• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hoarding

I am hesitant to cling onto Socket 7 boards for this reason. While I can certainly find a bundle of them, probably for free, there's no guarantee they'll ever be treasured by anyone. The original PC is collectable and valuable because it is unique. There is nothing unique about a generic baby AT form factor motherboard, which makes me wonder if the same "once it gets old and rare it will be valuable" system applies to stuff from the 90s and up.

Yes, 386+ PCs will likely never become valuable, unlike a 5150 or a PCjr or a Tandy 1000 or most 8-bit machines, because all of those are unique. If I were to sell my Pentium on Ebay (and I have great sentimental attachment to it and would never part with it), I guarantee you I wouldn't find any takers.

You could make the same argument about cars. A 1957 Chevy Bel Air will always be sought after by collectors, but something like a 1994 Cavalier won't be worth anything ever.

CRT monitors will probably be very difficult to find in 20 years.

Since you mention that, we can also bring up TVs. A Zenith porthole set from 1950 is collectible, but my GE set from 1995 won't ever be.

Probably in 20 years, LCDs (something I've never been a fan of) will have been superseded by some new display technology. And there'll still be people using CRTs, just as there are still some people who use turntables (a small number admittedly, but they're out there).

Yes, 386+ PCs will likely never become valuable, unlike a 5150 or a PCjr or a Tandy 1000 or most 8-bit machines, because all of those are unique. If I were to sell my Pentium on Ebay (and I have great sentimental attachment to it and would never part with it), I guarantee you I wouldn't find any takers.
386+ to me aren't really valuable because this is where most computers stopped being unique and all started making beige-box systems.

And there'll still be people using CRTs, just as there are still some people who use turntables (a small number admittedly, but they're out there).
yeah. Old technology just can't be beat...

On another topic, why does modern stuff tend to break so quickly now? "Quality and performance" doesn't seem to mean anything anymore.

386+ to me aren't really valuable because this is where most computers stopped being unique and all started making beige-box systems.

On another topic, why does modern stuff tend to break so quickly now? "Quality and performance" doesn't seem to mean anything anymore.
I kind of agree on both of those points, though I will gladly accept a 386-486 if someone throws one my way.

Modern technology breaks *way* too fast. Not really breaking, but my Athlon XP worked great for a couple years (made in 2003 or so), but then it was like someone poured mollasses between the mobo and processor. A 1.7GHz computer with a gigabyte of RAM shouldn't run XP so dang slow. 20 seconds to open up an application, and a minute and a half to open IE is rediculous.

I'm not much of a hoarder, cause I don't get much to hoard :p When I do get something, if it all doesn't work, I remove what does and recycle the rest. Because I only have about 30 cubic feet I can spare on computer storage, I limit myself to Tandy computers and portable computers. Tandy because their awesome, and portables because their... portable...

I think each class of computer will have it\'s own collectibility with each generation of people. Just because that person used that system when they were young and want to revisit those memory\'s. However I think any system after the 486\'s will gain wide spread collectibility (hell vintage comptuers is not a wide spread hobby) just like the Apple II IBM 5150 C64 MITS 8008 and so on. We already see 486\'s and some P1\'s getting harder and harder to find. I also think age and rare of an item will also make it worth something. I think 5 or 10 years from now a 486 for $200 dollars will be the standard, and the other systems listed above I think will just sky rocket in value.

Like Chuck said there at one time was tons of system 36\'s in use but find one now, at one time the 56/57 Chevys were worth nothing more then scrap metal, at one time the Mits 8008 was nothing but outdated junk. History has a good history of repeating itself.

I think each class of computer will have it\'s own collectibility with each generation of people. Just because that person used that system when they were young and want to revisit those memory\'s. However I think any system after the 486\'s will gain wide spread collectibility (hell vintage comptuers is not a wide spread hobby) just like the Apple II IBM 5150 C64 MITS 8008 and so on. We already see 486\'s and some P1\'s getting harder and harder to find. I also think age and rare of an item will also make it worth something. I think 5 or 10 years from now a 486 for $200 dollars will be the standard, and the other systems listed above I think will just sky rocket in value.

Like Chuck said there at one time was tons of system 36\'s in use but find one now, at one time the 56/57 Chevys were worth nothing more then scrap metal, at one time the Mits 8008 was nothing but outdated junk. History has a good history of repeating itself.
486s and Pentium I's are getting hard to find?!?!?

Noone told me about this, I've pulled in a half dozen of the lil bastards in the past month and a half.

Heh, my less-than-1-year old DTV converter box stopped responding to its remote control last night. Said box sits atop a roughly 30-year-old Sony color TV (which survived the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake after being knocked to the floor and is old enough not to have a remote control) that's still going strong.

I'd say you have a valid gripe. :)

You must live in a small town or some place way behind on computers, the normal e-waste stream around here is PII\'s to P4\'s.

486s and Pentium I\'s are getting hard to find?!?!?

