• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Letter to my US neighbours and relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Micom:

How many times do we have to freakin' say it!!! Most US citizens don't like, or agree with our current government, it does not reflect the needs and ideals of the people!!! :mad:

As in most "urban renewal" schemes, most housing for the urban poor who supply the labour for the luxury accomodations are usually far from the expropriated or cleansed areas, transportation is part of the costs which lower the wages paid. The new rents are usually also much higher. This is why city centers are the preferred abode of most of the urban poor. Commuting is not really an option when you're on minimum wage. And of course most of them will be black, of those who made it back from the shelters in Houston. Poor people will line up for the jobs simply because there are few alternatives. For a while at least it might force up wages for those fortunate enough to find housing.

It will certainly not be the old N'awleans. Damn ! Drives home the point of catching a scene when it IS.

The dislocation of the poor, whether white or black is really one of the great tragedies of Katrina's efffects. It will never be the same but the rich guys will make out like bandits. I just saw a special on the cajuns whose historic regions are so wiped out that it will take a generation, if ever to recover. It saddens me and I regret I was never down there to experience this vibrant culture.

Micom:

How many times do we have to freakin' say it!!! Most US citizens don't like, or agree with our current government, it does not reflect the needs and ideals of the people!!! :mad:

I'm well aware that most of decent people in the US don't agree with the present administation. The problem is that except in some of the better media outlets most of us don't hear those views, so the rabid right has the stage to itself. The people of the US have to stand up, just as you just did and reject the image of the US presented by them.

Unfortunately, it's gets kind of messy to just "stand-up". Best we can hope for is a change, and I know most Americans here would agree with me saying: "I can't wait until November 2008". But the worst part is that when the elections do get here, it will be yet another "lesser of two evils" election, and that SUCKS!!!, that's NOT what Democracy is about!!

Yeah, unfortunately the ruling apparatus of the Democrats that was so instrumental in getting Clinton elected and now has Kerry as it's head is really an adjunct of the major coporations. The problem for those americans that want to put the USA back on an even keel is not only to replace the Republicans but how to kick out these guys which have usurped the leadership and destroyed the traditional base of the Democratic party. They look for the the common denominator of the US public which they feel is not against the war in Viet-Nam (Oops, I meant Iraq) Sounds somewhat similar to not so recent history.

You are part of a generation that must exert itself like much of mine did back in the 60's to force an even more repressive and manipulative government to reflect the will of it's people. I remember when the propagandised "hard-hats" attacked protestors against the war in VN. It wasn't easy and it seems sometime that you can never win. But history does prove different. But silence will never win.

Hmmm what is that black helicopter over my house ?

It's ok now. All my neighbours have guns. Out here they're all hunters and crack shots. The "giant dragonfly" as they referred to it just dissappeared into the lake.

Good Luck.

Yeah Lawrence, the Canadians did a lot to help the poor people being killed too.
Nothing in your last few posts has any merrit or truth. I'd sure love to know where you hear about stuff. Probably from your trusty, uncensored, and reliable media perhaps.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Alex you continually disappoint me. I think you are likely of good virtues and nothing I have said in any of my posts is unreported by most of the world press. When you imply canadians did nothing to help the victims of Katrina, you ignore the hundreds of us that went down to Louisiana to help the relief effort, reported by even your own captive press.

What in particular did you find untruthful ?

Which canadian media outlet are you speaking of when you say you watch them all the time ? Or are these simply OReilly interpretations. ?
------------------------------------------------------
Lawrence, what you are doing has nothing to do with free speech, you know darn well you are pissing people off.
Maybe you could not be such an azzhole.
I have the right to call an old lady "a nasty old hoe" but you don't see me doing it.
Basically, you have a Canadian view of America, you have not said anything that other Canadian and extreme anti-american haven't said already
-------------------------------------------------------------
Alex. Free speech means expressing opinions that are may not be popular with all people but can be expressed just the same. Quite a bit different from your own predjudices about some nasty old woman.

Hey you just gave me a new feeling of pride in being Canadian. Could be because of this bracing weather up here.
----------------------------------------------------------
BTW, what's this?
CNN just aired a segment on the rape of Iraqi women by several US soldiers.
Just like last week they aired the segment on the death of Iraqi children, with pictures of parents holding their dead children.
Wow, if that is highly censored, I wonder what they could have done that is even worse than killing children?
Nothing.
--------------------------------------------------------------
This happened quite some time ago and just as the abuse of the Abu Dhabi prisoners, was such common knowledge that it could not be suppressed anymore. It only points to the failure of the yellow journalists and the media held in fear of retribution from the Bush administration.
Alex
Funny though, you believe all the propaganda your anti-american government and media feeds you, like thinking that the US is racist because we weren't ready for the situation in New Orleans...haha, you are so brainwashed.
I am sure your media didn't mention all the majorically white cities that got hit by katrina. I have seen Canadian broadcasts, they are soooo anti-american it isn't funny. They'll misconstrue anything to make it look like every white american is kkk.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately the present minority government only asks the Bush administration how high can we jump, and had you really viewed the majority of our main media outlets it would be quite evident that they were in lock-step with much of the US media, not counting FOX which is merely a PR firm for Dubya. I could only wish they were as "sooo anti-american" as Oreilly and Anne Coulter portray them.
Try changing channels. Being against the policies of the most right-wing government in US history, by the way isn't anti-american.
----------------------------------------------------------
Alex
Lawrence, your viewpoint is spawned from a hatred of America. People who actually care about their human kind would point out true problems and not make them up based on canadian media lies and propaganda.
Alex you sound quite ridiculous. Why don't really observe the canadian media before you continue parroting this claptrap of the rabid right. It's easily done with the internet. A good part of my views actually come from the US and my own observations of what I see going on in the world.
Alex
Want freedom of speech in it's purest form?
Here is some for ya.

