yourself as a debator, and it certainly does not address the arguement itself (although the question was not all that astute either). While I find myself equally in aggreement with both of you, to some degree, your quoting the US National Anthem is a tactic I would have thought below you, given the highly-evolved individual I've taken you to be. Shame, shame! You can certainly do better than that.

(Don't mind me, I'm just moderating...it's my job (I think?))...

BTW, I'm immensley enjoying this thread, so far.

--T

Last edited:
QUOTE=dpatten;25430]Excuse me? The Soviet Union "contended for the approval of the world's people"? The communist bloc had to put up barbed wire to keep people in! Where disagreeing with the state got you 9 millimeter hole in the back of the head? Please. However, if by "Contended for the approval of the world's people" you mean propagandized among ivory tower academics and weak minded leftists you might be right.
-------------------------------------------------------------
However bad, they were they were a world power that tended to restrict the depredations of the US on 3rd world countries since those countries could reject the US and opt for protection by the Soviet Union. The apartheid regime in South Africa was supported for many years by the US and Israel supplied them with arms as a surrogate of the US. Moishe Dayan an Israeli general was given a heroes welcome in SA which is well documented by Life magazine. He later became head of the Israeli state. Many African and mid-east states benefitted from this contest.

Of course you don't even consider that the treatment of blacks within the US was even comparable. The gated neighborhoods aren't to keep whites out and the poverty of most US blacks are what spawned the "gangstas" Possibly 1/3 of US blacks have criminal records and hence have little or no chance of a steady job. There are so many statistics available if you bother to look.

The US has been guilty of condoning thru thier puppet states genocides that equal the Natsis. 1 million Javanese and other Indonesian "communists" within 1 month of the installation of the US-supported Suharto regime. A well-documented slaughter of 100,000 Guatamelan "rebels". by the US-supported Chavez regime. Not here-say. A friend of mine who now supports the Mexican Chiapa rebels and teaches in the Austin campus of the Uof T worked for the US embassy has documentation and was appalled and disillusioned by the US-supported carnage .
The assassination of the democratically elected president of Chili and the installation of the Pinochet regime there to protect Anaconda Copperwhich resulted in thousands of deaths. The university of colonels in the US that trained the majority of death squads in Latin America, Rockefeller's eradication of hostile native tribes in northern Brazil back in the 50s, to ensure the safety of his oil exploration crews. Any honest person that wants to look can find a mass of documentation. USA<>CPSU neither one was very nice.

Oh, how clever, America is the New Roman empire. Can't daft leftists think up anything new? Are you even slightly aware of the history of the Roman empire?
Not an especially new concept, even by non-leftists.
And yes I am very conversant on the history of the Roman Empire. Are You ? Other than the Hollywood or biblical versions.
----------------------------------------------------------------
DP
When has the US sown the ruins of a nation with salt after we have defeated them, As the Romans did to Carthage after the last Punic war?
Mind you there was this chemical called Agent Orange
in Viet Nam, cluster bombing in many other wars, chemical agents supplied to Saddam to suppress the Kurds so he could be unimpeded in his war with Iran back when he was the US man and was feted in Chicago as was well reported in the US press.
DP
Last time I checked, my taxes were building schools, power plants and roads in Afghanistan and Iraq. When has the US looted the religious treasures of a nation as the Romans did after the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 AD?
You're kidding, right? Where exactly are these schools, power plants and roads(not meant to be used by armored vehicles) being built? In the somewhat less turbulent Afghanistan, in any case, these supposed scools would have to be male only, whether under the Taliban or the Drug-purveying Northern War-lords since both oppose female education.
DP
Did the US line the roads leading to Baghdad with crucified women and children as the Romans did to Jerusalem after the revolt?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
No they simply shoot them. To crucify them would take too much time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
DP
Were the Iraqis so terrified of American soldiers that they committed mass suicide including women and children as the Jews surrounded at Masada did before the Romans could capture them?

No they were more hopefull than that
------------------------------------------------------------
I guess they decided they would rather take some of the invaders with them. Suicide bombing is much more effective than mass suicide for an oppressed people.
DP
When I hear someone comparing the US to Imperial Rome It lets me know two things, They slept through history class and they absorbed to much Marxism in their freshman poli-sci class.
You are obviously referring to yourself here, since you know little about either. You might benefit by even a glance at Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.
The dissolution of the values of the empire preceded like most other empires long before their fall.

DP
Yep, that's us, greedy Americans. America wants all of your wealth and we want you to kiss our feet while you're at it.

