• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pdp 11/45

Hi All;
I GOT IT !!!
I can see the WaveForms, They look Great, since I haven't been able to look at them before.. Now to Add some more lines..
I had to fool around with SEC/DIV and change it from 2ns to 200ns and the DELAY from 0 delay to 978 on at least the current display..
Al, I looked at the Book, and it was like I thought, not a clue on "how" to set up and capture Waveforms.. Maybe its just me.. But, I could not make Hide nor Hare of what it said..
THANK YOU MattisLind !!!!!
Here is a Picture..

View attachment 16992

THANK YOU Marty

Marty,

I think you're getting it!

It looks excellent!

Good Luck!

Hi All;
Now that I can add line/traces to the Logic Analyzer.. The Hardest part is finding Where on the Circuit board is the gate that I want to trace.. Since I do NOT have a schematic for the M9312, but I do have the operators manual..

01252014981.jpg 01252014982.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

For what it's worth - Marty, I believe if you can persist on the path of using this tool - it will be worth the effort. That machine is pretty much the cream of the crop for it's time, and offers a great view.

I would suggest that you invest the time - even though at times it might seem like a detour. The help you have here is excellent, and they'll help you along.

The best approach is to do the up-front work to make sure it's easy for you to access the bus signals. This means customizing one of your cards (as you've begun to) so that it's clean and convenient for you. I found labeling to be very helpful too. Make notes as you go along. I found them invaluable for finding my own errors, and for permanent setup recollection - something I often need after time passes or when I want to share information.

Hope that helps you - getting organized and easy is half the battle.

Hi All;
Pbirkel, I got it.. And there is LOADS of information there.. THANK YOU Marty
You Wouldn't know about the M783 YA, would You ??
RSX11M, Yes, that is "WHY" I finally OverCame my fear of Logic Analyzer(s).. And Bit the bullet and looked like a complete fool, and made it thru the many mistakes.. And I am sure that there will be more, alot more..
Yes, documentation, both my own and what I have downloaded, is well worth the effort.. "" I would suggest that you invest the time - even though at times it might seem like a detour. The help you have here is excellent, and they'll help you along. "" I agree that the HelpFull People here have been Great and Very Patient with me.. I may not get this /45 going today, but it is alot farther along than the /40.. And it seems to be in healthier condition..
It Looks like from the Printed Waveforms in the M9312 Operators Manual, that I need to find Where and How, these two signals are coming from, One is UniBus Address True and the other is UniBus Data True.. So now for the search for these signals..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
AL, THANK YOU, I got it and then I backed up to the Unibus section and got the rest of the files for the M9312 and also for the M792 and I hope that it is close enough for me to use as a guide, Maybe the M792 is the Diode version and the M783 is the Prom version..
AnyWay Thanks AL for Your Help..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
AL, THANK YOU, I got it and then I backed up to the Unibus section and got the rest of the files for the M9312 and also for the M792 and I hope that it is close enough for me to use as a guide, Maybe the M792 is the Diode version and the M783 is the Prom version..
AnyWay Thanks AL for Your Help..
THANK YOU Marty
All this talk of logic analyzers make me wish I had one. What would be a good one? I used them
from time to time when I worked at Unisys, but that was long ago.

