• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greetings from Silver Spring

mpickering

Experienced Member
Hello All,

I'm not sure if what I am into is considered "vintage". My interest is in early and recently obsoleted Unix workstations. I learned about Unix when MSDOS 3.3 was hot stuff when I was in high school and graphical Unix workstations were like the machines of the Gods. Sun, HP, Symbolics, Silicon Graphics and IBM RS/6000 were machines I dreamt about. In high school, I managed to get my old 286 to run PC-MINIX for a Unix class demo.

During my first year of college, I managed to get my hands on some decent 386 hardware. I bought Mark Williams Coherent (on a million floppies) and later got their 4.2 upgrade with X Windows (sorry I threw it away, had the huge manuals and all and spend a small fortune on it at the time). Very cool. This was back when Windows 3.1 was just becoming hot. Still, I ran Unix. Then Windows 95 came out and I was playing with early versions of Linux. SLS and Yggdrasil. You can't consider yourself a Linux adherent until you've spent two days figuring out monitor and VGA timings to bring X. That was when you *HAD* to know PC hardware to get X to work and the price of failure was a blown monitor. I actually bought my first multifrequency (and expensive) SVGA monitor so I could safely run X. Now been running Linux for 11 years.

I have a strange obsession with the power of workstations. PCs back then couldn't do the 3D graphics and imaging. The slick window systems, multiple processors, massive memory and disk (for the day). A visit to a local University campus computer store caused me to drool. Nested among the Quadras and early Pentiums were machines for the engineers: SGI Indy, NeXT Cube workstation and a few Suns. $5K for the Indy and it was cheapest workstation there. Playing with those made me want to have one.

Time marches on. Generations of machines, each more powerful than the last and soon I was running PCs more powerful than what I dreamed of. Modern hardware has more power than mid-80s supercomputers (another fascination of mine) but still, there was allure of the workstations.

Over the past few years, I've finally indulged myself. On a fluke 3 years ago, I trolled eBay for Suns (we were looking to buy some Suns for developer use on a project I was on) and discovered cheap Sun hardware. SPARCstations. The machines I originally lusted after. So, I did some research and began acquring my first Sun hardware. I settled on SPARCstation 10s for cost and flexibility. I really wanted a SPARCstation 20 but they were much more costly. The SS10s became my first multi-CPU systems.

Now, I am into the true dream machines of my youth: Silicon Graphics. Just got the first of two Octanes up and running and enough spares for both to run them for years. Despite being 8-10 year old technology, one cannot help being impressed by their speed. SGI just screams "cool" with OpenGL in hardware.

My interests are broadening. I'm starting to troll about for things to run Linux on. Older Macs, maybe an Acorn (ARM RISC is nifty), some older PC laptops, a SPARCbook, etc. Not many people can claim to run it on four different hardware architectures at once (x86, SPARC32/64, MIPS and PPC). I like to tinker with hardware mainly and try to live those past dreams of mine.

As I said, not sure it qualifies as vintage. However, I have vintage hardware. An old Apple IIe, a Timex Sinclair 1000 (my first computer ever, paid $32.78 for it), had a VIC-20 and an Atari 800XL (which was sold to fund my first PC, a Bondwell 800 XT laptop).

Unfortunately, I live and breath computers working as a software developer. My co-workers thinks I'm nuts for wanted this old (and to them, useless stuff) but old doesn't not mean useless. Imagine the fun I can have with Linux on an old SPARC 10 running as a honeypot to see who can hack it.

So, just saying "Hi" to everyone and if you're into the old Unix boxen, I'd love to compare notes. And BTW, the ultimate vintage Unix box is a Cray YMP-EL minisupercomputer (since it is a CMOS version of the Cray X-MP architecture and that does qualify as vintage). Someday...

Matt

Does the CMOS Cray need super cooling system like the rest of the Crays.

"Please remit $2789.13 for your last month's power" :(

Welcome, Matt!

I'd love to play with old unix boxes, but they're REALLY hard to come by in Romania...

I actually work on RS/6000 machines on a daily basis, so I'm not a stranger.

I just got a SparcStation5 [I know, but I like it even if it's so limited] and plugged 2x 18GB HDDs in it. I can't find any damn DSIMM memory in this country... I took it because I like Sun hardware and I could really use some playtime in Solaris, but I don't like the way it runs on x86.