You said it. But of course that is not the fate of most Americans nor Romans for that matter. Only for the tiny ruling hierarchy.
DP
Ahh, yes we've gotten to Israel. Yes, Israel has nuclear weapons.
Golly, good thing Israel isn't an outlaw terrorist state and is on Amerikas side.
Simply that it has defied hundreds of UN resolutions should be no cause of censure.
DP
However, Israel isn't a theocracy. Israel is a democracy. Its the only democracy in the whole stinking area.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It's a democracy if you're jewish. Just like Iran if you're Islamist. If you're arab, you have limited rights. In some case none. One of Israels great fears is that the arabs that had the courage to stay despite the terror of the Zionist gangs will one day outnumber them thru larger families and will demand equal rights.
Some Israelis even have "A Final Solution".
-------------------------------------------------------
DP
Israel has Arab Muslim citizens. In fact the two soldiers that Hezbollah captured, starting this shitstorm, are Druze not Jewish. Druze are offshoots of Shia Islam. Hmm, imagine that, Muslim soldiers fighting for "theocratic" "terrorist" Israel.
Since Israel has a draft that is not surprising. All citizens must serve in the army. Your ignorance is showing. The Druze are Sunni muslim BTW "like Saddam" heh,heh.
DP
While we are on Theocracies, do you mind telling me what "Hezbollah" translates to? It means "Party of God" Now, do you mind telling me who the nascent Theocracy is? Who supports Hezbollah again? Oh that's right, Iran and Syria. You remember Iran, just last year they executed two young gay men who were caught having sex. They also hanged a girl who was raped for not "defending her honour strongly enough."
Kind of like the US south not so long ago. But Theocracies, no matter what the religion are intolerant. Could Nebraska go that route in the future ?
DP
Is Israel a repressive Theocracy? Well, they cancelled the annual gay pride parade in Jerusalem. Then again that was because they were afraid some suicide bomber nutjob would blow it up.
Of course even Israel has gays but they are circumcised. Canada, however even passed a gay marriage law just to pxxx-off Dubya and the fundamentalists. Obviously we're godless commies.

DP
The first thing this statement tells me is that someone either doesn't understand the definition of imperialism or perhaps they learned it from their little red book. When Britain took over control of India in the 1840's, that was imperialism. When Japan took over Manchuria in the 1930's, that was imperialism. Yes, the US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, unlike the British or Japanes and their "colonies" we intend to leave as soon as we can.
And you are obviously ignorant of any sort of analysis or definition of imperialism, whether the new form which depends on the dominance of Capital nor the old form which depended on force of arms. You offer England and Japan calling them Imperialist in the early form then quickly skip by to Iraq and Afghanistan. What charlitanry.
Virtually all conquerors maintain they will leave when they can. Meaning when the occupied country is a vassal State.
Have you ever heard of the Monroe Doctrine which basicly claimed Latin America as US turf. (Or colony) And when any LA state showed signs of independance the US decended on them. All those "Banana dictators" were maintained by the US. Some of the nastiest dictatorships in history were vassals of the US and the CIA was their preisthood. And the historical documentation is there easily available if you were honest. You're a charlitan masquerading like so many nowadays under the mask of
a "Patriot"
DP
Ahh, yes Saudi Arabia, the US "client state" that hasn't had any US troops in it since 2003. The country where the vast majority of the 9/11 hijackers came from. But I bet you consider those guys brave freedom fighters too. No, wait, lemme guess, you believe Bush, Cheney, Halliburton and the Mossad blew up the towers to facilitate a war?
Ahh yes, Saudi Arabia, the democracy of a type preferred by the US since the princes allow no dissent and mutually enrich the US corporations and hierarchy. Such nice guys they even funded the son the former head of the CIA and president of the US in an ill-fated oil-company venture. And when the 9/11 thing went down even whisked all the top Saudis out of the country, tho most flights were grounded.

How could it be that so many Saudi-Arabians were part of 9/11 and that the leader of this organization was the son of one of the most wealthy Saudis and is also still using his fortune for his own ends. This "freedom-fighter" was of the elite in fighting to rid Afghanistan of the godless Soviet Union, supported by the US-armed fundamentalist Taliban.
Of course when you dance with the devil he comes back to haunt you.

