• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS as a Fileserver

Raven

Veteran Member
I want to set up a fileserver on my Core 2 Duo that recently had it's 8800 die. I love DOS, and I've decided to go text-based (yes I know I could more easily use Linux..) and I'd like to use DOS to do this. Here are the things I need:

-Composite output PCI card (ordered and on it's way)
-A webserver that will run in the background (TSR)
-A telnet server that will run in the background (TSR)
-Help setting up an IBM 3151 Terminal with DOS as a server, if it's even possible
-Drivers for one of the network card options I have available

The reason I want TSRs is so I can use the machine for other things over terminal or right at the console.

I'd like this all to run on DOS 2.11 if possible, but that's not a requirement, just a preference. I know a lot of network drivers won't work with that.

I have open PCI slots, USB, and can use any of these for networking, or the onboard networking card, which is an Attansic L1 Gigabit adapter. I've got almost any kind of PCI network card you can imagine, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out what would have a packet driver, just need help setting it up, as I've never set up DOS networking before (used it, just not set it up).

If you get DOS 2.1 to run on a new machine like that, let me know - unless the BIOS can make the machine look dumb as a rock, it's probably not going to get too far.

Next, I think you are going to have problems finding TSRs for the servers you want to run. I doubt that they exist. You are going to need to do some research to find this software.

Mike

Interestingly I just spent the last day or two getting a PIII 450 running DOS 6.22 onto my TCP/IP network.

Its worked out well, took alot of research and learning and I intend to wright a wiki on it.

You will need and NDIS driver for you nic (I used a 3COM 3C905-TX card) and the Microsoft Network Client version 3.0 (or similar).

The network client can be found in the NT 4.0 Server CD, and I am sure you can locate it if you google for it. I had zero luck with the MS LAnMan 2.2c (that is also on the CD). I will paste a list of cards that are native.

Once this is all running right, you will then need to manually use DNR (add to the autoexec.bat) to get DNS resolution.

The thing I am still trying to find is the appropriate server software. I want to get a SCP server going (so I can push files to the dos box).

The MS LAN Man and MS CLIENT softwares include the drivers for the following NICs:

3Com EtherLink
3Com EtherLink 16
3Com EtherLink II or IITP (8 or 16-bit)
3Com EtherLink III
3Com EtherLink/MC
3Com EtherLink Plus
3Com TokenLink
Advanced Micro Devices AM2100/AM1500T
Amplicard AC 210/XT
Amplicard AC 210/AT
ARCNET Compatible
Artisoft AE-1
Artisoft AE-2 or AE-3
Artisoft AE-2 (MCA) or AE-3 (MCA)
Cabletron E2000 Series DNI
Cabletron E2100 Series DNI
DEC Ethernet (All Types)
DEC DEPCA
DEC EE101 (Built-In)
DEC (DE100) EtherWorks LC
DEC (DE101) EtherWorks LC/TP
DEC (DE102) EtherWorks LC/TP_BNC
DEC (DE210) EtherWorks MC
DEC (DE211) EtherWorks MC/TP
DEC (DE212) EtherWorks MC/TP_BNC
DEC (DE200) EtherWorks Turbo
DEC (DE201) EtherWorks Turbo/TP
DEC (DE202) EtherWorks Turbo/TP_BNC
DECpc 433 WS (Built-In)
HP PC LAN Adapter/8 TL (HP27250)
HP PC LAN Adapter/8 TP (HP27245)
HP PC LAN Adapter/16 TP (HP27247A)
HP PC LAN Adapter/16 TL Plus (HP27252)
HP PC LAN Adapter/16 TP Plus (HP27247B)
IBM PCMCIA-NIC
IBM Token Ring (All Types)
IBM Token Ring
IBM Token Ring (MCA)
IBM Token Ring II
IBM Token Ring II/Short
IBM Token Ring 4/16Mbs
IBM Token Ring 4/16Mbs (MCA)
Intel EtherExpress 16 or 16TP
Intel EtherExpress 16 (MCA)
Intel TokenExpress EISA 16/4
Intel TokenExpress 16/4
Intel TokenExpress MCA 16/4
IPX/SPX Support Driver
Exos 105
National Semiconductor Ethernode *16AT
National Semiconductor AT/LANTIC EtherNODE 16-AT3
NCR Token-Ring 4 Mbs ISA
NCR Token-Ring 16/4 Mbs ISA
NCR Token-Ring 16/4 Mbs MCA
NE1000 Compatible
NE2000 Compatible
Novell/Anthem NE1000
Novell/Anthem NE2000
Novell/Anthem NE1500T
Novell/Anthem NE2100
Novell/Anthem NE/2
Olicom 16/4 Token-Ring Adapter
Proteon ISA Token Ring (1340)
Proteon ISA Token Ring (1342)
Proteon ISA Token Ring (1346)
Proteon ISA Token Ring (1347)
Proteon MCA Token Ring (1840)
Proteon Token Ring (P1390)
Proteon Token Ring (P1392)
Pure Data PDI508+ (ArcNet)
Pure Data PDI516+ (ArcNet)
Pure Data PDI9025-32 (Token Ring)
Pure Data PDuC9025 (Token Ring)
Racal NI6510
RadiSys EXM-10
SMC ARCNETPC
SMC ARCNET PC100,PC200
SMC ARCNET PC110,PC210,PC250
SMC ARCNET PS110,PS210
SMC ARCNET PC130/E
SMC ARCNET PC120,PC220,PC260
SMC ARCNET PC270/E
SMC ARCNET PC600W,PC650W
SMC EtherCard (All Types except 8013/A)
SMC EtherCard PLUS (WD/8003E)
SMC EtherCard PLUS/A (MCA,BNC/AUX) (WD 8013EP/A)
SMC EtherCard PLUS/A (MCA,TP/AUX) (WD 8013EW/A)
SMC EtherCard PLUS 10T/A (MCA) (WD 8003W/A)
SMC EtherCard PLUS 16 With Boot ROM Socket (WD/8013EBT)
SMC EtherCard PLUS/A (MCA) (WD 8003E/A or 8003ET/A)
SMC EtherCard PLUS TP (WD/8003WT)
SMC EtherCard PLUS With Boot ROM Socket (WD/8003EB)
SMC EtherCard PLUS With Boot ROM Socket (WD/8003EBT)
SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite (WD/8003EP)
SMC EtherCard PLUS 10T (WD/8003W)
SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16 (WD/8013EP)
SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16T (WD/8013W)
SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16 Combo (WD/8013EW or 8013EWC)
SMC StarCard PLUS (WD/8003S)
SMC StarCard PLUS/A (MCA) (WD 8003ST/A)
SMC StarCard PLUS With On Board Hub (WD/8003SH)
Tulip NCC-16
Xircom Pocket Ethernet I
Xircom Pocket Ethernet II
Zenith Data Systems Z-Note
Zenith Data Systems NE2000 Compatible

