• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

inhareted colegtion

1ajs

Experienced Member
i inharted my dads coletion of computers he has built up over the years that he used right up till 1992

a heathkit h89
a 32bit dual 16 bit cpu ad on card for the h89 made by digital

modicom the programible controler company heathkit h11 digital computer also says digital ls-11 on it

heathkit h10 paper tape system complete with exstra paper strips ect

the h77

all manuals for these and good coletion of software

raimbow 100 that was won as a door prize at a computer convention in la that my dad met all the guys who programed galiao.

osborn 1

ge workmaster is all toren apart, ge series six plc

coletion of software for all the computers coletion of realy old games

coletion of 186's and 286's also some 386's and of cores the 486 all the way for to the 486 dx 100

2 ibm 755cd laptops

coetion of 2 huge size and wight 1.53 gb hard drives they fit scusi but there is another cable conetor that is smaller then a flopy not sure if they are scusi or some other fortmat scared to hook them up the copy right on them says at:

1987 micropolis; pats pending

holy crap i just relized that there from 87

also has sticors from compaq on them

any one know w card i need to use them? and how much they were worth back in the day for curosity sake?
baught them back when a used 1 gig to 5gig still set ya back 80$ for 5$ same size as 2 5 1/4 drives ontop of eachother

2 mfm drives 1 20 mb and the other i think is 30 mb 3 controler cards and cables all working got them for 5$ each

umm bunch of old 100 to 800 mb drives coletion of p1 p11 bords with cyrex amd and intel chips.

there is some thing i prpbly forgot to mention lol i will have a look around se w els i got laying around

I can be pretty anal about spelling and grammar myself, but I don't think it really matters in this environment as long as we can understand each other. . .

E

Nonsense. I do put up with bad spelling and grammar even in many newspapers and magazines. I cringe however at some of the lack of even basic writing or spelling abilities in many of this era. There are communication rules related to non-verbal rules and they have been established so that the flow of ideas can be transferred without ambiguity.

It speaks volumes about the present state of education when even many of the supposedly educated have to resort to "spell-checkers".

This attitude that as long as the ideas are transmitted it is acceptable has resulted in possibly the majority of our youth unable to transmit even the most basic ideas without injecting "you know" or "you understand".

It is the precursor of the British "public school" class system where language determined whether you were worthy to enter the better jobs of the upper classes.

It is similar to the slave dialects which so served to differentiate the worthy and "educated" from those who were relegated to menial jobs.

Acceptance of this I.T. blight is a plunge to the depths of class differentiation based on language. We, as computer and language professionals should not succumb to the Z illiterates. There should be some responsability. And no, I'm not advocating ridiculing those who figure it's "cool" to mangle the language.

Lawrence

Erik said:
I can be pretty anal about spelling and grammar myself, but I don't think it really matters in this environment as long as we can understand each other. . .

E

Ha! It's funny because I was digging thru some old stuff the other day, and came across a carbon copy of a letter I had sent to my son's school a few years ago, in response to a letter they had sent me, threatening to take me to court for not sending my children to school on a day when the temperature was 16-below zero, but they didn't close the school:

Terry Yager said:
To whom etc;

This letter is in response to a letter dated January 26. On the days mentioned, ******* was at home, staying warm and dry, as would anyone with any common sense on the coldest day of the century. That the person charged with the responsibility of scheduling foul-weather days seems to be lacking this quality is evident. When the National Weather Service warns of "dangerous cold," and advises to venture out only if absolutely necessary, as a parent, I must take heed. If this does not constitute a "legitimate reason," then I will take my chances with the court. Your poorly spelled and grammatically incorrect letter might have been more effective if used to threaten someone more easily intimidated. I, myself, was not impressed. Perhaps the people who are supposed to be educating my children should spend some time educating themselves.

Sincerely,
etc.

That always was one of my favorite pisser-offers, getting letters from the school that were poorly spelled and badly constructed. No wonder there's no hope for the next generation, with "educators" like that. It would be bad enough if the letters were all originals, but what I'm talking about are computer-generated form letters, that I kept seeing over and over again, even after pointing out the errors to the school authorities. They just never even bothered to fix them, in spite of my numerous complaints.

--T

Kaptain Skitzo said:
Lighten up guys....the dude is obviously not fluent in English....given his location(Canada), he could be very well be just learning it. Cut him some slack.
As long as you can understand it....help him out.

My comments were not so much directed at the writer who is possibly very young or disadvantaged in some way, but at a growing trend of many in the IT community who feel it is okay not to have a grasp of the language. An overflow from the chat or warez community who were considered "cool".

I spent my teens in Winterpeg(Winnipeg) and have now retired back to Manitoba after spending most of my time in US and Canadian cities.
Only in Quebec is there a non-english educational system. Believe it or not we feel our educational system is superior to that in the US. However
common to North American culture, language fluency is declining.

L.

My rant was not really directed at the poster, it was meant for the American Public Educational Institution. I'm not the world's greatest speller either, but I do expect something better from my children's educators. My daughter is forced to take remedial "pre-math" classes to fill in the gaps left by her public high school. That colleges feel a need to even offer such classes speaks volumes.

--T

I can say that the American public schools are so bad, they don't teach elementary mathmatics any more. I've seen high school kids not be able to figure out in their head that a $2.99 item, with a raincheck for a price of $1.00, equalls $1.99 off of that item. I have also been witness to these same kids not be able to count out change without a machine telling them how much it should be.

Back in my time, if you had a calculator in class, you were CHEATING!

My ex-wife used to manage several stores, and that was her constant complaint. She could not hire help who could even make change. (Math isn't my long suit either, but when it comes to my money, I'm right on top of things).

--T

How about someone tries to clean up 1ajs' message?

We know that he inherited a collection from his dad, including:

Heathkit H89 with a 32-bit dual 16-bit CPU add-on card from digital.
Heathkit H11 (digital LS-11) modicom programmable controller.
Heathkit H10 paper tape (storage device?) with extra paper strips.
(Heathkit?) H77 plus manuals and a good deal of software for those.

DEC Rainbow 100, originally won at a computer convention in L.A.
Osborne 1. GE Workmaster in parts, series six.
Collection of software, in particular really old games for all the mentioned computers.

Collection of 186's, 286's, some 386's and cores (CPUs?) for 486 up to 486DX/4-100, as well as Pentium 1 and Pentium II boards with Cyrix and Intel chips.

Two IBM 755CD laptops.

Two huge, full-height (5.25") 1.53 GB hard drives, Micropolis/Compaq 1987, acquired many years ago. How much did a such disk cost new? They have a connector smaller than a floppy, supposedly SCSI but not sure. Not connected due to uncertainity. Need help with finding a controller card.

(Ed: would that be something along SMD or Eagle disks?)

2 MFM drives, 20 and 30 MB. 3 controller cards cables, got them for 5$ each. Also a bunch of old 100 to 800 MB drives.

He will also look around if there are more items laying around worth mentioning.

5483070639_03c264aa29_b.jpg

cardsa.jpg

Pretty system - I like the case, especially.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that pre-90s circuitry + sheets can = dead circuitry, so be careful.

My ex-wife used to manage several stores, and that was her constant complaint. She could not hire help who could even make change.
Having worked as a Math Lab tutor when I was a piss-poor college punk (20 years ago) there were people coming in for help that could not handle basic fraction arithmetic. I fear for the future of this country...

Back