Noone told me about this, I\'ve pulled in a half dozen of the lil bastards in the past month and a half.

...and I can supply you with even more if you can swallow the shipping costs, I want this crap GONE.
*sigh* wish I could, but right now I'm just after laptops. Easier to ship, as I don't have the money for high shipping rates, or teh space for desktop computers. The only desktop i want is a Gateway2000 486DX-2 with monitor and anykey keyboard.

*sigh* wish I could, but right now I'm just after laptops. Easier to ship, as I don't have the money for high shipping rates, or teh space for desktop computers. The only desktop i want is a Gateway2000 486DX-2 with monitor and anykey keyboard.

Hate to nitpick but you might appreciate this...

When replying to posts, there is a "multi-quote" button (to the right of "quote")...you can toggle it on and off for posts, so let's say there are 3 replies in a row you want to reply to, you click multi for each and then hit post reply at the bottom. It will include all the ones you "multi quoted" in your reply so you can reply to them all in one go if you like.

I don't have any complete systems at the moment but I have the parts to build two complete ones and then a few incomplete (missing hard drives and cases) as well. Shipping would still be on the high side even for the parts though.

I'm also kind of looking for an AnyKey keyboard, but then again I have somewhat of a keyboard hoarding issue (which is far less under control than the other computer parts half of it). Actually there are a few I'm trying to get rid of but shipping seems to deter people.

I also want a gateway2000 486/66 system (I do have a keyboard that was meant for it I think, found it at a thrift). I want the Gateway mostly because the case looked cool, at the time I built better systems out of parts in generic cases.

Out of curiosity anybody here like me where they look through the old computer magazines and advertisements and come across something they add to the "get this" list, or is it mostly whatever comes across your field of vision online or at thrifts? I would think hoarders would be the people who want everything. Quite a bit of the stuff I look for I find in magazines and some of it takes years to show up on ebay or other places, since I am looking for it and know what it does (and what parts are included) I jump on it.

e-waste here seems to be p2-p4 as others have said, and this is a smaller city in depressed NE Ohio. The local recycler gets some 486 systems once in a very long while, mostly because he charges a fee to dispose of monitors unless you include a complete tower with it.

Most old technology never completely dies out. Even horse buggies are kept alive by the Amish.

Easy. Most of it is made in China. Of course, things broke in the old days, but they were designed to be repairable, which is generally not the case today.

I think 5 or 10 years from now a 486 for $200 dollars will be the standard, and the other systems listed above I think will just sky rocket in value.

486s and Pentiums aren't completely worthless, as some people use them to play later DOS games from the 1991-1995 era.

In the early to mid '90s (when Windows was becoming big), XTs were being thrown away by the truckload. I saw a post somewhere in which a guy said that he could remember in the '70s seeing alleyways full of discarded round-tube color TVs (now collectable). Who would have wanted a 1957 Chevy in 1966?

Heh, my less-than-1-year old DTV converter box stopped responding to its remote control last night.

Probably also made in China. Digital TV is one of the biggest mistakes I've ever seen. While visiting my local flea market back in June, they had an '80s TV with a converter box. Let me tell you, it was not a pretty sight.

Said box sits atop a roughly 30-year-old Sony color TV (which survived the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake after being knocked to the floor and is old enough not to have a remote control) that's still going strong.

I've got a Sears 13" TV from 1978. It's a piece of junk with bad color and a magnetized spot on the left side of the screen (sometime I'll degauss it), but it works. At least the picture doesn't look like it's made of Lego blocks like on a Samsung LCD that I saw running last week. I was left scratching my head and wondering "This is supposed to be better than CRTs?".

I've got a Sears 13" TV from 1978. It's a piece of junk with bad color and a magnetized spot on the left side of the screen (sometime I'll degauss it), but it works. At least the picture doesn't look like it's made of Lego blocks like on a Samsung LCD that I saw running last week. I was left scratching my head and wondering "This is supposed to be better than CRTs?".

My first display for my TV Typewriter was a 13" Zenith B&W set (transformerless). I tapped right into the last video amplifier stage, so even 64 columns looked pretty good. Try to find a B&W set today.

I can't stand to look at modern LCD/Plasma big-screen TV's. Maybe it's me, but I see all sorts of digitization artifacts, particularly in fast motion. Horrible--and no one is proposing any fixes. The bugs are fossilized in amber, it seems.

I think the DTV switchover was done mostly to free up HF spectrum space, not for any quality reasons.

And, related to another post, audio vinyl has enjoyed quite a resurgence. CD audio isn't all that great.

In the early to mid '90s (when Windows was becoming big), XTs were being thrown away by the truckload. I saw a post somewhere in which a guy said that he could remember in the '70s seeing alleyways full of discarded round-tube color TVs (now collectable). Who would have wanted a 1957 Chevy in 1966?

