• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Yo Yo Yo Homies :)

crazypigeon

Hello,

I'm a 16 yr old, old computer collector, my mom thinks I'm nuts, but I just find old computers very interesting, along with old computer history. In total I have ~40 computers (Cause I'm a Total Geek), and I built a MacQuarium with my dad (Pictures http://crazypigeon.com/iweb/MacQuarium/MacQuarium%20Completed.html), but it has since been decomissioned for now, because it was almost impossible to clean on a regular basis, (I'm thinking a Ghost Shrimp next time).

My Old Computer Collection includes:

Apple ][+
Apple ][e
Apple ][gs
Macintosh Plus (3 of them!)
Macintosh SE
Macintosh II
Macintosh IIsi
Macintosh Powerbook 180 (The B&W One)
Macintosh LC III
Macintosh TV (Got it for $25, what a deal)

TRS-80 Model 100
Toshiba T1200 (Dosn't work for some odd reason...)
Compaq Contura Aero 3/20

I've always wanted a place to talk about old computers, since I don't know anyone that has the same hobby as me, glad I googled it :)

Welcome aboard :). One thing I like about that era is that there was no standards (no big one) so companies were free to release anything they wanted. Today it seems everything is IBM or compatible, or Mac and compatible...in a way, kinda boring...;-)

Anyways, welcome aboard. :)

So, is your collection based solely on Apple Computers?

Well, I am most interested in apple computers, manly because it is easier to keep track of ones that are collectable, and ones that arn't worth a penny. Though I'd like to start collecting IBM compatibles, my one question is though, if you get an ibm compatible with a 400kb floppy, are you able to format them in your pc? (cause I know you can't do that with 400kb mac floppys).

:) and Erik, my name is Erik too

LOL vlad ;-).

CrazyPigeon, in XP you can't....but in windows 98 (I think ME too) when you format a disquette, you should have the /f option on the FORMAT.COM command which allows you to specify the format of the media

hence, on IBMs 360Kb would be formated like

FORMAT A: /F:360 or something similar.

It's really good to see a young guy like you so interested in vintage computing. Most guys your age think vintage means P3 :)

btw, nice collection of Mac stuff. I only have a Classic and a Centris 650 [but Mac stuff is pretty rare around here]. And that Contura Aero is pretty nice [i have a 4/25 and I like it a lot... It's my vintage game console when I'm on the road]

Have a nice time around the forums ;)

Even worse; Asus has several series of barebone PCs; a custom made case with pre-fitted motherboard. Just add CPU (typically most recent Socket 775, 939 or AM2), memory and drives.

Their most basic model series is called Vintage, probably due to the form factor. The case is 16.8 cm wide, 38 cm high and 35.4 cm deep. Supposedly this "minitower" computer size is something of the past and is referred to as vintage. It even has room for two 3.5" drives accessible from the outside (i.e. disk drives, LS-120 or whatever you have available). It means you can buy a brand new 2.5++ GHz computer that is labeled as Vintage directly from the factory. :-?

what it is, jive turkey! yeah, it's cool to see a young'un interested in this stuff. i guess most would consider me one too, being 22.

welcome to the forums! do you do any programming? we need more programmers here.

Back