• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello From Canada

Zilogoz80

Hello every body, I'm glad I found this site, it looks there is alot of people with same interests and hobby as myself, an will be nice to share experiences with all of you.

I have special interest in vintage computers as well, specifically the 8 bit ones, they are a lot of fun to program and much easy to understand.

I'm a technician, I designed my own Z80 microcomputer 15 years ago, I still work on it some times adding new things.

In my collection I have:
ZX80, ZX81, Multitech MPF I Z80, Apple II+, Commodore 64, Atari 800, Heathkit ET3400.
Well not much but all documented and with software to run in them.

Thanks, I will start posting some questions right away!

Welcome.

A ZX-80. I do remember seeing one of those in the flesh at one time but not for many, many years. Has it got the "81" upgrade or is it the real original?

Canada's a big place. Where abouts, exactly?

We have a fair smattering of Canucks taking over, umm, I mean, on the board here and some of us might be close to you.

Welcome to (The Great White North) Vintage Computer Forums (has a nice ring to it, HUH?) LOL

Hi, sorry I wasn't around.

Thanks to you all for the reply,

Well to start I'm in Calgary, Alberta (Canada),

The ZX80 I have is in original condition, no upgrades or changes to it, it says USA model on the back, It works but video is blurred, you have to tune in a TV on channel 2, I'm tempted to mod it so I can use a regular composite video input, problem is I like to keep it in its original condition (any sugestions here?).

I will be posting schematics and pictures of my Z80 microcomputer, interestig part of this design is it uses an UART 8250 to comunicate with a regular PC by RS232 com port so I can Upload and download programs, no need for drives , comunication program on the PC side is programmed on Visual Basic.

Cheers!

Hi, sorry I wasn't around.

Thanks to you all for the reply,

Well to start I'm in Calgary, Alberta (Canada),

The ZX80 I have is in original condition, no upgrades or changes to it, it says USA model on the back, It works but video is blurred, you have to tune in a TV on channel 2, I'm tempted to mod it so I can use a regular composite video input, problem is I like to keep it in its original condition (any sugestions here?).

I will be posting schematics and pictures of my Z80 microcomputer, interestig part of this design is it uses an UART 8250 to comunicate with a regular PC by RS232 com port so I can Upload and download programs, no need for drives , comunication program on the PC side is programmed on Visual Basic.

Cheers!
-----
Sounds interesting...

Any chance of you sharing some secrets, like the BIOS source and the VB program?

mike

-----
Sounds interesting...

Any chance of you sharing some secrets, like the BIOS source and the VB program?

mike

Sure, I will be posting this design for discusion soon, I would like to get input as of how to improve it, Now I'm working on adding commnets to the source code (monitor program) all is in assembler, I know what it does but comments will help others when looking at it. I used TASM to compile it to Z80 obj code. The Visual basic part handles programs as HEX files.

Any sugestions where in this forum Home made designs can be posted?

Vintage computer programming should suffice.

Sounds like an intresting system...
Welcome to the forums!

--Ryan

We have a fair smattering of Canucks taking over, umm, I mean, on the board here and some of us might be close to you.

Welcome to (The Great White North) Vintage Computer Forums (has a nice ring to it, HUH?) LOL

Take off, eh? I think your toque is a little too tight!

--T

Well since we've taken over much of the entertainment media: TV, Films, and energy sources, it's time to move on to the cultural fringes. We're an insidious bunch. As a Canadian songster Leonard Cohen wrote " First we take New York, then we take Berlin."

Welcome to the Cabal. Calgary's just a few Grainfields and the city of Regina away from me.
One of my latest discoveries was a Vintage Computer dealer in Latuque, Quebec, which is possibly even further north than I am.

Lawrence

Well since we've taken over much of the entertainment media: TV, Films, and energy sources, it's time to move on to the cultural fringes. We're an insidious bunch. As a Canadian songster Leonard Cohen wrote " First we take New York, then we take Berlin."
<snip
Lawrence
--
Aw, c'mon, don't scare 'em! We're not that greedy; LC didn't say we're gonna take _all_ of New York...

That doesn't even scan properly; and you call yourself a musician/artist... ;-)

m

Back