• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone Selling XT-IDE Cards?

What happens if you do a FORMAT D: or FORMAT E: or FORMAT F:? Perhaps DOS thinks you've got 4 floppy drives.

It worked. format d: was the magic command. I looked at the dip switch on the motherboard. It was set to 3 floppy drives.
EDIT: Setting it back to 2 floppies fixed booting. I think it was set to 3 floppies when I experimented with a 1.44 and external cable.

Last edited:
I ship the XT-IDE Universal BIOS 1.1.5 with assembled boards, since the 2.x series is still listed as beta.
Glitch,
So You are using "Compatibility" mode? The "Chuck Mod" isn't supported 'til 2.x. Do you think it's more stable without the "Chuck Mod"?

Glitch,
So You are using "Compatibility" mode? The "Chuck Mod" isn't supported 'til 2.x. Do you think it's more stable without the "Chuck Mod"?

I don't think that makes a bit of difference for fully IBM PC compatible users. See previous entries in this thread for why it's not a universal solution (that's why I kept the jumpers). AFAIK it's a works/doesn't work matter with the incompatible units.

As mentioned, I'm running a modified Hargle BIOS on my Chuck Mod rev 1 card. That seems to be stable. The only reason I'm still shipping 1.1.5 is simply because 2.x is listed as beta. I figure, if the devs aren't willing to call it out-of-beta, then I'm not willing to ship to to people who expect a card to "just work" when they plug it in. I will probably switch to the 2.x series as soon as someone's willing to call it out-of-beta. I doubt there's any real issues with it, a lot of folks seem to be using it, but remember *I* get the angry emails when someone pays for an assembled board and it doesn't work :)

I'll add a bit here. The "Chuck mod" generally works when the host CPU is an 8088 or V20 (i.e. a CPU with an 8-bit bus interface).
Its operation depends upon the functioning of the 8088/V20 BIU. If you've got an 8086/V30/80286 CPU, then it's a roll of the dice--it all depends on how carefully the designers of your board decided to emulate the 8088 BIU.

Most have it wrong--the Olivetti M24/ATT 6300, for example, does split a 16-bit read/write into two 8 bit ones, but gets the order wrong. I don't know about the Tandy 1000 286 systems, but I suspect they've also got it wrong.

I'll add a bit here. The "Chuck mod" generally works when the host CPU is an 8088 or V20 (i.e. a CPU with an 8-bit bus interface).
Its operation depends upon the functioning of the 8088/V20 BIU. If you've got an 8086/V30/80286 CPU, then it's a roll of the dice--it all depends on how carefully the designers of your board decided to emulate the 8088 BIU.

Most have it wrong--the Olivetti M24/ATT 6300, for example, does split a 16-bit read/write into two 8 bit ones, but gets the order wrong. I don't know about the Tandy 1000 286 systems, but I suspect they've also got it wrong.
So, as mentioned earlier, I currently am using it in an IBM XT/286 5162. Do you think the "Chuck Mod" will work properly in this system? Eventually, it's going in my 5155. Pretty sure it won't be an issue there. I just want to make sure it's rock solid. I never did get my rev 1 board to work reliably.

I can't say, as I don't have my hands on a 5162, so you'll just have to try it. Really, why anyone would want to use an XTIDE on a machine with 16-bit slots is a bit of a mystery to me. Is it just for the BIOS? A 16-bit 0WS IDE controller should be able to outrun an XTIDE easily.

...Really, why anyone would want to use an XTIDE on a machine with 16-bit slots is a bit of a mystery to me. Is it just for the BIOS? A 16-bit 0WS IDE controller should be able to outrun an XTIDE easily.
The 5162 only has 5 16 bit slots. -1 has video card -2 has NIC -3 has Memory Board -4 has Sound blaster 16 -5 has original MFM HDD / FDD controller. That leaves only 8 bit slots. Besides, I'm only playing with it in the 5162. Eventually it'll go in my 5155. I guess I should put it in there and then look for the best BIOS setup.

Yes, but I find it strangely gratifying to use the original 20MB MFM disk to boot. It has zero defects according to spinrite and the sound it makes is really cool. Brings me back to my 20's, helping my Mom figure out Her 5160. This 5162 is a recent purchase that Trixter pointed me to. It is really an amazing find. Apart from the dead battery, it is in perfect condition and for some reason, I can't stand the idea of De-comissioning the original HDD and Controller.

AFAIK the '6300 is the only machine confirmed to have this issue.

Some Tandy 1000s came with 8086 CPUs (SL, SL/2, RL), some with 80286 CPUs (TL, TL/2, TL/3, RLX) and all except the RSX come with an 8-bit slot. I do not recall anyone complaining about any issues with the Chuck mod.

FINAL NOTICE: I've sent out emails to the last four people who haven't gotten in touch with me about their preorder. If I haven't heard from you by close of business tomorrow (2016-07-13 1900 UTC) your preorder will be cancelled.

If any of those go unclaimed, I'm considering buying one more kit. Are those Kits or assembled units that are unclaimed?

If any of those go unclaimed, I'm considering buying one more kit. Are those Kits or assembled units that are unclaimed?

I have *plenty* of boards and parts kits. I have some assembled units, but I just assemble more as needed. This is going to be a "stock item" for me -- I'm planning on keeping boards and/or parts kits available for several projects.

General availability will start on Thursday morning. I'll post more information on how to place your orders then. I may not have my online order system finished by then, so it may be, "send an email to this address with what you want and I'll get you a total." Trying to avoid putting them on eBay, as I'll have to charge the eBay fees into the item's cost.

I've got another batch from the glitch's gerbers by Sitopway. Thank you, glitch! Great design!

It's HASL not ENIG, just a reflection. These boards are not for sale, just for me and my friends...
It costs me about 6$ each.

I ordered also a bunch of brackets at local laser metal cutting service.

(for XT-IDE V3, XT-IDE V2 and CF-Lite)
It costs me about 0.4$ each w/o coating and screw-thread.

Very nice! Looks like Sitopway does a fine job making boards! Are the edge connectors gold plated, or is that also part of the reflection?

Those green pcb`s looks very nice!! And i hope the brackets having the same thickness like the original stuff and are really stiff..

Yes those ISA fingers are gold plated as well, that very good for the endurance on longer time.. Tin fingers will worn out much easily.

Will does brackets been pre-bend before selling / shipping?

I also would recommend to get off those sharp corners on the ISA connector .. So the board would pop-in in an ISA slot much easier.

How much would a bracket cost to produce with coating? (this coating is this some kind of paint, or a protection layer against rust?)

But it will be good if those brackets are protected against rust for longer durance.. This would add more quality to this nice product.

I hope someone can get this same kind of stuff on the same factory..

Last edited:
But it will be good if those brackets are protected against rust for longer durance.. This would add more quality to this nice product.

You did read the bit about how they're for him and his friends only, and not for sale, right?

Back