• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ollivetti m240

malebolgia

For the last ten years I have been in charge of running a Bobst 102, computer controlled foil stamping machine. The computer is an Ollivetti M240 PC from 1991. I have traced the problem to the power supply. I need some help in finding a repair, replacement, or retrofit power supply to this computer..................
I would consider this computer as Bullet Proof because the power supply has failed so many times I can't even remember, yet the hard drive... drives on with the simple program of running the heat and foil pull settings...(I'm just getting tired of banging on the PS to get it to reboot!). This machine is the Bread and Butter of my company and can't be down more than a weekend. I have several AT power supplies that I think I can make work, but I need help with the voltage tolerances............Or I need an OLLIVETTI M240 power supply that I can rebuild for absolute reliability. Thanks......MAL

most power supplies supply standard voltages - +5vdc, -5vdc, +12 vdc, -12vdc, etc. I don't see any reason why an AT or similar power supply couldn't be utilized, but I don't know what the computer's requirements are. Try the classiccmp.org mailing list cctech. Join and post something there. I'm sure you'd get a reply.

Chris2005 said:
most power supplies supply standard voltages - +5vdc, -5vdc, +12 vdc, -12vdc, etc. I don't see any reason why an AT or similar power supply couldn't be utilized, but I don't know what the computer's requirements are. Try the classiccmp.org mailing list cctech. Join and post something there. I'm sure you'd get a reply.

We've got some pretty smart folks here, too, and there's some overlap as well.

From what I remember the Olivetti PC is a fairly compatible fast PC clone that runs MS-DOS. If that's the case then you should be able to either use a PC, XT or AT power supply (once you match up the voltages if they aren't plug compatible) or move your application over to a more common or standard clone so that parts aren't as hard to come by. The only possible problem with a migration would be speed issues if the application is tied to the processor speed (the M240 is a 10 MHz 8086.) My bet is that you've got a serial or parallel port connection to your equipment and just about any solid machine will do in a pinch - if it can run the software.

Check out http://artofhacking.com/th99/m/M-O/33374.htm for a bit of motherboard info. Nothing on the PS, unfortunately.

Olivetti

Olivetti

If "banging" on the power supply, (oops, alimentary) can result in a sucessful reboot, you are dealing with a probable cold solder joint or just a poor solder job. These can usually be located and repaired by careful inspection (using a lens) and a soldering iron. Back In 1991 the solder was mostly lead so use the same type.

My experiences with Olivetti is similar to my last Fiat 850, i.e., 'Fix It Again Tony!'

Hi
Also new to this site have got another problem with a olivetti M240 i need to know the spec of the graphics card the out put to the montitor is a phono type plug ,monitor has died need card info to try to replace montitor,any ideas out there?

If you can post pictures and the dimensions of the power supply, especially a picture of the bottom of the supply (to see if it's a hook-in or flat bottom case), I have boxes of power supplies from the era that I might be able to supply a few spares.

As for the card, well it's probably a composite output, but the monitor you used sounds like it's not syncing. Adjusting the vertical and horizontal controls, (the main ones on the back of the monitor), if they are accessible, may help the problem. I don't think frequency is too critical and there may be an output trimmer on the card itself.

Last edited:
Hi
Also new to this site have got another problem with a olivetti M240 i need to know the spec of the graphics card the out put to the montitor is a phono type plug ,monitor has died need card info to try to replace montitor,any ideas out there?

Hi cst,

It's been many months since you posted that, but I'm replying anyway. :)

You may have already figured out that you can replace the graphics card with a generic EGA card and matching monitor. If it's too hard to find an EGA monitor: many 8bit VGA cards should also work (not sure, though).

But about the original graphics card: I really hope you still have it somewhere, because I would really like to take it off your hands.

The graphics card in the Olivetti M240 is a so-called "OEC" card, which is identical to the AT&T VDC750.

This card also happens to work with the monitor of my Dad's M24. Hence my interest. :)

For the last ten years I have been in charge of running a Bobst 102, computer controlled foil stamping machine. The computer is an Ollivetti M240 PC from 1991. I have traced the problem to the power supply. I need some help in finding a repair, replacement, or retrofit power supply to this computer..................
I would consider this computer as Bullet Proof because the power supply has failed so many times I can't even remember, yet the hard drive... drives on with the simple program of running the heat and foil pull settings...(I'm just getting tired of banging on the PS to get it to reboot!). This machine is the Bread and Butter of my company and can't be down more than a weekend. I have several AT power supplies that I think I can make work, but I need help with the voltage tolerances............Or I need an OLLIVETTI M240 power supply that I can rebuild for absolute reliability. Thanks......MAL
I own an Olivetti M15 if thats any help?

Back