• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Most & least favorite keyboards?

Wow, I forgot they even used to make keyboards like that. My old Epson Equity II had a keyboard like that (control key in the 'correct' position, as well ;) ). Where did the current standard layout come from, anyway? Did the AT have a layout like this? Can we blame IBM?
To the best of my knowledge almost all Northgate AT keyboards had function keys on the left side. The only exception I can think of is the 101 keyboard. If you had some loose change to spend you could also get a second set of function keys across the top. The Ultra and Ultra-T had this setup. The upper row of keys could be programmed as macro keys, IIRC. I can't remember for sure, but I believe the later Northgate keyboards for Windows also had the function keys on the left side.
I also remember the Leading Edge XT keyboards also having function keys on the left.

Last edited:
Wow, I forgot they even used to make keyboards like that. My old Epson Equity II had a keyboard like that (control key in the 'correct' position, as well ;) ). Where did the current standard layout come from, anyway? Did the AT have a layout like this? Can we blame IBM?

my "TURBO-XT" running my IRC server has the down-the-side function keys. it's moderately annoying but it doesn't really cause any problems. what's much more annoying is that the control key is to the left of the A where a newer board has the caps lock key. :p

I HATE THAT!!!

hulk.gif

From the computers I own and right off my shelf, I'd personally rate mine in the following order from good on down.

[..]
#3. Commodore 128
#4. Tandy CoCo 2
[..]
#6. Atari 800XL & Atari 600XL
#7. VIC-20
This week I picked up a poorly boxed Tandy Color Computer 2, and I must highly question your personal preference. Perhaps I got a worn out unit, but from my first experiences it is the worst full-sized keyboard I have ever used. Almost no length in the keystrokes, yet they register awfully poorly. Add to that the stroke of an evil genius somewhere in the Tandy Corporation who came up with the sinister idea to place the Clear (screen) key next to the Enter key. I can only start to imagine how many lines of Basic programs have gotten lost over the years from people accidentally pressing the wrong key.

I'd rate the VIC-20 and C64 keyboards miles ahead of the CoCo keyboard. Actually I'd even consider a ZX Spectrum rubber keyboard ahead of it, although it'd be a close call.

This week I picked up a poorly boxed Tandy Color Computer 2, and I must highly question your personal preference. . . . ..

I guess that's why they are 'personal' preferences. Your mileage may differ :)
I just dragged out my CoCo 2 to see if perhaps my putting the CoCo 4th on my list and VIC-20 7th was in error. My fingers literally danced over the 'no length in the keystrokes' keys with every stroke a perfect register. I can fly on this keyboard. I really prefer the very short key register. As for the clear key just right of the enter key - yes it's bad placement, but not horrendous. I'm not going to 'accidently' step way over that oversized enter key to punch the clear by mistake. I speak as a person that spent 10 years typing on VIC-20 and C-64 keyboards and I prefer the CoCo keyboard. I'm sure you're not the only one who would disagree with me either. I prefer writing BASIC on the Commodore and I hate the CoCo green screen, black letter theme, but I find no fault with the keyboard.

Although I didn't use it as a primary keyboard and unfortunately I'll have to take off points for not quite being vintage but I really appreciate the Omnikey Pro keyboard I got at a flea market with a Tandy 1000 which the guy who knew nothing "couldn't get it to work" (he had an AOL floppy in there like it was an operating system. So while he was smirking during the sale for $20 so was I lol. Either way, I didn't realize what the keyboard was until I noticed the dip switches on the back and found it could be set to work on AT/XT, Tandy, Amiga, and maybe another. Either way sweet keyboard and awesome that someone did that.

My other favorite keyboard which I did use all the time was a Cherry keyboard with a magnetic stripe reader. Standard AT keyboard, had a little menu in it if you held down both shift keys for 3 seconds (inside of notepad or something) which you could then go into options and turn on different features and tracks of the 4 track magnetic strip. I think it was more interesting when we got it being young we checked about every card we could come across to see what data it had on us. Drivers licenses were kind of interesting although nothing bad but one number that we came to the conclusion must be the location of the DMV that issued the card.

...the worst full-sized keyboard I have ever used.

Just thought I might point out that the CoCo 2 shipped with two different versions of keyboards. The later models came with an 'improved' low-profile board, with softer touch, shorter travel length, and, as indicated by the 'low-pro' moniker, the keycaps were about half the height as the older boards (relative to deck height). Perhaps yours has one of the older ones? (Sometimes ya gotta really slam on the keys to get 'em to register).

--T

IBM Selectric II

IBM Selectric II

Speaking of keyboards, I cleaned an IBM Model M keyboard this evening. I assembled it from parts taken from other model M's to make one complete keyboard.

Has anyone used an electric typewriter lately. The IBM Selectric II blows away any passive keyboard.

Bill

The best keyboard I ever used was a Model M.
The second best was the on-ADB NeXT keyboard.
The worst keyboard I used was the wireless keyboard that came with my INT-W200 WebTV terminal. Like the PCjr "chiclet" keyboard, it too could use an IR connection and like the PCjr, you had to push directly down on the keys or it would not register.

I think I am starting to like my Model M more then my old Northgate, but those two are probably the best computer keyboards I have ever used.

My all-time favs were the late 60's George Risk sealed reed-switch keyboards with calibrated keypress force. Darned near indestructible and special-function keys took a bit more force to press than other keys--you were much less likely to press one by error.

Early Microswitch (pre-Honeywell) keyboards were also pretty nice.

On a PC, the German Cherry-made AT-style keyboards for the NCR boxes. Function keys down the left side, wonderful feel; 20 "F-keys" across the top. Full "cross" cursor keypad (not the "T").

But today, I use mostly model Ms.

Just about anything sold "with the box" today is garbage.

Does anyone today make keyboards with double-shot keytops? I'd asked PC Keyboards about that and they replied that theirs were not--just laser-etched and painted.

Has anyone used an electric typewriter lately. The IBM Selectric II blows away any passive keyboard.

I still fill in forms and type envelopes with the Selectric III sitting on the table next to me. It's not bad if you don't mind the noise of typing. The IBM Executive was pretty good too.

Anyone know how to replace a motor drive belt on one of these things? I've got a nice wide-carriage S II taking up space in a closet that could do with fixing.

Favourite Keyboards

Favourite Keyboards

Well I am biased, as I have lots of them, but for my money its the Sinclair 48k+ keboard.

Easy to repair, clean and nice to use.

Also BBC micro keys are good. And I have an Olivetti M15 with a removable keyboard thats nice to use too.

I'm using a model M again and now I'm happy. I've collected a few over the years so I put one in front of my missus who does web development - now she's happy too. :) I don't remember if someone posted it here somewhere, but the originals are still being made (and some variations) by a company called Unicomp. I think they're cheaper now than they used to be.

Back