Hope this helps you pick a network card.

I want to set up a fileserver on my Core 2 Duo that recently had it's 8800 die. I love DOS, and I've decided to go text-based (yes I know I could more easily use Linux..) and I'd like to use DOS to do this. Here are the things I need:

-Composite output PCI card (ordered and on it's way)
-A webserver that will run in the background (TSR)
-A telnet server that will run in the background (TSR)
-Help setting up an IBM 3151 Terminal with DOS as a server, if it's even possible
-Drivers for one of the network card options I have available

The reason I want TSRs is so I can use the machine for other things over terminal or right at the console.

I'd like this all to run on DOS 2.11 if possible, but that's not a requirement, just a preference. I know a lot of network drivers won't work with that.

I have open PCI slots, USB, and can use any of these for networking, or the onboard networking card, which is an Attansic L1 Gigabit adapter. I've got almost any kind of PCI network card you can imagine, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out what would have a packet driver, just need help setting it up, as I've never set up DOS networking before (used it, just not set it up).

I've got a much better idea: I need a working Core 2 Duo for some 3D work I want to do, and I have a lot of older machines that would do fileserving much better than what you're proposing. Want to swap machines?

Running Dos on modern fancy hardware seems pointless considering DOS takes no advantage of any of its abilities?

LINUX - I WILL BE YOUR SERVER TODAY MR. BALMER!

Running Dos on modern fancy hardware seems pointless considering DOS takes no advantage of any of its abilities?
Newer hard drives are much faster so that part is nice. Also running most things in a ram disk means that you can turn your drives off and have a quiet machine. Processor speed has been irrelevant since the pentium. My previous "super dos box" used a P60 (because I liked the look of the gold top - lol) and things were essentially instant. Now, just because it was convenient, I am using a P133 and things are instanter. :)

Anyone know how to use the MS Client 3.0 for DOS to actually either host a share or better still map a share from a Windows 2003 DC?

I managed to get to the point where I can ping out just fine, but am unable to authenticate on my domain, and if I try to browse to the DOS machine's share I get something about request not supports and access is denied.

I booted up a windows 95 machine and was able to get the dos box to map a share from it just fine, but it still did not work the other way.

Ultimately I want this DOS machine to be able to get data from my server so I can simply dump data onto a share from my AMD Phenom machine there, such as disk images etc. I would then use the DOS machine to put the data onto the relevant floppy disk (either 3.5 or 5.25) since I do not want to put either of these into my AMD Phenom machine.

yes the MS Net Client 3.0 for DOS is incredible amounts of win for old machines. unfortunately TCP/IP on it requires 286+ but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. don't waste that nice machine with DOS. DOS is for old stuff. make a pentium 1 or a fast 486 a file server instead.

the net client can use IPX on 8088s btw, which is what i do on all of mine. (not as a server mind you.. lol @ an 8088 file server)

yes the MS Net Client 3.0 for DOS is incredible amounts of win for old machines.

