• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ok contestant #1: NAME THAT CASE!

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0t4DBxtI90

Cool vid, would do that wid my DOS machine, but only plugins for 3 drives on the MB.

Anywho, does anyone recognize the case/brand/computer model? I would like to own a PC like that. Cool front panel. Information on just the front control panel with the POWER/TURBO/RESET/LCD on it would be nice, if nothing else.

Looks like a generic AT case. When the computer is booting up, the splash screen displays "Packard Bell". The only computers I know of that had the turbo switch and LCD display like that are 486 machines. The turbo switch typically switched between 33Mhz and 66Mhz.

The music that was playing is awful.

Can't really specify the name or the model. Not a big fan of towers (unless they are ridiculously huge) either....I'm an XT/Early Full-Size AT Man myself. Shame you did not show up earlier as I had a few of those kinds of cases laying around.

8daa.jpg

e6b6.jpg

creepingnetXT1.jpg

XTBootingSummer07.jpg

En-light were the cases that rocked in the 386/486 era (AT mini tower cases).

I had a full tower AT that looked like that case but bigger. The 2 digit LED had a bunch of jumpers on the back where you could set the numbers for normal and turbo mode individually (00 to 99). While it was roomy I hated how motherboards were mounted so I junked it ages ago.

Generic Taiwan case. Like _K, I had a full-size tower like that. Saved the little front panel for the hellbox, but tossed the rest. On the minitowers and the one full tower that I have, I changed the LEDs to read "H" and "L" and quit trying to figure out how to display the (more or less meaningless) CPU speed every time I put a new mobo in.

For minitowers, I like the HP Vectra VL and Compaq Deskpro for ease of access. Both are darned quiet too. Unfortnately, neither takes standard motherboards.

I had one of those. I think it was a 486DX-2. I had it till 1998 (the case, not the 486. I think it was a P133 when I retired it).

I cannot tell you what brand and make though :(

My friend had the same identical case, he fitted it with a 486 board and gave to me the original content, a 386sx! No brand...

kool

kool

Anyone know where i can get/if it is possible to get a front panel (control thingie) from one of those cases and install it on a modern computer?

Yeah, the video suxx0rz. I just liked the case ;-)

ZOMG what is this sexy beast of a case and what does it contain?

8daa.jpg

That's my ongoing project - Creeping Net 2

It's a GEM Computer Products 386 chassis, the company is a computer outfit in Norcross, Georiga that apparently made an okay sum of white box full-size AT desktops in the late 80's. I've been looking all over for more of that chassis myself, it's my favorite one out of all the chassis I have.

It started life as a half dead 386/20 that I ripped up and turned into an AT based Pentium. It was my main computer from 2002-2007, and is currently being converted into a double PSU full size ATX desktop chassis with a Digital Readout where the panel buttons are.

Here's some older pics of that computer and it's various incarnations....

Photoshop of the proposed 64-bit Dual/Quad core version that will house my present PC's guts
gem08mockup.jpg

Earlier PIII era with Keylock and Deskpro drive layout
59d7.jpg

The Celeron 500 Era
e57c.jpg

Late Pentium Era
357f.jpg

Pentium 120 Era - The oldest picture I have
710c-1.jpg

I think the '386-era was the GoldenAge of PC case design, before the cookie-cutter boxen really grabbed the whole market.

--T

The early-mid 386 era was my favorite, when they were still using full size AT and having lots of buttons, switches, having a keylock, and digital readouts, and trap doors for controls were all the rage. Possibly the best of them all as far as ease of modding/upgrading was this wild and crazy thing, the flip-top XT chassis.....

creepingnetxtopen.jpg

creepingnetxtinside.jpg

Back