Hi All;
Tradde, All I can say is based on what I have had or used.. I would Think that either HP or Tektronics would and did make good Logic Analyzers.. And I am sure that there are many other good Brands..
But, it all depends on a number of things, One is being at the right place at the right time.. That is How I got mine, They were having a Pre-Christmas sale, and its already low price, was even lower.. The other is "what You are able to spend.." If it is not alot, Maybe one of these newer USB type of Logic Sticks would be good enough and that depends on -- How much you want to use it and What you want to use it for.. Hope This helps..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have taken out the Wood screws out of the top wooden shelf that the Logic Analyzer sits on, and replaced the wooden screws with bolts, washers, and plastic coated holding lock nuts..
I am going to put in slot 26 (the UniBus "A") an M7856, that I took out of my 11/04, since I am certain that it will not blow up when plugged into banks C-F.. Maybe that will help, having something on the A UniBus as far as I/O..
OK, Nothing Blew Up !!!!
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I am going to try, before digging in, to replace the Memory Boards, one at at time, then after trying another Board if it make "NO" difference return it to the original Board I have in there, thereby not putting in too many Variables as each Board is tested.. Then go and do the next Board, repeating the process, with each Board, and see If by doing that, that is by replacing one Board at a time, If It makes any difference on "How or What the /45 does".. If then there is NO difference, then I need to look ElseWhere..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
While looking at the Boards, I seen a Problem, that I hadn't noticed.. In the Timing slot of the Memory, I had put in a Timing Board for a 32K instead of a 16K Timing Board,, So after noticing that I pulled the Board, and Lo and Behold, it is Missing one Ic !!!!!
So, I will replace the timing board and set it up for Address "0"..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
NO More Address Error Led to come on.. I can now do an Examine, and a Deposit, will advance, but as near as I can tell, it is NOT Depositing..
So, I will still try and do some more Board Substituting..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I GOT DEPOSIT !!!!!
I replaced the G114 Board..
Bit 7 still seems to be a bit troublesome, So I will need to look at it..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Well, I think I got bit 7 to work OK, I wired the switch connections up, thereby making sure that Vibration from my use didn't or wouldn't disturb the connection..
Now while doing that and researching the bit 7 thing, I found the after Memory Location 177 instead of going to 200, it goes back to zero, and not to 200.. When I unplugged the power from the Memory and used the CONTinue switch, it would go past 177 and go to 200 and past that point.. Now I can't say for sure that it is Memory, but I need to still go thru the rest of my G114 Boards as well as my G235 Boards, and see if by doing this, It will fix this problem.. Otherwise I need to find "WHY" it is not continuing in its count.. I suppect either a short or a Bad IC.. DUH !!!
I have Four sets of these kind of Memory Modules..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have tried all of the G114 Boards and now two of the G235 Boards, and it still does the same thing.. Now I have two more G235 Boards to go, but I suspect it will make no Difference.. I will then repair the Timing Board for the 32K Memory Stack, and will try it.. Then depending on what the machine does then, will determine where I go next.. If the 32K stack works, then for now I will leave it alone.. and see what if any problem crops up next.. If it still has that problem, then I have an addressing error somewhere else in the system..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Tradde, All I can say is based on what I have had or used.. I would Think that either HP or Tektronics would and did make good Logic Analyzers.. And I am sure that there are many other good Brands..
But, it all depends on a number of things, One is being at the right place at the right time.. That is How I got mine, They were having a Pre-Christmas sale, and its already low price, was even lower.. The other is "what You are able to spend.." If it is not alot, Maybe one of these newer USB type of Logic Sticks would be good enough and that depends on -- How much you want to use it and What you want to use it for.. Hope This helps..
THANK YOU Marty
I am watching a few on eBay in the mid to high $300s. What seems like a reasonable price? There
is a large swap meet coming up in Maryland. Not sure if they will have any there or if they might try to sell for more. I don't
know of any local surplus places near me.

Hi All;
Tradde, that is the price that I would have had to Pay for mine, had they not had their sale.. So, from what I have seen that is in the price range that I see locally..
On another note, it will be a while before I can install and use the 32K memory Board.. A number of traces have lifted off, so I need to repair them, on this board, it seem like the traces are all either very thin or some reason they are peeling off of the back of this Board.. See pictures.. It will NOT let me upload any Pictures !!!

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I just had a Thought, I will put in my SJB Board and take out my SAP and my SSR Board, and see IF I still have that same Problem..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Well, I just tried my SJB Board, and it goes to 000077 before it goes back to "Zero".. So, I need to first check my Universal Board for missing or ripped wires or wires in the wrong place.. Especially bits 5, 6, and 7.. Before making any further judgement..
I have found some shorts and a broken wire.. I am working on getting that fixed..
THANK YOU marty

Last edited:
Back