• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how bad are you with leaving browser tabs open?

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
i am always really bad about this. i leave tabs open thinking "i'll look at this later" then never do. i was noticing firefox was eating over 840 MB of RAM so i counted the open tabs. 143!

am i the only one that is this bad about it?

I do the same in Chrome. Looking at task manager the total memory chrome is using on my system right now is around 1.2gb though I only have 7 tabs open.

when my tabs get this bad i usually just kill the process, and select the ones i really actually want from the firefox recovery page. it's faster when you have so many. :)

I can get up to a dozen, but rarely higher (except when I'm checking webcomics, I follow a lot of those,) and all of them will be closed by the end of the day ;D

I have 17 open at the moment... that number is often higher, but I rarely go over about 30-40. It just gets unmanageable beyond that.

But most of those tabs are of sites I visit frequently, and they'll stay open for months at a time... a few of 'em have even been there a couple years. And because I do a full backup of my Firefox profile, including the saved session, some of my tabs have even survived through a couple different machines and multiple installs of two different versions of Windows.

I was taking Fortify training at work and they spoke about this. Apparently, if you have a browser tab open at a rogue site and another at your online bank, you may be vulnerable to cross site scripting or something like that. The instructor indicated folks should avoid keeping two browsers tabs open if one involves sensitive information like your bank account. I always do it. Maybe it's because I have no money that there hasn't been an issue.

I generally don't have more than... 30 open at once... but I run my tabs in portrait mode on the right, with custom "close this tab and go to next" and "close this tab and go to previous" buttons added above them. I often open up a forum index, middle click on everything that interests me, then go through them one at a time.

Yes, that's right, I'm an Opera user. We can do things like that.

I have tons of tabs open at all times. In addition I have lots of windows open, in lots of virtual desktops, each window with a number of open tabs. That is, among other reasons, because I usually go back to office after hours and walk through my non-work-related forums and the like. I have long since given up keeping interesting stuff in bookmarks, the number of bookmarks are just too vast. And I don't remember enough of the right keywords to find the interesting page again later.

There was, for example, a page about combining a Git version control setup with a particular way of managing a web site. Somebody on a mailing list provided a link to that page some ten months ago. I used it back then, but recently I wanted to re-visit the page to check something. I searched all combinations of keywords I could think of but could never find the right page via the Famous Web Search Engine. But then I found it in a tab in one of my Firefox windows in one of my 18 virtual desktops.. case solved!

I need all those desktops, windows and tabs bcause I use my main computer for everything. I work on some 30 different work packages, which means that for longer or shorter periods I must leave a work package behind for hours, days, weeks or months, and revisit later. As I have carefully opened windows and tabs with all the info I need (including local files opened in a browser, but anyway I use the same principle with XEmacs) I don't wish to shut all of that down because I'm about to work on something else. No, I keep it all in tabs. And windows. And desktops. The main problem I had for a while was that X-Windows would run out of file descriptors, apparently it can only hold 255 open windows at the time. Fortunately that count does not include tabs inside each window. or even some windows on the side - I don't understand that particular aspect that well - but I have occasionally ran into the annoying problem of not being able to open more windows (did I mention the scores of open xterm terminal windows.. maybe I didn't).

So, when I switch work packages (or, after hours, visit some interesting forum or hobby project of mine) I have it all available, somewhere.

Well, Firefox eats memory. It seems to be much better in its 5.x incarnation than in 3.5, not to mention the last of the 2.x versions, but I still found it best to upgrade the computer to 16GB RAM. Occasionally Firefox will run out anyway, or xulrunner (mystical part of modern Firefox software) will go insane. Then it will either kill itself, or I have to kill it. And here's where a Firefox feature comes in handy: When I restart Firefox it'll open up all those windows and all those tabs, and I'm back where I was, minus the excessive memory footprint that caused it to crash, or to have to be killed.

As for this forum - when I read it I open a new window or tab for the "What's New" search, then I open a new tab for each thread I want to read. Then I read the threads and close them as I'm done with them, until only the 'search' tab/window remains. If that took some time then I'll click "What's new" again and read any updates, if not, I'll click "mark forums read" and I'm done (and those throw-away tabs gone as well). That works nicely.

Chromium (a variant of Chrome) is in many ways much better than Firefox, particularly in that as you open windows you're actually starting new processes. So a bad-behaving flash window, for example, can't destroy or stop everything else. But on the other hand Chromium doesn't recover all tabs and windows if it's forced down (it doesn't kill itself regularly the way Firefox does though). So in practice I use both Firefox, Chromium, Konquerer, and sometimes Opera and another one at the same time. And I even run Firefox on different accounts at the same time (it's easy to combine users in the same windows when on Linux), due to Firefox' annoying habit of insisting to use only a single instance - you can't start another instance as the same user, and sometimes I wish to keep things separate. E.g. just being able to do searches in the FWSE in an instance where I'm _not_ logged in to gmail. They don't need to record my searches.

So, how many tabs do I currently have open in total? No idea, I simply can't count them. :mrgreen:

-Tor

lol! I thought I was the only one bad about that. Yeah both work at home I have a bunch of "look at it later" things open. I try to be good sometimes and bookmark them but I don't know why I feel like I'll lose my bookmarks (actually ok I have with Firefox) so I keep some open still.. like the magnetic core memory DIY project which I read half of, and the How to Build A Working Digital Computer which also read half.

Wow, you guys just don't know how to bookmark pages into subfolders to make them easy to find later.

It's inherited from me and how I used to always forget to copy my favorites when upgrading computers over the years. Not that important probably. Firefox has lost my trust in it's bookmarks after two separate upgrades on separate systems which deleted/overwrote my bookmark file. Probably why I'm bigger into keeping the tabs open. IE I only have tabs from the work I do for non-compatible sites. That one I trust the bookmarks other than them getting out of hand eventually.

Wow, you guys just don't know how to bookmark pages into subfolders to make them easy to find later.
The bookmark subfolders fill up immediately and anyway there's all the time new pages that won't fit the category, so you'll have to create new folders constantly. The alternative is to put the bookmarks in somewhere they shouldn't be, and what's the point then. In any case the whole bookmarking maintenance ends up taking way too much time so I've mostly let it go (I bookmark only very special things now). There's no point at all anyway to try to bookmark the set of I don't know how many tabs I have distributed around my virtual desktops and their windows right now. How would I go about going through all those bookmarks of thousands, to find the, say, 70 I would need for this week? Can't be done. Just like I abandoned sorting the files on my computer into meaningful directory hierarchies years ago (how to sort ten thousand files? No, I use 'locate' instead.)

The hundreds of tabs I have available now survive crashes and reboots, and have done for a very very long time, so I'm a happy camper with my ever-lasting tabs! :)

I probably don't have more than about 100 bookmarks and currently have one tab open. Some of those bookmarks go back to 1997.

I have been known to have three command-prompt windows open.

I just can't be that flighty. I sit and read, digest and memorize. If it's hard to remember, I print it out and take the hardcopy away from the machine and study it.

Maybe that's an indicator of age. :confused:

To conserve energy I shut down my notebook after I use it so I automatically close all tabs. :)

I retain very few bookmarks. I usually manage to memorize URLs.

Back