DP
Now we are on to Venezuela and Hugo Chavez. Or as Fidel Castro likes to call him, Mini-me. Chavez is currently in the process of turning a fairly well developed country into the same kind of 3rd world shithole that Cuba is now. I assure you the US won't invade, we wouldn't need to even if we wanted to. Chavez is going to scare off all the foreign capital and will have his Bolivarian paradise of beggars and uneducated peasants scrabbling in the ruins that only a communist command economy can produce. Think Ukraine, 1930's. (You'll probably have to look that one up.)
This really bugs the behind of the right-wing ideologues.
How dare he offer low-cost fuel to innercity US communities. Heh, heh Venezuela is the 3rd largest supplier of oil to the US. Like Saudi Arabia and the Royal Emirates they don't need the supposed benefits of US capital. But unlike the mid-east kingoms have kicked out the guys that pocketed most of the profits and are using it to help the poor as well as their long-time US capital dominated neighbors. Latin America is slowly but surely throwing off the yoke of US domination. So eat it. One of the benefits of the Iraqui war is it prevents the US from attacking another country. Unfortunately it is at the cost of thosand of Iraqui lives.
DP
Ahh, this old chestnut, "America uses black troops as cannon fodder." Well, pal, I hate to tell you this, but the majority of US infantry troops, Marine Corps and Army both, are white kids, looking for adventure. Yes, there are blacks and hispanics serving honorably and bravely in infantry units too, but many, if not most minorities join the military to learn technical skills and are in units that don't see combat. Your comment reveals a profound lack of knowledge of the US military and race relations in the US in general.
Sounds like a recruitment drive promo to me and I've heard the Army is about to offer hookers(camp followers) as an inducement due to the falling results of recruitment efforts. Where's your patriotism you kids ?
I and the majority of the world have a much more jaded view of the US military than that coming out of Hollywood. As do many people in the ghettoes who lost so many in Viet-Nam and now Iraq from sons who joined to escape poverty.

Katrina was an excellent indicator of the state of US race relations. Some have called it an efficient inner-city clearing project. "they were told to get out". How do you get out if you can't afford a car or the gas it takes. But Haliburton and the other big constuction companies will make out as they put up new condominiums and hotels in the old quarter.

I could write 3 books on race relations, honky, to your one sentence.
DP
Ah yes, those bloodthirsty fundamentalists. Why just last week I heard Jerry Falwell suggest we topple stone walls over on homosexuals to kill them. Oh, wait, I'm sorry that was the Taliban. Well, Still, Pat Robertson said that we should destroy synagogues and mosques. No, that was Ayman al-Zawahiri and he was talking about churches and synagogues.

The only fundamentalists thirsting for blood are in the middle east and they mostly wear turbans or a keffiyeh. Jerry Falwell can't even get a good head of steam going about Hurricane Katrina being a judgement of God before he's shouted down by his co-religionists. Every time I hear the comparison of an evangelical Christian to a Taliban coming out of the mouth of a lefty, it only lets me see their ignorance and group-think.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or possibly the influence of the rabid fundamentalist right on you has now become
an accepted. Of course if you have been born again, you will be accepted at the right hand of god "soon" like Ashcroft, when the lord rains down destruction on the rest of the world's "unbelievers" at the Dawning. In that context even the fundamentalist Islamists seem tame.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DP
And when I read drivel like this it makes me wonder about the Canadian psyche. What happened to the psyche of the people who stormed the majority of the beaches at Normandy and fought fascism from hedgerow to hedgrow beside their American and British cousins? What happened to the grandchildren of the Canadians who fought in Flanders field? How did they degenerate to the point where many left-wing Canadians take their greatest pride in simply not being Americans, yet pule about us as they hide in our shadow from the middle-eastern nihilists determined to destroy western civilization and replace it with an Islamic death-cult.
Well of course our neighbours in the US were a little slow in entering both WW1 and WW2. Wilson campaigned and won on a platform of not taking the US into a European Imperialist war before WW1, possibly to his credit.

Canada, entered the war against fascism in 1939 and my brother was on the beaches of Normandy. The US didn't enter until Pearl Harbour happened. Some conspiracy geeks have even suggested that the FDR administration knew Japans plans and saw it as a way of getting the US into the war against the axis since many prominent USers, such as Henry Ford who funded a pro-Nazi journal in Dearbourne, MI, a prominent charismatic catholic priest who had a popular national radio program and mounted pro-hitler demonstrations in support(his name escapes me) and many other wealthy USers including Dubya's grandfather, who was in a joint deal with the Krupp Corp to benefit from the slave labour camps, were fans of Hitler.

