• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's the rarest thing you have/had? How much is it worth?

Codeware said:
True, I don't think it's "rare" -- necessarily.

I want the computers they threw together to make Ron Cobb's "Nostromo Interior" designs in ALIEN (1979). There's that one keyboard, in the "Mother Console," it's got completely useless characters on every key, in red and green. Lovely.
Heh, speaking of movie computers, I almost bought a T-shirt the other day, which (wrongly) identified David Lightman's computer as a TRS-80 Model I. Have you seen those? They come up every once in a while on eBay.
Oh, P.S. -- I might be selling my collection soon. You want the Portfolio? What would be a competitve price? I think I got it for 25.
Well, if you could sell it for that, you have a buyer. ($25-30 is about my limit).
[edit: is your forum name in any way an allusion to Larry Yeager, researcher of neural networks and hypercube computing?]
That's funny, you're the first who has asked me that. Usually I hear "Are you related to Chuck Yeager, the fastest man alive?" Actually, I've never heard of Larry Yeager, but I'll certainly google him up here directly.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> I dunno if the Atari Portfolio is rare, but they sure are
> popular. Every time I bid on one on eBay, the price
> quickly shoots up out of my price range.

IMO machines like is can't be rare, cause they even sold
them here & I could of even got one, if it wasn't for
typewriter head! ;-)

Out of a magazine which were reviewing these tiny
machines, this would be the one which comes to mind all
the time, the others, well I'd say would be rarer! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Heh, speaking of movie computers, I almost bought a
> T-shirt the other day, which (wrongly) identified David
> Lightman's computer as a TRS-80 Model I. Have you
> seen those? They come up every once in a while on
> eBay.

That's the one which looks like a Model II, isn't it?

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Codeware" wrote:

> My personal favorite is "Terminator 2's technology" --
> which is another obsession of mine.

Geez, that's all Terminator 2 is all about that darn Atari! ;-)

Nobody cares about the IBM (386 or 486 perhaps) which
gets shot to pieces! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Hmmmn, Firesign Theater, eh? (I thought I was the
> only fan they have left).

To a point I am. Depends on the movie, modern movies
to me are worse, I can put up with T2.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Rarest PC

Rarest PC

I have in my collection of over 700 computers a Scelbi-8H complete with documentation. This is reportedly one of only 200 shipped. Scelbi was the first advertised PC in the PC marketplace.

A Tyan Tiger II demo motherboard (P54C, Socket 7), of only which 200-300 were made, as told to me from an e-mail from a Tyan marketing executive when I asked for a manual or info about a board which I couldn't find any info for on the Internet.

Unfortunately, it had a damaged IDE controller on it, so I ended up throwing it out. However when I was using it when it was working, I found it was quite fast for a Pentium 150 system. I've used a P150 in other mobos, yet they were as never as fast as that Tyan, and I can't figure out why.

Super-Slasher said:
A Tyan Tiger II demo motherboard (P54C, Socket 7), of only which 200-300 were made, as told to me from an e-mail from a Tyan marketing executive when I asked for a manual or info about a board which I couldn't find any info for on the Internet.

Unfortunately, it had a damaged IDE controller on it, so I ended up throwing it out. However when I was using it when it was working, I found it was quite fast for a Pentium 150 system. I've used a P150 in other mobos, yet they were as never as fast as that Tyan, and I can't figure out why.

Maybe faster cache or more of it

Hey,
Its been a while since I've been here cause of my school work, but I'm back!

Anywho, the rarest thing I ever had was a copy of ZORK I for the TRS 80... it sells for around 500 bucks on eBay now, because it was a ziplock bagger game in the early 80's, and well, its pretty hard to find. Its SO hard to find that even I can't find it. It might of been lost when my parents moved. They did scrap the TRS-80 when the tube died in the early '90s, but they didn't throw away the software. DON'T ask me why. But my dad swears he had it and played it, and beat it... well, of course he beat it. BTW, does anyone else play Zork out there?

This baby is rare

This baby is rare

I am not sure how many there are out there but I have a Scelbi-8H with all docs and manuals. I understand only 200 were made in 1973-74 then the head designer died of a heart attack in teh late 70's. Some call the Scelbi-8H the first advertised PC computer. Uses Intel 8008 cpu. Anyone care to guess what this baby is worth???????
For more info see my site at www.thepcmuseum.net.
Dave Freeman

The rarest peice of computer equipment I own is my Transwarp GS card it is probably worth about $250-$300 dollars right now.

