• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Showing off at school

I used to keep the minutes from the weekly meetings of our Oversight Committee, overseeing a state-funded non-profit agency. I'd take notes in longhand on a yellow legal pad, then later type them up at home on a Tandy 102 (32K, cassette tape), and finally print them out on a NEC SpinWriter (Daisy-Wheel, 30 c.p.s.).

--T

I have recievd, diagnosed and treated the laptop. Its on-board cd-rom was bad, and I guess that it killed the hdd that came with it. So I ditched it and since it was a pop-out I just left the fdd in. Now after making sure all the drivers are good, w95 is running perfectly on it.

TIP: When you get the right driver for the screen, ADJUST THE RESOLUTION! Otherwise you'll keep the black border around the screen and it'll fool you into thinking the driver is not right.

Now I have to get the 32mb ram card and figure out some way to make it read a burned cd. Amd the wireless card from that company. The stock cd-rom won't cut it, so I'm gonna see if I can get my friend Stephen to send me my backpack from a long time ago. Does anyone know if the stock cd-rom is able to see burned cd's?????? Is there a new driver that I'm not aware of?

At a meeting at work here once we were told to bring our laptops. Imagine everyone's surprise when I lugged in my SX64. I even took notes on it throughout the meeting!

As for the computer/drive swap, one trick I've used it after loading Win(whatever) on a hard drive and swapping it into a new machine, boot into safe mode the first time, go into device manager and delete EVERYTHING. This'll also cause havok upon next boot, but at least you won't end up with two of everything in there. Have drivers (on floppies) handy.

Flack said:
At a meeting at work here once we were told to bring our laptops. Imagine everyone's surprise when I lugged in my SX64. I even took notes on it throughout the meeting!

As for the computer/drive swap, one trick I've used it after loading Win(whatever) on a hard drive and swapping it into a new machine, boot into safe mode the first time, go into device manager and delete EVERYTHING. This'll also cause havok upon next boot, but at least you won't end up with two of everything in there. Have drivers (on floppies) handy.

Heh, I think I've mentioned in these forums before, that I used to have to lug my Kaypro II to my computer classes, to prove that I'd done the homework assignments. (I didn't have an IBM-compat at the time). Of course, if I were taking the same class today, I'd probably take my SDK-85 to class to demo 8080 A/L for the teacher.

--T

YES!
I had a good night of tipping and was able to scrape together enough to get the parts. I upgraded some, went form the 420CDS to a 460CDT, 66 more mhz and a max ram of 160mb. I'm going with 96 mb tho. Got a LARGE 20g hdd and getting an obsolete HomeRF network for $28 (the WHOLE network, including a router). That's just for here, I'll still have to get a b/g card for it or some kind of usb thing. The parts should start trickling in in about three days or so.

Could anyone shed some light on these guys?

file:///E:/zmystuff2A/network%20hw/Centrix%20Intl%20-%20Excess%20Computer%20Components.htm

I found these network cards and would like some professional thoughts on it. I'm getting three of the items, so I'll have notes of my own to comapre to. I think it's a dead idea by now though based on my reading. They got sued and basically told not to make these anymore. Neat concept though, the wireless that's not 802.11b/g based.

You'll have to put that web page (and the pictures) on a web server. We're not able to access your local hard drive over Internet, at least not using that addressing... :p

Hey, great link. I've got a bunch of those RangeLan 2 PCMCIA cards, but never used 'em, cauze I don't have an access point. I gave a few of them to my friend, and he managed to find an AP on eBay, and he loves his, says they work great. He uses them in Windows CE devices, cauze CE comes with drivers for 'em built in.

So has the Symbol Technologies lawsuit been settled already?

--T

I didn't finish the articles so I can only assume that since the cards are so cheap compared to the prices as new that they were discontinued cause of the lawsuit. And so I get to reap the carrion so to speak. But I never did finsih the articles that I skimmed. I get bored with that kind of stuff.

NathanAllan said:
I didn't finish the articles so I can only assume that since the cards are so cheap compared to the prices as new that they were discontinued cause of the lawsuit. And so I get to reap the carrion so to speak. But I never did finsih the articles that I skimmed. I get bored with that kind of stuff.

Well, all I know is that I got 10 of 'em for a dollar on eBay. I gave some of 'em for my friend, Mark, but I still have a few, just-in-case...

--T

A new question for the particular laptop, the 460CDS. The power adapter that came with it is 15v@3A max. I have a 16.5v@2.6A supply that I was planning on using with a diode to drop the voltage(.9v) to 15.4. I am hoping that it'll work, what are your thoughts? The "max" part is what I'm thinking about. Will this ps cut it? Does the laptop draw that much power??