To my knowledge it is the US, GB and a tiny scattering of other troops to try and give legitimacy to the forces of the willing(sounds a bit obscene somehow-"we raped them but they were willing") to disguise this unilateral action, against UN rules originally
established with the help of the US administation after WW2 to prevent such acts, who are in the middle-east, with "Freedom" as thier mantra, destroying the way of life of mid-eastern people, no matter how the US spin-doctors label the why of thier actions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DP
It seems to me the country more likely to fall into fascism is Canada. All the ingredients are there. Weak governments, governmental corruption, seperatist groups, large non-integrated blocs of foreigners, populist politicians preaching economic redistibution and then pointing over the border to explain all of their problems. Let me know how you like Canuckistan. It is coming.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You obviously have no concept of what fascism is nor that many intelligent people in the US view developments there as I do . Our main danger is from it being imposed from south of our border.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DP
For the US to be embroiled in an imperial war, we would have to have an Emperor, like the Japanese did in 1930 or as the Brits titled Good Queen Vic in the 1800's. Like him or not, in January, 2009 George Bush wil give up his office and he will be replaced by his elected successor as the US has done continuously for over 200 years. Seriously dude, when you use imperial as an adjective in relation to the US it lets everyone know you studied Das Kapital far too long and intensely your freshman year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You also obviously have no concept of what an empire is. Almost pathetic. And you my friend obviously skipped any history or philosophy classes so you could be in a Conservative 101 course with Anne Coulter. Like a poisonous snake she is fascinating but also deadly. Fortunately I do have faith enough in the american people that this too like McCarthyism will pass.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DP
As an American with many Canadian friends and neighbours I hope that Canada can wake up from its bizarre flirtation with political correctness bordering on newspeak and its holier-than-thou attitude towards its neighbour to the south. I hope Canada can get back to its roots as a sensible, strong country that the West can count on. I hope Canada doesn't become a country of doped up hippies in birkenstock and Che Guevara t-shirts firmly convinced the US and Israel are evil because we defend ourselves, and by extension them, from the true tyranny of the new century, Islamo-fascism
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow. that's like a direct line from the Bush spin-doctors. In the first place, the US is not a synonym for the "western powers". It has adopted a unilateral position, (and now finding how expensive that can be). The phrase about "defending" was taken from Bush's stock answer to the US-supplied bombs and missles raining down on Lebanon
"The Israelis have a right to defend themselves" which I am ashamed to say our Quisling Prime Minister Harper who is head of a minority government echoed exactly numerous times. He will undoubtably pay for that in the next election as the polls seem to say.

Islamo-fascism is the newest creation of the Bush spin-doctors and while it may sound good to such as DPatten it is totally nonsensical as a political term, however abhorent the actions of the Muslim fundamentallists. But as the new buzz-word you can expect to hear it often coming from the mouth of Dubya. I've seen it 4 times in the last few days in his speeches. Helps divert attention from some of the actual fascist policies they are adopting.

To paraphrase a line of Benjamin Franklin.
Those who would give up liberty in the name of security deserve neither.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dennis

PS. I know that Erik put this category here, but posts like Micom's, calculated to piss people off are not conducive to discussing and working on vintage computers. If you want to post crap like this please do it it on Indymedia or Democratic Underground or whatever the Canadian analogue for rabid moonbattery is.[/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course !
Like most right-wingers you give token acceptance to free speech but when it comes down to it really want it suppressed. Any quick perusals of the I-net can find innumerable sites of the rabid right that are strictly loonie tunes but not couched in the supposed reasonableness you would project. Same ideas, different presentation.
Similarly on many of the forums one can find right-wing spewings aping those of your ilk who figure that since it's on FOX it must be a common view. But not all those on these forums are from the US, which I would remind posters. Most of the time I tend to bite my lips and ignore the idiots. However at times, like my anger at what is now happening in Lebanon and the mid-east in general, events overweigh my discreetness :^) and I vent what is the view of a majority of Canadians (but not all) and most of the rest of the world.

Last edited:
One Dead In Attic

One Dead In Attic

Katrina was an excellent indicator of the state of US race relations. Some have called it an efficient inner-city clearing project. "they were told to get out". How do you get out if you can't afford a car or the gas it takes. But Haliburton and the other big constuction companies will make out as they put up new condominiums and hotels in the old quarter.

Ummmn, not to nit-pick, but as a recent visitor, I can report that the 'Old Quarter' (aka 'Vieux Carre', or 'French Quarter') was not terribly affected by Katrina's winds, or by the subsequent flooding after the levees broke. The Old Quarter was built mostly on high ground, long before the levee system was in place. The main damage was to the 9th Ward, St. Bernard's Parish, other locations on the 'West Bank' (which ironically lies to the south). The main after-effect of Katrina was that the low-rent 'bedroom' districts on the West Bank were wiped-out, which created a cheap-labor 'vacum' in the Quarter, as much as in 'Uptown' businesses. If NOLA is ever to thrive again, it will require a great re-building of low-cost housing to accomodate this low-wage labor force which is the backbone of local industry. (Each of those new 'Resort Hotels' must be staffed by about a thousand minimum-wage employees, who will need a place to sleep at night).

--T

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back