• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Congratulatons Americans

Just listening to all his impossable "promises" that he will never keep. Anyway I thought politics weren't for this forum 'eh?

In that case we can close this thread and stop angering people?

We used to have a politics area in the forum. It was a regular flame fest.

This thread will serve as a reminder not to try again. ;-0

We used to have a politics area in the forum. It was a regular flame fest.

This thread will serve as a reminder not to try again. ;-0

hmm, on the contrary... there's nothing wrong with a little heated debate. sure politics can really get some people fired up, but the way i see it is if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

EDIT: you could just put this next to the link to the politics area:

rated-r.jpg

Hi!

In my experience, if you want a civil forum and to reasonably keep on a positive topic there should be an absolute ban on threads of this nature. Mean spirited political attacks, regardless of the source, who they are targeting, or view point, only serve to render the spirit of a community.

Please, lets get past the politics and focus on something constructive. We'll never get any better treating people and their beliefs with disrespect and cutting personal comments. It just has no place here.

I fear for this forum if this continues. I also have my political opinions to but I've learned to keep them to myself. If you want to express your political beliefs there are plenty of internet outlets for that. Vintage-Computer.com forums are a nice and fun place. Please don't ruin it.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I don't wanna wake up. I'm totally twittering him about my bailout package.

Bailout? Hell, I'm waiting for my buyout! Offer me $100K, and I'll leave the country to wait out the coming (current?) depression. I understand you can live quite well on that kind of money in Central America, at least for as few years as I have left.

--T

I stopped posting here for two years after a political flame-fest. There are forums for politics and religion. I'm not sure this is the place for either of them.

Unlike some lefties who cried from day 1, "George Bush isn't my president." I will say that even though I voted against him, Barack Obama is my president.

As an American and a political libertarian (small l), I wish President Obama all the best. I hope he does well. If he does well, we all will.

I am somewhat concerned by the fact that the man has little executive experience and decided to run for president after a mere 143 days in the Senate. His statist leanings and his apparent belief that more government is the cure for what ails us also concern me. I'll have to wait and see.

Now, if the media would just get off their knees and wipe their lips and start reporting.

I have been waiting a long time for the departure of Darth Vader from the presidency. The last 8 years have been some of the darkest days this country has ever seen.
I am waiting to see the world reaction to Bush leaving office. Probably the biggest party ever thrown.

Don't insult Darth! :curse:

:lightsaber:

...I married a US Afro-American in 1961, had 4 sons and now 9 grandchildren. I was very involved in the civil-rights struggles and never expected the US to elect a black president in my lifetime. This gives me hope that americans will fulfll the kernel of decency embodied in the Declaration of Independence by the founding fathers and become what it once represented...

Rather than taking this very good theme down a political path, I want to put it as a social commentary. Larry had the bravery and strength almost 50 years ago - something that still largely has a stigma even today - to enter a mixed-race marriage (as Obama's parents did too, making him truly an "African-American"). American still hasn't gone colorblind overnight, and as another poster put it, it may not be a big deal to those represented on this forum, but it is very much an issue for others.

Experience marrying outside your ethnicity, culture, or country - It can be an eye-opener. You may find at least a portion of your family, friends, or countrymen that have problems with it - They can't fathom why you have taken that path. I will also say that the "Founding Fathers" spoke of the ideals, but probably couldn't fathom it for the most part either. To ask someone other than a Caucasian to return to "the good ole days" in America could mean something entirely different for them.

You have to fight to lower your fear of someone different from yourself - It is a natural response in our genetics...

But you can succeed...

There is still a LOT of bigotry out there. With each generation we are becoming more tolerant of others in our country. It just takes time and education.

Some folks are bigoted and know when to keep quiet, others just can't help themselves. Regardless, they are both categories of ignorant people. I just gave someone a 5 day ban on another forum for posting bigoted garbage about our new president.

Now, about our former President. There's a phrase I hear that just sounds SOOOO magical: Former President Bush. ;)

Unfortunatly bigotry never goes away, the focus just changes to some other people. I heard people saying 9/11 was the best thing to happen to blacks because now people will be against arabs/muslims.

I you recall older people had issues with the Irish when they came flooding in, same with germans in earlier periods, and now with mexicans flooding the border. Whoever is willing to work the cheapest and bring down wages is the scapegoat of the period.

A major reason people today are less bigoted is that many more people go to college and get an education so they don't compete for the labor/manufacturing jobs like their parents did with immigrants fresh off the boat. Well some people do complain about Indian H1B visa people but that is not as common.

Unfortunatly bigotry never goes away, the focus just changes to some other people. ... (and all the stuff in between) ...

A major reason people today are less bigoted is that many more people go to college and get an education so they don't compete for the labor/manufacturing jobs like their parents did with immigrants fresh off the boat. ...

