• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good Freeware Operating Systems For 486's - P2's

There are several free versions of DOS around and that would be my choice anytime. For the 200s and above Linux will work. I find that the most polished distro that will work without having to know a lot and figuring out how to tweak it for old machines is Vectorlinux lite. It's based on Slackware, but don't let that scare you. It "goes in easy". :)
PS: The older 5.1 is probably best.

FreeDOS, if you want MS Dos compatibility. Plus Arachne, or Lynx for Dos if you throw networking into the mix.

If that is not an issue, go with Basic Linux. DeliLinux, too. I've even built out Freesco a few times into full blown systems with great results. If you really want to learn Linux you could always try Linux From Scratch and end up with a system completely optimized to your hardware...

For the 'bigger' systems, I like Puppy Linux and there is a scaled back version of Ubuntu called U-lite.

Well...

I don't think you'd have to buy seperate copies of Windows for EVERY machine. Microsoft doesn't even monitor how many times XP is installed(trust me, I've been installing the same disc on many PCs for the last 2 years), so I pretty well doubt their watching Windows 95, 98, ME, etc.

But if you're still not swayed I'd definately go Linux. Pretty cool having a supported O/S on such an old computer, even cooler that it's very functional.

--Jack

Well...

I don't think you'd have to buy seperate copies of Windows for EVERY machine. Microsoft doesn't even monitor how many times XP is installed(trust me, I've been installing the same disc on many PCs for the last 2 years), so I pretty well doubt their watching Windows 95, 98, ME, etc...

They might not be watching, but they have the terms laid out even recently to still cover back to at least Windows 95. XP is considered bound to the motherboard - even if you have a motherboard failure, Microsoft wants you to replace it with exactly the same thing, or you void the license. Maybe this thread will have to be placed in ¨Rants¨ as people weigh in on this position.

(anyway Windows 9x, NT, 3.1x, and DOS versions are remarkably easily to gain authentic CDs and license keys right now, even for free)...

Has anyone fooled with ReactOS?
I'd be interested in hearing people's reactions too. The idea of being able to use that huge resource of MS-Win compatible software without dancing with MS is certainly enticing. I really wish them well, but somehow I'm afraid that it won't collect the momentum to really go anywhere because if it does, MS will get on their case in some way.

Another OS with a completely different agenda is Minix3. It's stable and usable. I've tried it but it poses some hurdles for an amateur like me. :) Still, the idea of the microkernel and "self healing" drivers running in user space is exotic and offers some interesting possibilities.

Some suggestions:

Damn Small Linux

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (google it)

Puppy Linux

FLP is fantastic! been using that one for a while. it makes a celeron 533 i have run pretty darn fast. like the regular win XP, it won't work on a 486 though of course.

That's the first time I've heard about FLP so I went to mr Google to see. Boy, the home page gives you more catchwords on the first page than you'll get in a week at a Fundamental Baptist Bible Camp! :) So I went to Wikipedia and that page seems to avoid anything controversial, such as details of the software. It did say that "the operating system does not include full support for terminal-based connections" which made me wonder how it can be a client - unless by terminal they mean "text". Also, nobody mentions price. Oh well, if Mike likes it, it must be OK. :)

Actually, now that Trixter mentions DSL and Puppy, I have to agree. Those two are solid reccommendations for older machines. I had suggested Vector because it is perhaps more comfortable for non Linux users - thinking that you were maybe going to give the machines away.

You are treading on thin ice here. It's not for free copies of Win2K .. here are the program requirements:

What Does It Take to Become a Community Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher?

To be a Community Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher, you must:
  • Supply 20 or more computers per year to charities, schools, or families.
  • Be a commercial, nonprofit, school, college, or government-based refurbisher.
  • Be located in any of the countries of North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean (with the exception of Cuba).

I'd never heard of this program before. If I were to be refurbishing machines for redistribution this sounds like a good way to do it. (Linux is free, but it isn't as usable for the target audience.)

Yes I looked it over and signed up! It cost 5 bucks per copy for XP or 2K and you also can get Office. So five or ten bucks per system to save it from the landfill or recycler and make it useable again. Is wonderful!

You are treading on thin ice here. It's not for free copies of Win2K .. here are the program requirements:

What Does It Take to Become a Community Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher?

To be a Community Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher, you must:
  • Supply 20 or more computers per year to charities, schools, or families.
  • Be a commercial, nonprofit, school, college, or government-based refurbisher.
  • Be located in any of the countries of North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean (with the exception of Cuba).
I'd never heard of this program before. If I were to be refurbishing machines for redistribution this sounds like a good way to do it. (Linux is free, but it isn't as usable for the target audience.)

It will likely be 2 or more years until ReactOS is really ready. As expected, ReactOS is just barely into alpha right now.

eComStation is not free. Somewhat expensive. I have been installing their second version releases for at least 2 years. Not sure if they will ever have a final release. They might just close their doors before then. The OS/2 kernel has never been released to public domain which means it is more or less frozen in 16 bit land. Not likely to ever be released either.

eComStation is not free. Somewhat expensive. I have been installing their second version releases for at least 2 years. Not sure if they will ever have a final release. They might just close their doors before then. The OS/2 kernel has never been released to public domain which means it is more or less frozen in 16 bit land. Not likely to ever be released either.

No, but the liveCD demo ISO is free for the asking. As far as I can tell, it's not hard to get from that to a hard disk installation if you have a few OS/2 tools at your disposal.

At one point in time, IBM distributed free CDs of Warp and a bunch of tools in an attempt to get developers interested in it. Labeled "The IBM Developer Connection". I'm not certain of its "official" status, but I didn't ask for it and I didn't pay anything for it. I was a registered OS/2 SDK owner, however.

Back