• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is it possible to have a shared network folder on vista that windows 98 can access?

Right click on the folder and click sharing. Then, you can select to share the folder and give it a share name. Also, go into the Control Panel, click on Network, And there's a button for file sharing. Make sure that the check box next to file sharing is checked.

I'm more familiar with Windows 7 to be honest because I found Vista too slow and unstable.
The reason is, server security requirements change with newer versions of Windows, so older setups can't always connect to newer server shares (e.g. 40bit vs 128bit).
I was just suggesting it to eliminate any possible weird security issues.

Anywho, as I mentioned above, have you tried typing \\name of machine - it may not always display in the list.

To share in 98, right click on folder, go to 'Sharing...' or if thats not there, Properties and then the Sharing tab.
You enable the file sharing in the network setup window, it'll have two options 'Allow others to access my files and printers'.... etc and instead of 'Windows Login' it should be Client for Microsoft Networks in the drop down.

Sorry, just doing this from memory, because I'm at work (its 3PM here).

(Edit: DOS beat me :) )

In Win98, choose a folder or create a new one, right click on it and choose the sharing menu option.

The benefit is you only need to have both Win98 and Windows Vista part of the same workgroup; you don't need to make sure the Win98 user is also a user on the Windows Vista machine and that the passwords match. There was some change in security that causes some Win98 passwords to look wrong to Vista.

I wish I could remember which option was needed to let Vista see the Win98 system; one of the automatic file and printing sharing things has to be turned off forcing manual locating. But right now, my Win98 networked system is busy updating its other operating system which means I can't do the copy between Win98 and Vista and thus can't check all the necessary settings.

OH YEAH! It works.

I messed around with the ip addresses of the 2 computers:
set the 98 to 123.123.0.0
set the vista to: 123.123.0.1

then on the vista computer I typed in \\TBB\nice (that was the share folder) and ITS ABOUT TIME! Well, that took half the day to figure out. but since I changed the ip addresses, it broke the internet sharing... so I'll have to figure that out...

Internet isn't working because you've put those two machines on a different IP network.

You shouldn't just use any random IP though, only some are reserved for local use, local should begin with 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x, and for normal usage (subnet 255.255.255.0) the first three sets of numbers must be the same for every machine on the network, and the last number unique. Usually an internet router with DHCP built in takes care of this automatically (including internet access etc).

If you have a router with DHCP that works then if you enable DHCP on both machines you'll be sorted.
If DHCP doesn't work, find the IP address of your main machine and copy that - changing only the last number for each.

e.g.
(avoid using .1 or .2 though, they're common with off-the-shelf routers)

Would've mentioned this earlier but I thought that part of the network setup was already sorted. Not usually an issue because people usually just let DHCP do the work.

Congrats on the success, next time it'll be 5 minutes ;)

OH YEAH! It works.

I messed around with the ip addresses of the 2 computers:
set the 98 to 123.123.0.0
set the vista to: 123.123.0.1

then on the vista computer I typed in \\TBB\nice (that was the share folder) and ITS ABOUT TIME! Well, that took half the day to figure out. but since I changed the ip addresses, it broke the internet sharing... so I'll have to figure that out...

I'm not sure why you chose those numbers. Yes, if nothing on your local network is connected to the internet, there is no potential problem. However, the reason we normally use reserved addresses for local networks is in case of any potential errors in configuration, which could possibly cause other people on the net some grief.

Code:
Private Address Space

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has
reserved the following three blocks of the IP address
space for private internets (local networks):

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

For small lan's most people choose the 192.168.0.0 range. :)

I see SpidersWeb posted while I was writing, and added some more important basic concepts. :) I would add that it is a good idea to sit down with a piece of paper (or text file) and plan out the numbers you are going to use on your home network. I personally keep a file of these numbers so that all the machines which are not currently connected can also have their own IP and there is a system to what I'm doing. The fundamental idea here is to have a system.

BTW, the idea of using the IANA reserved addresses for LANs is similar to agreeing to drive on the right hand side of the road - it avoids collisions.

Internet isn't working because you've put those two machines on a different IP network.

So if I had the ethernet for my laptop and win98 computer's IP addresses set the same as the laptop's wireless adapter (which is shared) execpt for the last number, the internet sharing would work?

also I switched the IP addresses around:
win98: 192.168.0.5
vista ethernet: 192.168.0.6

that works.

I just put the 123.123.0.0 and stuff because it was easy and I was just playing around with it. I didn't expect it to work but it did.

Are you using "Internet Connection Sharing" (the tool in Windows) or do you have a broadband router in the house?

If it's a broadband router, then copy the gateway, dns, ip (except last numbers), and you should have sharing + internet.
If it's literally "internet connection sharing" software, then I can't help because I haven't used that in roughly 10 years :eek:

I'm not sure why you chose those numbers. Yes, if nothing on your local network is connected to the internet, there is no potential problem. However, the reason we normally use reserved addresses for local networks is in case of any potential errors in configuration, which could possibly cause other people on the net some grief.