What I'd really like is some SGI hardware to play around with... There's nothing to be found around here, but I'll keep looking.

I think that 15 to 20 year old Unix workstation class are generally on topic.

I grew up on DOS in the mid 80s, but quickly became a Unix convert when I hit college. The DEC machines running Ultrix were my first exposure to Unix workstations - fairly slow, but with TCP/IP communications, windowing managers, 19" black and white displays, etc. Quite an upgrade from the VT100s I was used to.

About two years later Sun was starting to take over the universe with their Sparc based processors. The speed difference was unbelievable. At least for the Unix market, DEC was getting trounced by Sun.

To make matters worse IBM made their second pass at the Unix workstation market with the RS/6000. The IBM PC RT (which I used later on at work) was a pioneer, but quite an underperformer. The RS/6000 with the new PowerPC architecture was a stunning difference. I believe the first PowerPCs were the first superscalar (ie: more than one instruction pipeline) processors. Between that, the RISC instruction set, and caches it was quite a screamer. Too bad AIX was the most confused and convoluted Unix implementation ever devised.

The PowerPC may be gone from the Mac, but it's still with us today in the pSeries, iSeries, game consoles, the Mars rover, etc.

SGI is just a tragedy. Eight years ago while doing graduate work I had access to an SGI Challenge cluster. They were on top of the universe back then. Just this past week they announced the end of life of their MIPS based workstations. They'll be gone alltogether soon ...

Linux has been a savior. The hardware quality (PCs) isn't as good or as powerful, but bringing a Unix-like operating system to a greater audience in an affordable way was a form of technological blessing. And with hardware getting so cheap, you can afford to configure a good server or workstation class machine.

Hello Matt, I mentioned something about your Unix workstations in another thread this morning, but I'd like to chip-in my $0.02 here as well.

I became "Unix" literate in 1999 because I had to for work. I had been using micro-computers since 1982, when I got my first one, a VIC-20. I had read lots of stuff about Unix (and even Linux, back in 1994 - 1995), but never tried it because by then I was firmly in the MS-DOS/Windows 3.11/OS/2 world. Once I experienced the power, stability and security of Linux (and the BSD's), I was hooked, and it has run in my house since 1999. I find Linux and Unix just work for me. The only reason I keep Windows on any computers is because I might need them for a contract. I'm also a software developer, but the vast majority of my contracts deal with the Windows world. I do find the common tools found in the Linux and Unix world make me much more productive, so I bring a zip file containing my most used utilities with me, along with Perl, Python and Vim. I use native ports of the Unix utilities instead of the Cygwin tools. I don't want to mess up my customer's computer. My Unix utilities just go in a directory, which gets put in the machine's path. Perl and Python are the only ones that get physically installed.

I only have one "vintage" Unix machine, a Sun Ultra 5 workstation I got off of eBay. I haven't even fired it up yet, because I don't have a Sun monitor (or some kind of Sun-to-VGA adapter). For the most part, I don't wish to collect Unix workstations. I prefer my Unix and Linux to be fresh and powerful! :)

Welcome to the VC Forums! You've found the right place for your interests! :)

Enjoy!

My Unix utilities just go in a directory, which gets put in the machine's path. Perl and Python are the only ones that get physically installed.

I only have one "vintage" Unix machine, a Sun Ultra 5 workstation I got off of eBay. I haven't even fired it up yet, because I don't have a Sun monitor (or some kind of Sun-to-VGA adapter). For the most part, I don't wish to collect Unix workstations. I prefer my Unix and Linux to be fresh and powerful! :)

I work in a mixed world but do day-to-day tasks on Windows (corporate desktop standard). I am getting a Linux box at work temporarily to do some application support. Who says playing with Linux at home doesn't pay off? :) I have a Windows partition on one machine at home and it exists solely for games. Everything else is Linux or Irix.

If you need a 13W3-to-HD15 converter, PM me your address and I'll send you one that I know works on Ultra 5/10. I have a Sun-to-VGA adapter cable that works better (it is resolution selectable so I've never get rid of it) so I don't need the fixed frequency converter. I believe it drives 1152x900. But it does work and as long as you have a monitor or flat panel that can do 1280x1024, this will work on it. It's yours if you want it.

Too bad about the Sun monitor, I threw my old one away (GDM21) recently. It had issues though.

Matt

Back