• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm pga & ega

It won't, but not because of the CGA register-incompatibility. The PGA has an analog output and the 5154 can only connect to devices which have a digital output.

It's not impossible, if you're willing to go to some lengths. Since EGA is only 4 levels per color (2 bit digital), some inexpensive flash ADCs (i.e. comparators) could do the job inexpensively.

It all depends on how desperate you are and how "authentic" you want to be.

@Chuck
Hi Chuck,
I've got the 5154 and the IBM EGA Card, but the card doesn't display some EGA games correctly, I've been told its because there isn't enough VRAM on the card, so I thought maybe the PGA would have enough.

I've got the 5154 and the IBM EGA Card, but the card doesn't display some EGA games correctly, I've been told its because there isn't enough VRAM on the card, so I thought maybe the PGA would have enough.

The PGA isn't compatible *at all* with EGA and you can probably count the number of software packages that actually supported PGA on, I dunno, both hands and a few toes. Thus I wouldn't really recommend it as a gaming card.

If you have a PGA with no monitor I'm pretty sure it will work with a VGA monitor with very little fuss. (A simple adapter cable will probably do it.) Even if you solved the analog-to-digital problem the scan frequency of the PGA's output is way over what a 5154 is designed to accept so you'd probably have to do some substantial work in addition to adding ADCs to get a usable picture out of it.

@Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Are you committed to an IBM EGA card, or will any third-party EGA card do?

The signals from the PGA/PGC is almost exactly the same as VGA, where the only difference is that the PGA/PGC has composite sync while VGA has separate H/V sync. Even the pinout almost exactly resembles 9-pin VGA, again with the only exception being the sync lines. As a result, it will work perfectly with many VGA monitors just by using a regular 9-pin VGA to 15-pin VGA adapter cable.

The original monitor used with the PGC/PGA was the IBM 5175. As compability with the PGC/PGA was quite lacking, some of these monitors have over the years been modified into VGA monitors due to the extreme similarities between the two standards.

Last edited:
Back