• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What supports dual pentiums?

NeXT

Veteran Member
I now got a dual PPro and dual Socket 7 motherboard but aside form NT and linux, what else even existed that supported multiple processors? I'm quite sure Windows 95 and 98 never supported SMP, shoot, I never knew the Pentium design even allowed for multiple processors.

There are smp kernals available for OS/2. Novell Netware had smp support from v4(with an extension), V5 in the kernal.

Last edited:
I've still got a dual p90 HP Vectra. It was uniprocessor for the first two years of its life, then I got a second CPU out of another system that was being scrapped.

Yeah, the Win95/98 line don't use multiple processors. I've run NT, Linux, and OS/2 on mine.

I've still got a dual p90 HP Vectra. It was uniprocessor for the first two years of its life, then I got a second CPU out of another system that was being scrapped.

Yeah, the Win95/98 line don't use multiple processors. I've run NT, Linux, and OS/2 on mine.
hmm, since I never installed it, I never thought about the OS for my dual Pentium II Dell I have; it has a PII and I came up with an identical one for its second slot. Looks like it'll be a contemporary Linux for it.

There is also the Bluebottle variant of Oberon which is another of the self hosted development environments and operating systems derived from Niklaus Wirth's work.

It is free; it is very different; you might want to try it. Like the related operating systems, a 3 button mouse is very helpful. Some scroll mice don't do a good job processing clicks with the center button/scroll wheel.

yeah i have a Compaq Proliant 2500 with the dual pentium pros, overclocked from 200 to 233 MHz. the thing is a BEAST with both debian and windows 2000 server.

I would think NT4 would be good for the Dual P1's and PPro's , Win2k for anything faster (depending on RAM also).
NT 3.5.1 would be cool also if the system is supported. No idea what retail UNIX was around that will work well on x86 systems from that era.

I would think NT4 would be good for the Dual P1's and PPro's , Win2k for anything faster (depending on RAM also).
NT 3.5.1 would be cool also if the system is supported.

I would agree with that :)
Found a copy of NT 4 Server to run my quad socket 5 easy... but still looking for a cheap copy of 3.51 Server to run the quad socket 4

I got copies of NT 4 everywhere here so that's not an issue.
I also got a nice Dual AT form factor PPro board. I'm just trying to find a case for it as when they state full-size AT, they mean full-size AT.

NT 3.5.1 would be cool also if the system is supported. No idea what retail UNIX was around that will work well on x86 systems from that era.

2k server seriously screams on my dual PPros. I tried NT4 as well, which was of course also super fast but it was a bit too outdated. too much software that doesn't like to run on it anymore.

EDIT: although, my Proliant does have 640 MB of RAM....

Hi All,

I've had a bit of fun recently. I have a Dual P1 100mhx motherboard (£1 from a Car Boot Sale - UK junk open market) with 64MB of ram and am currently running Windows XP Pro SP3. It has an 8MB 3D ATI graphics card installed, and a 6GB HDD.
Considering all things it runs pretty well, boot up is a bit on the slow side - well what do you expect. Office 2003 runs ok. Interesting watching the CPU use when doing anything, most of the time the processors are hitting to 100% end stops !!
If anyone would like a few pictures i'll try to get some taken and posted here.
Cheers,
Alan.

Some years ago I ran W2k on a Gigabyte GA-586-DX dual P5 with a pair of P5-233 MMX. Its sole purpose was to run two instances of hyperterminal as debug terminal for some embedded systems, and it was still gawd awful slow. Running BeOS on it was ... tolerable, but alas there were very few things I could do with BeOS...

I ran Win2K WS quite nicely on an Abit BP6 w/ Dual Celery 366 OCed to 450. Was smooth, and fast it may not have scored the highest benchmarks but it did multitask w/out lag running most usual stuff.

Hi All,

I've had a bit of fun recently. I have a Dual P1 100mhx motherboard (£1 from a Car Boot Sale - UK junk open market) with 64MB of ram and am currently running Windows XP Pro SP3. It has an 8MB 3D ATI graphics card installed, and a 6GB HDD.
Considering all things it runs pretty well, boot up is a bit on the slow side - well what do you expect. Office 2003 runs ok. Interesting watching the CPU use when doing anything, most of the time the processors are hitting to 100% end stops !!
If anyone would like a few pictures i'll try to get some taken and posted here.
Cheers,
Alan.

I was planning on getting something like that, but dual 300-400Mhz P1 w/ 512MB or more RAM. Was too hard to find a board, so it's on the backburner for now (as is all of my vintage stuff, at the moment, really - too little money for purchasing new "toys", heh).

Using a "Pentium Overdrive" (for Socket 4 and/or 5 systems) you can get a 100Mhz box up to at least 200Mhz iirc - would provide a substantial boost, as well as MMX.

You are insane. :p

Back when XP first came out, I ran it on my Sony PictureBook. Pentium MMX 266 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 4 GB hard drive (upgraded to 20 GB a few months after upgrading to XP,) 6 MB MagicGraph video, and a Lucent WaveLAN card.

Ran it just fine as long as I didn't use "consumer" antivirus.

Back