• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC World's 10 Worst PC Keyboards of All Time

Interesting. I agree with most of them; especially the various Commodore keyboards which were always frustrating.

Of course the best keyboard of all time was, still is, and will always be the IBM Model M. I'm typing this on one right now. . . ;)

My personal 'hell-board' was one that I only used once. It was the Compaq 237743-401, made in the early-mid '90s. It had what Compaq called "Erase-Eaze", which was meant to put backspace in a more useful location...

They split the space bar in half, and made half backspace. It was user-configurable, but by default, the left half was backspace, and the right half was space. One of my college roommates had one of these keyboards, set so that the right half was backspace.

I made extra money by typing papers for people. (I was, and still am, a pretty fast typist.) Whenever possible, I used their own computers. Doing this for my roommate made me notice that I always hit spacebar with my right hand. And, of course, I don't actually look at the screen when I'm typing off a paper, so I didn't find out until about three paragraphs in, when I looked at the screen and saw one large block of text, with no spaces, and the last letter of each word missing.

If you can't quite picture it, well here's what "The Quick Brown Fox" followed immediately by "All Good Men" would look like:

thequicbrowfojumpovethlazdoAlgoomecomtthaiotheicountr

(edit: heh. The 'lameness filter' on the board put a space in there!)

This is a reprint of my comment from the midatlanticretro.org discussion going on simultaneously....

I think that this article is kind of dumb, they basically picked computers that they could find pictures of from 1979-1983 and then made up a story around it. That is the era when many keyboards in the small/home computer market were like that. They obviously were popular then. They might as well have just saved space and wrote a single paragraph: "Early 80's computer manufacturers, in their effort to build ever smaller and inexpensive home computers, were forced to squeeze a small keyboard into their systems. Consumers were willing to sacrifice keyboard ergonomics for portability. By 1984 these types of computers became less popular as true laptops and the IBM PC/clones took their place in the home computer market."

I don't disagree that some of these keyboards were hard to use, but it's the context that's missing.

Lastly, I understand the "blue" 2001 PET, but the later PET 2001-N keyboard is a significant improvement, and should not be included... IMHO - what's wrong with that one?

The Coco keyboards were actually easy to use...try one! Not all of the listed keyboards were hard to use even though they were compact. The engineers pulled off some usable systems despite the confines of space. The PC JR had a "regular" keyboard, at least mine did unlike what's described in the article.

I don't like the Sinclair 1000 keyboard. Yes, from what I have actually used this is the worst of the group.

Bill gets off soap box

Yes, it's your typical PC World article - shallow and misinformed.

Most of those poor machines were stuck with the keyboards that they were designed with. The PCjr had a replacement keyboard within a few months that was much more conventional, and it was free to anybody with the original 'chiclet' keyboard. Also, the infra-red keyboard did *not* chew batteries at a rapid rate like they claim, and a fairly inexpensive keyboard cord took care of that problem too.

barythrin wrote:

Although the article is a bit harsh I thought it would be interesting enough to post this PC World article:

Asking for trouble IMO. I remember many many years ago in an Issue of Amstrad Action (an unofficial publication dedicated to the Amstrad CPC464/664/6128 and the then new CPC464/6128 Plus) they decided to do that. At the time I had a CPC464 and the way they trashed that computer I felt like Burning their magazine - as it was they didn't give much hope for the original machines (besides the CPC6128) and simply stated that a CPC464 and CPC6128 Plus were far superior (easy said and done when one can easily purchased one of those pathetic machines from UK or Europe!). Some time after that I got myself a CPC6128 and I reckon the old CPC464 had the better keyboard, it's more robust and the keys don't stick (unlike this sad CPC6128 I have now!). I reckon that magazine would have looked like a bunch of idiots when the CPC Plus machines weren't as successful and the original ones and could have lost a number of original CPC owners (or readers) because of those cruel remarks! Can't say I'd blame them since they trashed on a great few things! :-(

CP/M User.

One of the unusual attributes of the Micom 2000 keyboard was that it could use subscript and superscript notation. In other words it could show a squared, cubed, etc. number above as well as a subscript log number or reference number in 1/2 size below the main text. I know no present keyboard that can do this, but it must exist as evidenced in many math or reference texts, unless that is only a function of publishing machines. The founder of Micom, (1987) the canadian Stephen Dorsey had also started up earlier CES (1983 ?), which is credited with producing the 1st dedicated word processor.

Lawrence

(pulls out keyboard collection)

I'll dig through my cache of keyboards and find the 3 worst...

Microsoft Natural - I can game on them, but typing is hard for me since I don't type "normally", my hands have to be offset a little because they are so darned big, so I'm very uncomfortable on this keyboard.

By far, the WORST PC Keyboard ever made, that is just a normal keyboard....is this one, the infamously cheesy BTC-53 series. I trashpicked one off the curb, thinking it would have Alps keyswitches, as it looked like something that would have them, being boxy and PC-like and all...nope, It's a very mushy feeling piece of junk, and unfortunately, I had to use it on my 286 till I found that 5 pin connector for the IBM Spacesaver a few years back (that was a godsend). I got another one in a lot of keyboards, it mostly vegetates in the kitchen cupboard.

And my honerable mention for modern consideration on old PC's, this awful HP Multimedia keyboard, it's like the 1990's version of the BTC! I used it on the IBM PS/2 for awhile, and it has NO feedback whatsoever, it's like somebody made a typing technology using wonder foam for the key actuators. BTC created "anti-feel" technology, and HP perpetuated it apparently.

I like my keyboards big, rectangular, chunky, and beige, like my trusty Model "M"'s, my model "F", and my Northgate Omnikey 102, those are the best I've ever had.

I write a lot and found that I can't type as fast or very well with out my beloved Model M. I tried using that -- thing that came with my computer but its really awkward. The keys are almost totally flat like ATM keypad buttons. I tried using a HP Internet keyboard but something was just off. I guess its the size since the Model M isn't exactly small. The only time I have an issue with a Model M is when I have a headache and need to get work done...

One of the worst full-stroke keyboards I've used, is that with the original "breadbox" Commodore 64 (sorry all you c64 fans). It's mounted way too high in the chassie and has a spongy, horrible feel. Arrgg.

One of the best I've used was the "clacky" keyboard that came with the original IBM PC. I loved using that. Such a solid feel.

Different strokes for different folks...

Different strokes for different folks...

I realize that I'm in the minority opinion here, but I hate IBM and/or other clicky keyboards. I find the noise they make very annoying. That, and the fact that I have a very light touch equates to a lot of missed characters. For the record, BTC boards have always been among my favorites.

--T

My Model M is causing grief today too .. I've got the headphones on and I'm just jammin and slammin keys, and the whole dang hallway knows it.

I could close the door, but then people wouldn't know how productive I was. :)

The Model M/early IBM PC keyboards are among my all-time favorites too. I've posted my fastest typing times on them. However, it would be too noisy for an office environment and for general usage these days, so I just stick with my Microsoft Natural (split) Keyboard. It keeps my hands carpal tunnel free and responds quick enough. It's also relatively quiet.

With that said, you can pretty much adapt to any keyboard with enough patience. Of course the ones you can't touch type on are particularly frustrating to get into a good rhythm with.

Back