Oh wait, since this is a privately owned(by Erik Klien) website, the US constitution doesn't apply here. Did you know that Lawrence? No, you didn't.
Erik can rightfully ban me or something for me saying that, because this isn't the American public. Next time you want to call this free speech, read the faq and rules. Erik's laws apply here.

Hmm sounds like another call for suppression of opinion.
US democracy in it's purest form. You can take the boy out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the boy. I am truly dissappointed with you Alex.

He is right, this is a worldwide site, and Erik, and the mods have the power to remove content. But it has to be completely off-topic, or so inflamatory that it can't be left on.

Micom: You think you got Black Helicopters? you live in Canada, they won't be coming there. Look at al the stuff I said... you think I'm still not on any lists somewhere? I don't care about it though, because the "government" shouldn't care about what I say, but they do, so I can't do anything about, and I'm not going to suppress my opinions. :)

I'd like to remind everybody that the URL you are currently tuned into is http://www.vintage-computer.com/ .

The primary focus of this website is the showcasing of a particular private collection and a web forum dedicated to the discussion of vintage computers. Off-topic posting areas are provided as an outlet, not as a primary mission. We are supposed to be here to spread the joy of vintage computing.

There are plenty of other places to discuss US foreign policy, the devastation in New Orleans, war, black helicopters, etc. Consider using them.

As one of Erik's unpaid henchmen, my duty is to provide some semblance of order. I like posts to be in the right area, I don't like clutter, and I really hate misinformation. And lastly, there is no need for people to be rude. This web site is a private forum paid for by private dollars, run by private individuals for their private enjoyment. So, hell yeah, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate posts and scold people for stepping over our collective boundaries.

That being said, we've been fairly tolerant in this thread. Posts have been deleted usually for foul language or off-color sexual comments involving machines. If those posts had involved goats they would have been deleted too.

I think that this thread is disruptive to the overall operation of the forum. The original point was made and many people have argued it's points back and forth. Nobody is really being educated here, and it is the rare individual who is going to change their mind about such deeply held beliefs.

Do us all a favor. Take it offline. People getting rude and nasty with each other isn't good. I'm not going to lock the thread, but I'm sorely tempted to do so. It's just not providing any value, and it is a major distraction to our overall mission here.

Alex you continually disappoint me. I think you are likely of good virtues and nothing I have said in any of my posts is unreported by most of the world press. When you imply canadians did nothing to help the victims of Katrina, you ignore the hundreds of us that went down to Louisiana to help the relief effort, reported by even your own captive press.

What in particular did you find untruthful ?

Which canadian media outlet are you speaking of when you say you watch them all the time ? Or are these simply OReilly interpretations. ?
Too bad you think just because I don't share your views I am a bad person.
Also, I wasn't referring to the katrina victims, I was pointing out that Canada did nothing, just like the US in the slaughter of Guatamelan rebels.
I hate Bill O'reilly more than any other human on earth. I could not hate someone more than him. In my mind, he is one of the causes of the decline of our country.

I found untruthful?
That our media censors everything, that is not the case with a lot of news stations, of course everyone knows fox censors, but I dont watch fox.

Alex. Free speech means expressing opinions that are may not be popular with all people but can be expressed just the same. Quite a bit different from your own predjudices about some nasty old woman.

Hey you just gave me a new feeling of pride in being Canadian. Could be because of this bracing weather up here.
I don't have a problem with "nasty old women" it was a metaphore.
I am glad you are happy hating America.

This happened quite some time ago and just as the abuse of the Abu Dhabi prisoners, was such common knowledge that it could not be suppressed anymore. It only points to the failure of the yellow journalists and the media held in fear of retribution from the Bush administration.
Yeah, what you are talking about was aired a long time ago..lol

Unfortunately the present minority government only asks the Bush administration how high can we jump, and had you really viewed the majority of our main media outlets it would be quite evident that they were in lock-step with much of the US media, not counting FOX which is merely a PR firm for Dubya. I could only wish they were as "sooo anti-american" as Oreilly and Anne Coulter portray them.
Try changing channels. Being against the policies of the most right-wing government in US history, by the way isn't anti-american.
I think you know damned well what I am talking about when I say anti american, i am not talking about bush and orielly rhetoric.

