• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Showing off at school

Hey, if you do set up a web server, you might need this,

http://www.no-ip.com/

Its a static DNS for your dynamic IP

TRANSLATION: Your IP addrsss usually changes every few days, so these people give you a URL and you download a client to your server (windows only I think,) and every time someone goes to your URL, it automatically sends them to your computer. I used on my server for Port 80 redirection. (Port 80 = HTTP) It may be of some use to you, but be warned, I used IIS not third party software. as far as I can remember, IIS comes with the Server versions and XP Pro. But the connections in XP are limited. (I think)

Hope this helps you,

-Vlad

I was looking for something different as far as the webserver, and it didn't work for me. The computer was still not talking to the router. So the router's packed up and in the closet for now. I think the computer'll run better if it had the pcmcia adapter, as the USB one sucks. Oh well.

I am giving XPLite a try on this laptop. So far, most of the cool stuff is in the pro version, I have the trial. So it's pretty limited as far as things you can turn off.

Another update is that this P166 is being put to the real test as a desktop replacement. HAL's main drive is failing so I took it offline for a while so I can ge a new one in there. So far, this thing has handles everything but WinRar at it. I don't use that too much, though. It keeps telling me that the paging file will be increased(one of the things you can't turn off with the trial) and I just want it to do it and not tell me. I'll get more ram someday. As far as getting online, making papers of any sort (powerpoint and word) but my school cd's require more ram, so I'll upgrade first. No way around that.

So it's working good.

Nathan,

You say your drive is failing? Can you use a matched pair of 1Gb SCSI drives? I'll contribute them for shipping cost, if you can use 'em. They're brand-new, IBM, one is still sealed in original packaging, and the other one, I opened just for visual inspection. These would be suitable for a redundant system (RAID 2?).

--T

I don't have scsi on it, but thanks for the offer. I intend to go to the local place and get a 40gb (the smallest thing you can get anymore) for $45. Not bad for a store. Comes with a guarantee even, from the manufacturer. My friend Jason tipped me off that I can use partition magic to copy the partition with all data from one drive to the other and adjust the max size. That's pretty neat, and am gonna give it a try.

I have just gotten a motherboard and have th rest of the parts save for a hdd to build another machine. Nice board, with raid and all kinds of the things that I'm looking for. I don't really know what I'll do with that yet, it might end up being pure Linux.

Speaking of Linux, but are hardware modems scarce or what? My friend Joe hunted for a hw modem for over a year (that didn't cost hundreds of dollars) and finally got one last week.

I have a external USR modem that worked with Linux. Its 28.8k though...... I have found that External modems seem to work with Linux easier. I never found an internal modem that worked though...... One thing you could do though, is have one machine on your network connect to the intrenet and just network the Linux machine to it. Like an internet gateway.

That's what I'm gonna end up doing, cause I don't wanna lug around a big external modem. It'll have to go through a network.

Things I have discovered while doing this project:

WinLite is only good for workstations, as it removes a lot of the security and inner windows workings that keep it up online. I don't reccomend it for a power user that not behind a firewall and has a server or other machine doing antivirus.

I took my laptop to the school today and showed it off a little. Of course, not too many people were impressed with it, as it's not new and shiny and expensive. That's what they teach, after all. The guy that sits next to me in my hardware class (required) is building a system, and I didn't see much 'cool' about it other than it was gonna be really expensive. Pretty off-topic here, so I'll skip the parts. They were all vutting edge.

So I'll definitely be loading some kind of Linux on this laptop soon since I finally fixed my main machine. I used partition magic to copy everything over and it was a snap, very hands-off. I called around and it was gonna cost me $90 to have it done. I think I'm in the right field of work :)

I'm at both ends. Cutting edge and Vintage. I still use some old school tatics on new machines though. Sometimes the old answer to a modern problem works better than an modern answer to modern problem.....

-V

I'm strictly trailing-edge all the way. I use Win98SE, but for certain (mundane) tasks, like formatting a stack of floppies, or mass-file copying, I usually go to a DOS prompt.

--T

Back