It wins perfectly, except on a few scores:
1. Its a memory hog, mine is using about 110k of RAM
2. It is unable to map a share on my Windows 2003 Server nor authenticate on my Windows 2003 domain.
3. With the patch that adds the server service I am unable to connect to it via any XP, Vista, 2003 or even Windows 95 box.
4. It does not work with any app that uses WATTCP (at least non I have come across yet).

Other than that I can use the machine to ping things very well :D

I think I will start a new thread on this (as I do not want to hijack this one).

Anyone know how to use the MS Client 3.0 for DOS to actually either host a share or better still map a share from a Windows 2003 DC?

I managed to get to the point where I can ping out just fine, but am unable to authenticate on my domain, and if I try to browse to the DOS machine's share I get something about request not supports and access is denied.

I booted up a windows 95 machine and was able to get the dos box to map a share from it just fine, but it still did not work the other way.

Ultimately I want this DOS machine to be able to get data from my server so I can simply dump data onto a share from my AMD Phenom machine there, such as disk images etc. I would then use the DOS machine to put the data onto the relevant floppy disk (either 3.5 or 5.25) since I do not want to put either of these into my AMD Phenom machine.

I think the dos client and win95 use non-encrypted passwords, and win2003 uses encrypted ones.

Unless you really need to run DOS 2.x why not use DOS 7 and the Win98 Network components? It all fits on a floppy and I think it'll give you a lot more flexibility.

Unless you really need to run DOS 2.x why not use DOS 7 and the Win98 Network components? It all fits on a floppy and I think it'll give you a lot more flexibility.

Now that is an interesting idea. I will attempt to google that, but do you have any links on some guides?

I've got some info in my files but alas, no idea where it came from.

But there's lots of discussion out there on the 'net, probably more than you want to know.

A quick google took me here; both MS Client/WG1049 and DOS 7 are discussed; looks like only MS client can do TCP/IP (as well as NETBEUI & IPX)? That seems odd...

http://sevensisterscafe.com/network_booting.htm

I've always used NETBEUI myself.

Good luck, and have FUN!

I did some more research and checkes out your link. Basically all the DOS networking stuff out there centers around MS LanMan or the MS Client (most the MS Client). The thing that varies is whether or not this is done on a DOS 6 or 7 boot disk.

And, in truth, it does work well, provided your share is on a Win9x/NT machine or possibly simply unsecured.

I believe that Jorg was right when he said it was because of encryption. Windows 95 (and I think 98 ) file sharing was done without much security and the passwords were all in plain text, Windows XP or newer forces encrypted passwords to be used.

I am sure it is possible to get the machine to authenticate on a Windows 2003 domain, but it would probably compromise network security and at the end of the day may not be worth it.

So my solution was to create a virtual Windows 95 machine (using VMWare - which is not free, but it could be done with Sun's Virtualbox or MS Virtual PC, both are free to download). On the the 95 install I set a share which is completely open. I can then map that share to any of my DOS, XP, Vista or 2003 machines.

Lastly, since the network components of the MS Client have to mostly run in base memory and chew up quite a large chunk of it (app 150k all-in-all), I created a config.sys menu that allows me to select whether I want network support or not. Details on how to do this are here: http://dos.rsvs.net/DOSPAGE/CONFMENU.HTM

This does not, however, create a DOS file server and I am clueless as to how to allow the DOS MS Client to allow incoming connections.

Theoretically with the MS Client and the Hotfix that turns it into a server version this should be possible to do with TCP/IP, NetBui or IPX/SPX. I was, after all, able to share a folder and when I type "NET USE" on any of my other machines the DOS machine shows up as a DOS Server.

If you were worried about network security, simple DOS based solution.

On the win2k3 machine, enable IPX and set it as a share. Open share.

Tcp/ip cannot encapsulate IPX packets and IPX has no clue about TCP, so
'network security' on that share is not even required.

Talk about literally the perfect firewall...

If you were worried about network security, simple DOS based solution.

On the win2k3 machine, enable IPX and set it as a share. Open share.

Tcp/ip cannot encapsulate IPX packets and IPX has no clue about TCP, so
'network security' on that share is not even required.

Talk about literally the perfect firewall...

Yea, IPX is an easy way of doing sharing and security at the same time.

Nobody botherd to setup a Novel server and kick it old school?

Some things you need to do...

Some things you need to do...

In the local security policy or group policy wherever you have it, you need to make adjustments to NTLM authentication. Microsoft Network for DOS and LAN Manager use version 1 of NT Lan Manager Authentication, Windows 2003 rejects version 1 authentication by default, but in the LSP/GP, you can force server 2003 to process it.

Back