• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pdp 11/45

Hi All;
Now to get together with MattisLind, and find out what to do next, and How to make the Logic Analyzer do its Thing.. I hope the pictures from a couple of posts ago would help Him determine where I am going Wrong, Or what to do next..
THANK YOU Marty

OK, Marty!

In the configuration menu select Timing mode. It is the default setting. Then press FORMAT button and navigate around to get familiar with this screen. The labels are marked "lab1" .. "labn". Navigate to one of those and just type in a new name with the alphanumeric keys. For example MSYN. Navigate to the right and press select to select which signals in which probe that is the connected to the MSYN signal. Attach all these signals to the actual hardware. Press TRIGGER button and get familiar with that menu. Set EDGE triggering as I described in earlier post. Hit the start button on the LA. The press deposit or exmine button on 11/45 frontpanel. Go on attach more and more signals to your LA so you understand what signals you have and what they look like. I suggest to attach a probe to the debosit / exmine buttons.

Goog Luck!

Hi All;
MattisLind, Thank You so very much and being so patient with me.. I will copy down exactly what You have posted and go from there, Hopefully that will get me going on the right Pathway.. I will be taking some more pictures as I find out the what and the How's, Hopefully that way You Won't have to go thru this with AnyOne else..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Well I don't actually know If it is working.. But, I think it is.. I press Run on the Logic Analyzer and the screen with the waveforms shows up.. Run, doesn't last very long, so I have tried to lengthen the time it takes between "shots" for the "Run Led" to be On.. I am for Now going to try and find some other signal that is Bouncing arround, so I can get something, anything to show up on the Logic Analyzer Screen, Just for beginning, Learning experience.. I will look first with my Scope for something to trigger on..
THANK YOU Marty

Marty,

You need to set up a trigger in the TRIGGER menu. The normal behavior if no trigger is set is that the LA will trigger directly when pressing the START button, it will then sample the inputs until its memory is full then it stops. So go into the trigger menu, setup a trigger on some signal. For example a deposit switch and then try again. It will then stay in the RUN until you hit the deposit switch.

Hi All;
MattisLind, OK, I will try that..
Question, Do I set (as for instance) bit 0 for trigger and then set bit 1 for MSYN ??
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
MattisLind, OK, I will try that..
Question, Do I set (as for instance) bit 0 for trigger and then set bit 1 for MSYN ??
THANK YOU Marty
Hi Marty,

I would start with this simple setup. In the FORMAT menu I set up two labels, DEP (DEPOSIT key) and then MSYN. Use Arrows and SELECT to set MSYN to use bit 0 and DEP to use bit 1 of the first pods you have. Attach those probes two the corresponding hardware signals. Press TRIGGER and the assign a EDGE triggered event, to DEP label. Press START and the press the DEP key on the front panel.

Hi All;
MattisLind, Thank You so very much and being so patient with me.. I will copy down exactly what You have posted and go from there, Hopefully that will get me going on the right Pathway.. I will be taking some more pictures as I find out the what and the How's, Hopefully that way You Won't have to go thru this with AnyOne else..
THANK YOU Marty

The manuals are still available under
http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-1...channel-portable-logic-analyzer?&cc=US&lc=eng

Hi All;
AL, Thank You for the link(s), I will look them over in a minute.. But, most of the time in the Past they are of little help to me, as they assume that I know what they are talking about or referring to ahead of time.. Which I don't, I am not tech Savy in alot of ways.. Just a dumb ass.. That is Why I ask someone like MattisLind to guide me thru the process.. Once I know enough to basically make it thru, then I can go and read the Manual, and it even make sense, But IF I try to read the manual first, then I am totally confused, as what they usually say doesn't make sense to me..
But, here are some more Pictures..
MattisLind, How do I make it display like Trig on line one and MSYN on line two ?? instead of Trig 1 on line one and Trig 2 on line two..

01252014970.jpg 01252014972.jpg

01252014973.jpg 01252014971.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Marty,

First of all, in the FORMAT menu a "." means not selected signal and "*" means selected signal. You have reversed it. Now all but bit 0 is in the label TRIG and all but bit 1 in label MSYN. In the TRIG menu now you should select either rising or falling or any edge, and probably it would e good to start with TRIG only, not MSYN. I don't remember what the dollar sign means in the TRIG menu, but it can be related to the wrong setting in FORMAT menu.

Good Luck!

Hi All;
MattisLind, Thank You, I would not have guessed..
Here is another Picture, Even though it is not right, at least I got something.. Thank You for straightening me out.. I will re-set thing up..

01252014974.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Press the WAVEFORM button instead of LIST button. And then use arrows to navigate down to the waveform area to add LABELS to show.

Good Luck!

Hi All;
MattisLind, I have had waveform pressed before, but it doesn't show MSYN.. And there is NO "add LABELS to show." That I can see, maybe I'm blind !!
Here is a picture..

01252014975.jpg 01252014976.jpg

01252014977.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
MattisLind, I have had waveform pressed before, but it doesn't show MSYN.. And there is NO "add LABELS to show." That I can see, maybe I'm blind !!
Here is a picture..
THANK YOU Marty
Yes press SELECT on INSERT item in the list. The select data bit 0 from the the label you choose.

Good Luck!

Hi All;
MattisLind, I got it about the Time You were entering your posting.. THANK YOU !!!
Now after I have a waveform displayed, How do I "Scroll Accross" the Waveform ?? I have trid the Arrows and the Knob, but nothing lets me enter the Wave portion of the Screen..

01252014978.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Don’t know if it would help or not but looks like the logic analyzer is beating up on you just about as bad as the 45, I found that I use a logic analyzer so infrequently that before I need to use one I will throw together a little circuit with a timer like a 555 driving a 74192 or any other counter and set up the analyzer using the timers signal driving the divider as external clock or trigger and the four outputs of the divider as separate channels or inputs to the analyzer, adamantly it’s a stupid exercise and maybe a insult to most peoples ability but it quickly reminds you how to set up the channels and use of the logic analyzer. My own experience is that you will spend a week getting the analyzer set up, two minutes doing the test and then another week trying to interpret the results of what you did. But maybe that’s just me.

Hi All;
QBus, I agree that setting up an Analyzer is something quite baffling.. Unless and until You have done it enough to make it second hand or at least somewhat comfortable..
""But maybe that’s just me."" Not at all, those of us that do this very little, I think are suffering from the same problem.. And I may well, have to do just that just to get myself acquainted with this Logic Analyzer.. Build a circuit..
But, I have had though very infrequently the MSYN signal bounce around and so or which tells me that at least at this point it is not stuck !! Which is alot of what I had wanted to know in the first place..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I GOT IT !!!
I can see the WaveForms, They look Great, since I haven't been able to look at them before.. Now to Add some more lines..
I had to fool around with SEC/DIV and change it from 2ns to 200ns and the DELAY from 0 delay to 978 on at least the current display..
Al, I looked at the Book, and it was like I thought, not a clue on "how" to set up and capture Waveforms.. Maybe its just me.. But, I could not make Hide nor Hare of what it said..
THANK YOU MattisLind !!!!!
Here is a Picture..

01252014979.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Marty,

You need to press down till you come to "Sec/div" field and the use the knob. Then arrows to the right to select the "Delay" field. Then use the knob.

Hi All;
MattisLind, I got it about the Time You were entering your posting.. THANK YOU !!!
Now after I have a waveform displayed, How do I "Scroll Accross" the Waveform ?? I have trid the Arrows and the Knob, but nothing lets me enter the Wave portion of the Screen..

View attachment 16991

THANK YOU Marty

Back