Hi
I was around in 1966 and believe me, a '57 Chevy was a cool car
to have. Some things are classics the minute they are made while
other are just space fillers.
Dwight

I can't stand to look at modern LCD/Plasma big-screen TV's. Maybe it's me, but I see all sorts of digitization artifacts, particularly in fast motion. Horrible--and no one is proposing any fixes. The bugs are fossilized in amber, it seems.

I think the DTV switchover was done mostly to free up HF spectrum space, not for any quality reasons.

And, related to another post, audio vinyl has enjoyed quite a resurgence. CD audio isn't all that great.

Digital anything that is not lossless will cause those artifacts, your eye is tuned to movement so jpeg artifacts are more noticable then say compressed music ones are to the ears.

Digital TV and LCD/Plasma shift was for money mostly. The government can sell the old bands for a profit while tv companies can sell everybody a new tv and tuner (CRT TV's and Monitors were pretty much low profit items by that point). A broadcast of an old 4:3 program in digital to a widescreen looks bad, especially at low resolution.

The problem with CD's is early ones were mastered with bad A/D converters and sounded bad (early 80's), and later music is too compressed (best for radio, boomboxes, and walkmans) in the mixing (no real soft spots to show what CD can do). I guess if you are going to bother pressing a record you will remaster the original recording.

Hi
I was around in 1966 and believe me, a '57 Chevy was a cool car
to have. Some things are classics the minute they are made while
other are just space fillers.
Dwight

Oddly enough I don't think the 57 chevy sold that well when it was new.

I don't hoard much anymore. I just keep some stuff around to keep the computers I have going....I'm pretty happy with this setup...

- Main Computer - ususally either in a modern or the GEM's old case. The GEM is currently getting reworked into a full ATX desktop, so I have everything in a cheap coke can aluminum case for the time being.

- I have a handful of vintage machines, a Tandy 1000 with a SCSI drive, 2 486, and 1 286, and an XT that's tucked away in the kitchen cabinet as a rainy day project when I find the parts. That's enough for me. The days of having a whole shed full of computers awaiting repairs with all sorts of unfixable problems are far over for me. I play games on them and fiddle with old software for fun mostly.

- I collected a lot of video games, you can call this hoarding, I have tons of controllers and carts for my NES and Atari 2600. I'm happy with what I have now, so I just don't have the desire to collect more.

Right now the only thing I really still collect is guitars, and most of what I'm getting is the cheap crap people throw my way (Kay, Harmony, First Act...etc), so then I can see how well I can fix the issues with the guitar to make it play and sound better, if not redesign it in a few ways.

Oddly enough I don't think the 57 chevy sold that well when it was new.

They sold about 1.5 million, most of which were 210s and Bel Airs. The bottom-rung 150 wasn't as popular, and isn't as collectible either, except for some very rare fuel-injected models.

I was around in 1966 and believe me, a '57 Chevy was a cool car to have. Some things are classics the minute they are made while other are just space fillers.

One could say the same about the '59 Cadillac or the Hemi Charger. If we're talking computers, the C64 and Apple II were always classics, even in the early '90s when they were retired from production.

Digital TV and LCD/Plasma shift was for money mostly. The government can sell the old bands for a profit while tv companies can sell everybody a new tv and tuner (CRT TV's and Monitors were pretty much low profit items by that point). A broadcast of an old 4:3 program in digital to a widescreen looks bad, especially at low resolution.

True. You can get a new 13" TV (as all the sets in that size are still CRTs) for $100. I found out that my 13" set from 1978 would have cost over $400 new, and considering how that was more money then than today.

Flat-screen TVs are mainly optimized for HD signals. SD rarely looks good except on some top-of-the-line models. I've heard the stories of how people used their old consoles/computers with flat-screen TVs and found how bad the picture looks. The basic problem is that LCD/plasma screens are digital devices, and you're trying to get them to use an analog video signal that was originally designed for CRTs (an analog device).

It's true that flat-screen TVs can do some things that CRTs can't, such as wide-screen and 1080p pictures, but to a large extent the takeover of them has been due to clever marketing and because they look cool. If I had to pick though, I'd probably take a plasma set because they have better color.

The Samsung LCD that I saw was a 20" model, but it was a low-end SD-only set. If you go into places like Wal-Mart though, you'll only see the big HD sets, as those have the highest profit margin.

Some of the bandwidth was sold to cell-phone companies, among others. They claim some advantages such as more channels and surround-sound, but digital TV was really just a scheme by cable companies to force the 20 million or so Americans who were still using antennas to subscribe to cable so they could continue using their analog TVs, or else use a converter box and have a terrible picture.

CDs have the problem in that being digital, they cut sound off above certain frequencies. Also, they make it possible to have grossly oversampled music that turns into raw square waves. I'm sure everyone's seen people crank up their car stereo to the point where the whole vehicle vibrates.

On the other hand, some old technologies like dial-up Internet and those computerized carburetors they had in the late '70s and early '80s deserve to stay in the past and never be seen or heard from again.

Back