Also, I'm gonna have to set up the os using a burned cd. Does anyone know if the stock cd-rom that comes with it will read burns? And if not, I'm gonna start wrestling with dos usb drivers just to get the os set up. How to get windows onto the hdd? Even if on a partition?

If you use a CD-R on LOW SPEED it should read it fine. Thats how they produce CD's to begin with. its CD-RW's that older stuff has fits with. My Thinkpad 380ED can do CD-R's but not CD-RW's. Powerwise whats wrong with using it's original PS? Usually they have those ratings set for reasons, like the Cold Cathode Lamps in the LCD panel may require a certain voltage, trust me, those things are VERY touchy when it come to voltage, Although, I have only blown one up, (not pretty) They can ruin the LCD panel if they do. Just be careful, even slightly higher voltages can do some really strange things. I have seen laptop PS ratings really high, my brothers girlfriend's ThinkPad (newer I forget the model T something or other) wanted something like 20V and 10-13 amps. Thats higher than my New Toshiba.

Anyway burn using a CD-R on like 3 or 4x and it should be fine.

-Vlad

I got the burn to boot, so all is well there. About the power supply, I wasn't wanting to buy anythign else but I guess I will since it's pretty cheap (less than $15usd in most cases) on ebay. And easier too since the ps would eventually die from it being maxed out all the time while I work on it. For now I am draining one battery, swapping it with the charged one in the other laptop (they're the same, bonus) and swapping back and forth. Right now I'm installing, so the screen can be down for most of it and I just check it.

The networking stuff came in too. It's 802.11a, old proxim HomeRF stuff and it's superneat and super cheap. $15 for three comps to include the router. Cool :D

I'll post again later when it gets going.

you could have some serious trouble one time i pulled a 45gb hdd out of a dead 900mhz athlon and put it in a 1.8ghz athlon. win98 threw a hissy firt and crashed. i ended up wipeing the hard disk and installing win2k on it. since win98 and 2k are similar theres a chance it will react the same.

Zmatt said:
since win98 and 2k are similar theres a chance it will react the same.

What? Windows 98 and 98SE are based on the old Win32 Kernel. Windows 2000 Professional is based on the NT kernel. The base systems are opposites. They look a LITTLE alike, other wise they are completely different. Some drivers are different too.

When you change a major hardware device, like a System Board or Processor, its recommended that you reset the HAL. That's why it "threw a fit" on you. You must reset the HAL if you move a hard drive from one computer to another if it holds the Operating System.

NOTE: HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer if you didn't know.....

-Vlad

what? win98 is based on the nt kernel what are you talking about. and i would've reset the hal if it wasn't for the fact that it kept giving me error messages and subsequently crashed! and i couldn't use the donor system because like i said it was fried. A history lesson win95 was the last version of windows that was built on top of DOS up until win98 and winNT the windows GUI although considered as an OS was simply just a graphic interface ontop of DOS. when win98 came out that was done away with and made some serious changes to the windows platform including inhanced source protection so the code couldn't be analyzed after it was run through a decompilier.

Your Joking right?

Also Try this http://www.dictionary.com/ It helps with spelling things correctly.....

Win 98 is based on DOS, Just like 95 was. The only Windows Os's that are based on the NT kernel are NT it self, the 2k series, ME, the XP's, and Server 2003. The rest were based on DOS and Win32. Also you only need an Install CD to reset the HAL, you can't do it from inside the OS.

Try knowing what you are talking about before arguing.......

Umm, zmatt, win98se is based on dos, vlad's right. In your defense though, MS wanted everyone to think that the two were interchangable, iirc. But in fact, 98 is based on dos.

I didn't pull a drive from an old system, it was formatted (badly) before I bought it. I had to format it again anyway and win2k installed perfectly if slowly. The only problem I had with installing is the battery kept running out and I had to keep swapping :) with the other laptop, heh heh. Pain in the butt, I'll tell ya what. A 2hr battery is seriously reduced whtn you've got both the cd and hdd running at the same time (mostly). Power supply is in the mail. But windows did install, and it was *before* I put in the extra ram, so it was put in with 32mb of ram (reason so slow).

The problem I am havng now is the firewall keeps locking the system up. It's just too much with all the internal processes for the 166 to keep up with. I intend to get win2000lite from pclite.com. I'll give it a shot first, and go from there. Pretty sure it'll help tho. Strip the extra junk outta windows that I'll never use. And since it's for school and not gaming (at least not new games, I'm sure it'll run XvT) it'll work fine.

Back