Code:
Private Address Space

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has
reserved the following three blocks of the IP address
space for private internets (local networks):

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

For small lan's most people choose the 192.168.0.0 range. :)

But also keep in mind that on a Class C block, 192.168.x.0 is the network address, and cannot be used...

the only way to the internet is downstairs on the other side of the house. the only way it gets up here is wireless. so I basically use my laptop as a communicator between my ethernet hub up here and the wireless router down there, I'm using the internet sharing on the wireless connection through windows.

Glad you got it working. With those settings, does everything work now? (Wasn't quite clear at the end.)

Congrats on the success, next time it'll be 5 minutes ;)
I wouldn't say that so fast for DOS networking. Although, the second time I set up mTCP, it went around eight minutes. But with MSLANMAN or MSClient, that could take longer.

I wouldn't say that so fast for DOS networking. Although, the second time I set up mTCP, it went around eight minutes. But with MSLANMAN or MSClient, that could take longer.
Especially when you manually put a network driver in config.sys, which turns out to be the wrong file, on a machine with no working floppy - like I did last night D:

For Internet Connection Sharing you could try setting the gateway setting to match the IP address of your laptop - but I remember Windows making configuration disks for ICS in the past and having issues - but it's been so long - haven't tried it with Vista.

So with the 192.168.0.x addresses, I can access my windows 98 computer with my laptop, but now the internet sharing doesn't work anymore.
So I was thinking that I should set the IP addresses of the laptop's ethernet and the win98's ethernet to the same as the laptop's wireless address, with the exception of the last number in the addresses, which should be different than any of the other devices on that network. maybe that would make the internet sharing work.

Remember that many many routers and APs use 192.168.0.1 and ...2 as access to their own control interfaces. Same with 192.168.1.1. Trying to use those for your NICs will create a mess.

So pick a static IP well outside the low-numbered range; e.g. 192.168.0.110.

FWIW, my own internal net uses 10.0.0.x addresses. That way, I know I'm not conflicting with any of the various boxes on the wire.

Exactly that. My Pentium's USB support is not that great and crashes a lot when I use my flash drive. I want to send files back and forth between my windows 98 pentium computer and my windows vista laptop via network.

If you do not strictly need the shared folder mapped to a drive letter, you could install a free FTP Server in the Vista machine, and access it from the network using a free FTP client.

Free FTP server for Windows: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

Free FTP client for Windows: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

So now that I got the filesharing down (I hooked up my dell dimension and connected it to the network), I have the Internet connection sharing enabled for my laptop's wireless adapter.

So my xp dell is telling me when it fails to load a webpage that the DNS lookup failed. Is the reason this isn't working because I left the DNS Address fields blank when setting the IP addresses?

ALSO:
I tried making the Ip addresses the same as the wireless adapter's : 192.168.1.xxx instead of 192.168.0.xxx That didn't do much.

Cool, I found a wireless router that automatically configures IP addresses, I think its called DHCP or something like that... well i still had to manually configure the IP address of the win98 machine, but the dell and vista are automatically configured, sweet. the problem now is that the internet sharing still doesn't work.

Remember that many many routers and APs use 192.168.0.1 and ...2 as access to their own control interfaces. Same with 192.168.1.1. Trying to use those for your NICs will create a mess.

So pick a static IP well outside the low-numbered range; e.g. 192.168.0.110.

Good advice. The other way to avoid that is to make a list and your own plan. I tend to avoid DHCP because I haven't got an easy way to know what IP gets picked without physically accessing the machine in question.* Perhaps that's just my ignorance, but I avoid it by using static. That said DHCP is handy for testing and guests. So I reserve 10 addresses for that.

@Tr3vor, you'll find your router probably has a place to chose the number of addresses for DHCP if you want to fool with that.

Tr3vor: So my xp dell is telling me when it fails to load a webpage that the DNS lookup failed. Is the reason this isn't working because I left the DNS Address fields blank when setting the IP addresses?

Yes. The only other place it can know from is your hosts file. That file, incidentally, is a great way to implement a way for your computers to know each other at home. Put an entry like "192.168.1.101 bob basement" so whenever you type "bob" or "basement", you will connect to .101. For example, type "FTP basement" to exchange files. Setting up a name server for anything under 100 computers is overkill in my opinion.

Tr3vor:
Cool, I found a wireless router that automatically configures IP addresses, I think its called DHCP or something like that... well i still had to manually configure the IP address of the win98 machine, but the dell and vista are automatically configured, sweet.

I'd be surprised if 98 doesn't implement DHCP it is absolutely standard, and needed by most people.

the problem now is that the internet sharing still doesn't work.

Put your router in the front and everybody will be happy. :)

* Fire up a computer and then try to FTP into it without knowing what address it came up as, makes the end result a bit like sneaker net. hehe

Back