What I really want is a HighSpeed SCSI card for my Apple IIGS, preferably a Ramfast SCSI card...

I'm not sure of the value of these but I have them:

NEC round lid 8080 (non A) cpu.

Early white ceramic 8080 marked ES.

Altair 8800 (non A) sn200 I bought in 1974 and assembled in jan 75.

NS*horizon 1978 built by me.

H11 backplane, CPU, memory and serial cards

LSI-11 core (x2) working.

DEC Advice a Microvax-II in circuit emulator board

NEC evakit 8400, 8048/9 in circut and eprom programming
system

Just a few odd items that come to mind.

Allison

Things of value I own or have owned, etc.

Things of value I own or have owned, etc.

Well, of course the most valuable thing I have owned was my Apple 1, and I won't tell you how much I got for it, but I will tell you
Sallem's commission on the sale was $1500,00, and that did not put a very big dent in te gross.

The rest of the stufff I will list here is interesting because I gpt ot all at no cost to me, from two people that bought it all from me in thr first place. You can't beat that price with a stick. :lol: I sold a complete SOL=20 system to a gentleman who was very crippled with artheritis. His plan was to write a series of tech manuals describing all of the escape sequences amd switch settings etc/ for every printer of the market. (He self-published three of them befoe his death in 1983, and his wife gave me a set when she gave me the computer) It had dual Micropolis disc drives, with aa Vector Graphcs Micropolis disk controlleer, and three stati memory boards. The compute was sold with a product whose name escapes me , but was the only modified IBM Correcting Selectric to ever be accepted by IBM foor their field service support. I still have it ifanyone is interested in a truly rare vintage peripheral from about 1978 or 79. It is like new, having ben used for only a short time befre the customer changed from the SOL-30 to an Apple II+ and a CIOTH 8510 printer. So the Selectric is like new, with maybe 2500 to 5000 characters typed on it.
At the same time as she gave me the SOL-20 she also gave me the Apple II+ which they had prchased from me. I still have it, too.
Now, about ten years ago I got a call from the wife of a GP family doctor who was alsso a friend and customer. She said that the doctor was retiring and the were movig to Michigan, and when she asked him what to do with the computers he told her to give them back to me if I wanted them, otherwise take tem to the recycle center. She called me and I, of course, grabbed them immediately. What I got was threee Osborne 1's with all upgrades installed, double densit disk drives, 80 column ddisplay options and monitors to go with them, two Osborne modems, a hard disk (10 meg. I think) all kinds of spare cables, a spare keyboard and one set of docs. She gave me severa; loose leaf binders aand a ton of other stuff including two sets of FOG library disks (about 1000 total.

I don't think anyone can beat those deals. I sold them bth all that equipment and suplies, at my usual miserable profit, and then got it all back free! Not bad for poor kud from "Lake Woebegone, Minnesota"!

Ray

I can believe ya, cause I'm one of "those people" I've been known to buy the same item from the same person 2 or 3 times over. My computer storage ability was in a state of flux for several years, due to several untimely moves. I'd give away computers to people when I had no place to store them, then later on, buy (or swap) them back when I had the space. I'm currently negotiating a deal with the guy I gave all my C= stuff to, for an SX-64. I never actually owned that particular machine, but he sure did make a haul when he carried of my C= collection, so hopefully he'll take that into consideration, and not rape me too badly on the SX.

--T

Regarding my earlier post...

I now have in my grubby little (okay, not so little) hands one each

NEC PC-8201 RED and
NEC PC-8201 SILVER!!!!!

They are so beeeyootifull!

If my current job (Recruiter-In-Charge of a Navy Recruting Station in Cleburne, TX) will allow me a little time I will get my web page posted under my new provider and show the dynamic duo off!

Terry Yager said:
I can believe ya, cause I'm one of "those people" I've been known to buy the same item from the same person 2 or 3 times over. My computer storage ability was in a state of flux for several years, due to several untimely moves. I'd give away computers to people when I had no place to store them, then later on, buy (or swap) them back when I had the space. I'm currently negotiating a deal with the guy I gave all my C= stuff to, for an SX-64. I never actually owned that particular machine, but he sure did make a haul when he carried of my C= collection, so hopefully he'll take that into consideration, and not rape me too badly on the SX.

--T

I guess you are lucky and the people you sold items too didn't resell on eBay.

Back