Alex you sound quite ridiculous. Why don't really observe the canadian media before you continue parroting this claptrap of the rabid right. It's easily done with the internet. A good part of my views actually come from the US and my own observations of what I see going on in the world.
Your own prejudice keeps you from seeing the good, you can only see the bad.
So many of us want a change, but you can only infer that we all accept the bush admin.

Hmm sounds like another call for suppression of opinion.
US democracy in it's purest form. You can take the boy out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the boy. I am truly dissappointed with you Alex.
Don't even go to the old "you're a southern redneck" crap lawrence, you know I am not remotely close to the average southerner.
Sounds like you are mad at me. Otherwise you wouldn't have resorted to that.

Last edited:
I'd like to remind everybody that the URL you are currently tuned into is http://www.vintage-computer.com/ .

The primary focus of this website is the showcasing of a particular private collection and a web forum dedicated to the discussion of vintage computers. Off-topic posting areas are provided as an outlet, not as a primary mission. We are supposed to be here to spread the joy of vintage computing.

There are plenty of other places to discuss US foreign policy, the devastation in New Orleans, war, black helicopters, etc. Consider using them.

As one of Erik's unpaid henchmen, my duty is to provide some semblance of order. I like posts to be in the right area, I don't like clutter, and I really hate misinformation. And lastly, there is no need for people to be rude. This web site is a private forum paid for by private dollars, run by private individuals for their private enjoyment. So, hell yeah, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate posts and scold people for stepping over our collective boundaries.

That being said, we've been fairly tolerant in this thread. Posts have been deleted usually for foul language or off-color sexual comments involving machines. If those posts had involved goats they would have been deleted too.

I think that this thread is disruptive to the overall operation of the forum. The original point was made and many people have argued it's points back and forth. Nobody is really being educated here, and it is the rare individual who is going to change their mind about such deeply held beliefs.

Do us all a favor. Take it offline. People getting rude and nasty with each other isn't good. I'm not going to lock the thread, but I'm sorely tempted to do so. It's just not providing any value, and it is a major distraction to our overall mission here.

I agree.
In fact, I deleted the post I made before my last one to try and water down tensions, but somehow Lawrence got ahold of it and here we go again.
I do think it was very inapproprite of him to imply the southern redneck addage however.
I vote this thread be closed.

I'm not going to lock the thread. I want to see if you guys can let it die first.

I'm not going to lock the thread. I want to see if you guys can let it die first.

He's not going to, but I am.

I really did enjoy the thread, for the most part, and hope that it provided a respite from that dastardly vintage computing topic.

I've honestly considered shutting down the off-topic areas to regain focus around here. This thread has both helped and hurt that decision.

The fact that people here are obviously passionate about things other than old computers is good and sharing in that vein is also good. I don't mind providing a venue for that at all.

It does, however, have to be a venue that distracts minimally from the true goals of the site and it also has to be a place where people can retain civility.

This thread came close to losing it on both counts.

In any case, we've had our fun and this one's done.

Thanks!

I am not highly-evolved...

I am not highly-evolved...

...just nuts if it werent apparent by now...

sorry, had to have my last say

My advice to Erik and the admins in the future would be to give a time-limit to a particularly noxious thread. At least everyone could have their say. When one person sets out to thrash someones country, beliefs, and even favorite delicious desserts, it would seem only fair to allow for adequate replies. Say "AWRIGHT...this thread has 3 days...one week... left". When something offensive is said (without provocation) you can hardly expect some things to just get back to normal anyway. Letting it (hopefully? possibly?) work itself out could possibly alleviate any bad feelings (SOME people are impossible to deal with though. They tend to see issues and life through their hashish stained sunglasses LOL).
I have spoken. That thread was pretty innapropriate to begin with. But I dont feel locking it prematurely was the best answer.
And if anyone cant take *obvious* jokes, thats their problem. If youre going to take every piece of conversation you see on the net and use to bolster your prejudices against people, youre in a sorry state of affairs. I try to have fun. If people are going things to seriously, they need to develop a sense of humor. Admittedly mine can be eh twisted at times. I like to make it fun when pissable LOL LOL.

Hmmm.

I locked the thread because it was getting perilously close to a pissing contest and I didn't want anyone to go beyond upset to mortally offended.

I guess I could consider unlocking it again for a bit. If it doesn't die it's own death then I'll have to kill it again.

If people get personal or take what's said personally I'll kill it altogether (i.e delete it, not just lock it.)

When discussing anything on these forums, be it Apples or politics the one thing I want to make sure of is that everyone is civil.

Let's give it a shot, shall we? :D

Did somebody say shot?
diethread.gif

(Sorry, I got bored...)

Well, let's hope creative editing (aka 'sanitizing') will suffice for now...(sorry, Chris...I forgot you don't believe in evolution)...

--T

Last edited:
Sorry, guyz. I have enough trouble keeping track of everyone's vintage computer interests, but I get completely lost in all the political & religious beliefs of all the userz. If I commit some (social, religious, etc) faux pas, I appologize in advance.

--T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back