Thankyou for a good post Unknown_K. Yes, education is where the problem lies. In other countries too. When we see people ranting irelevantly, even going so far as to confuse sex and politics as we've seen here and elsewhere, then (IMHO) it is because they don't understand and don't feel empowered. Feelings of frustration can be powerful. In the long run, education is the only answer, no matter what level you start from.

Regardless of any politics, I still think the title of this thread is appropriate.

lol at T and Andrew (in humor, not insult). Yeah it's easy to get everyone riled up isn't it? If the thread gets too ignorant or aggressive I'm sure it will get cleaned up and stopped. But still, it's meant as a congrats and compliment regardless of some followups.

My only comment is people should keep in mind, we don't have a problem with Arabs nor Muslims, we have a problem with terrorists.

So thanks for the compliments, complaints can be sent to /dev/null

Unfortunatly bigotry never goes away, the focus just changes to some other people. I heard people saying 9/11 was the best thing to happen to blacks because now people will be against arabs/muslims.

I you recall older people had issues with the Irish when they came flooding in, same with germans in earlier periods, and now with mexicans flooding the border. Whoever is willing to work the cheapest and bring down wages is the scapegoat of the period.

A major reason people today are less bigoted is that many more people go to college and get an education so they don't compete for the labor/manufacturing jobs like their parents did with immigrants fresh off the boat. Well some people do complain about Indian H1B visa people but that is not as common.

I would agree with the statement, but I think most Americans have an intangible concept of terrorism to suspect anyone who doesn't look or talk "American" enough (including those with "non-American" accents), with a much stronger focus on those appearing or sounding like 'Arabs/Muslims". In fact the amazing thing to me is that many in the United States think there can't be a home-grown terrorist, even though we have had the example of Timothy McVeigh. Later I'll show how these perceptions impact us.

The highest Irish immigration was during the Potato Famine (or "Great Famine" in Ireland) from 1845 to 1860, sending about 1.5 million to the shores of the United States. This ultimately amounted to more than 5% of the U.S. population being just from Ireland for decades. The main German immigration hit about 1848 to 1860, driven by conflict in their homeland, and was just below a million German immigrants to the United States for that timeframe. By 1870, 15% of the U.S. population was foreign-born, and 20% of the workforce (93% of immigration at that time was from Europe).

I can understand that Mexican Nationals are a majority percentage (about 57%) of illegal immigrants right now, but please don't call or consider that it is all from that country. Legal immigration numbers currently match about the same (around 57% of all legal immigrants to the United States each year) for Mexico too. The U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico is the busiest in the world, doing immigrant and spouse/fiance(e) of U.S. citizen petitions for all of Mexico, at a rate of 800 to 1000 per workday (weekdays, excluding Mexican and American holidays).

My wife and stepchildren are Legal Permanent Residents from Mexico. All LPRs are work-authorized in the United States, plus a number of other "non-immigrant" visa categories. But recently at her workplace she was accused of trying to steal the identity of a customer when she wrote down their driver's licence number on their personal check they were trying to cash. And it wasn't as it happened, or even immediately afterwards. The customer waited until they arrived back home to call into the store anonymously.

My wife could have shown her own driver's license to prove she doesn't need another. And the number on its own can't be used to gain further information in stealing someone's identity. But the customer, hearing my wife's accent, felt that my wife is not native to this country, and therefore was up to no good when doing a menial process that is part of the store's procedures.

The stories and misassumptions ("Marry a U.S. citizen and instantly become a U.S. citizen yourself" is the biggest untruth) about immigration are amazing, especially when you consider the origins of most Americans. Anti-immigrant feelings have been high in the past at times, and I hope we aren't in a cycle where they will get any worse. Currently the percentage of foreign-born to the U.S. population and workforce are lower than what they have been in the past.

Anti-immigrant feelings are common everywhere. Canada has a very dark history that way. Some people are always afraid. Just afraid, thats all. Anything out of "their" ordinary causes paranoia.

As an imigrant myself, I've seen some interesting changes here. As I get older, I realize that what I've seen is just part of an endless cycle.

An interesting story: A few years ago I was talking with a man of one generation older than me. He grew up in Vancouver where I've lived most of my life. Vancouver has many interesting ethnic areas and part of that is quite colourful. Well, it turns out that he had grown up on Commercial Street, which is known for its Italian flavour - espresso bars and hand waving in the street etc. Around the time we were talking, there was a movement afoot to preserve the Italian nature of that neighbourhood. His remarks were most interesting on this. He said that when he was growing up, they were complaining about all those Italians moving into the area! Hehe It's all about familiarity and fear of the unknown. The solution, of course, is to make the "unknown", known, ie education.

Back