• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Showing off at school

Terry is thinking of Tiny Linux, DSL is 50 megs but tiny linux is less than 1.44 megs it runs only in text based promt (duh) and i beleive that you can find a link to download it from the official linux site.

vlad said:
they are making a new operating system completely from scratch. New Kernel, GUI shell, new every thing. I forget its code name, but this one is not related to Vista or Server "Long Horn" in any way.

Vlad -- Microsoft has said in public that "Blackcomb" (maybe 2009-2012 timeframe) will be the successor to Vista/Longhorn Server. But I'm not sure if that is the same thing you're talking about, because they routinely have new OS development at Microsoft Research of course.

I don't know why I didn't do this before.

I'm posting from my laptop now. Online and listening to a David Bowie cd, "I'm Only Dancing" right a this moment. I do believe the project is a success. I'm actually surprised that I didn't hit that many snags. One more fix and I'll be there(2000Lite). Now I get to actually show off at school. The only gripe is that hte screen has what looks like water damage as far as it's lighter in a pattern that looks like dripped then dried water. hard to describe. But it still shows picture.

I still have the little "Designed for Microsoft Windows 95" sticker in the corner of the screen under the energy star logo, heh heh. I love it.

Awesome, It sounds like you will blow a few minds with your laptop.
How does it handle speed wise? Slow or normal?
as for your mysterious pattern on the screen, LCD panels have been known to form patterns when they age. It could be natural aging or it could have been damage sometime during its intresting life. It could also be a manufacturing defect. Who knows?

-Vlad

The damage looks more like water that dripped down it, as if it got rained on. I didn't think of freezing, though it's not bubble-like in appearance.

Speedwise it moves about as fast as the onboard toshiba modem does, and the graphics takes about a second longer than on my main machine. Opening programs takes about 2 secs longer and opening system things like hardware manager and any of the applets takes 3-4 secs and I believe that if I max the memory at 160mb and apply 2000Lite that those things will go away. I probably don't need the ram if I use that program. We'll see, I have to wait to invest more as my car repair stuff has depleted my funds for a while. Gotta go deliver more pizzas to make up for it, heh heh.

And I hope I do freak some people out. I'm also gonna install OpenOffice for the schoolwork. Gotta get to school on their high speed connection to download it. Screw MS office.

One of my computers had a screen that was "damaged" by freezing, but it didn't "look like" bubbles either. There were just about five-or-six little white-ish spots on the color screen, barely visible unless you were looking for them.

Heh, my son deliers pizzas too, and he's working tonight, expecting to make about $150.00 in tips. This is the busiest night of the year, pizza-wise.

--T

Whatever it is, it's not gotten any worse so I'll not complain much about it. Just a little note. The seller probably knew about it but didn't want to say anything. He knew that he wouldn't be able to get as much. It *does* show up on the setup screen, which he would have been kicked into if there was no hdd (there wasn't). Again, not complaining. I'm happy with it.

I wish it was a better night for me. All the drunk people tipped 5 and 6 bucks, while the babysitters let the kids order and they did *not* tip. I went on my last run and the cooks (or "insiders") had made the medium a large by accident, I made a big show of how a mistake was made and "it's for the New Year!" and got no tip from a teenager. If my order came upgraded I would have tipped. :!:

some time last week one of the cute girl delivery people got a $20 tip.

So was she cute? It had to be a girl unless you were really that drunk.

I used to go out with a cocktail waitress, and I learned the importance of tips at that time, and I've been very generous ever since. She was widdowed, supporting herself and her two children (Her husband, my good friend, "Fleetwood", from the Avengers MC, got ran over from behind on his Panhead by a drunk in a cage).
Some folks are very dependant on tips, since they are paid *less than* minimum wage...(My son makes $3.50 a run + tips, and they deliver within a *10-mile* radius). Without tips, he'd barely make his gas expenses. He's lucky tho, he scores between $50.00 & 75.00 a night in tips...

--T

I hear ya. I was just being funny about the drunk thing :)

My check is less than great, though I make minimum wage plus $1.10 per run, plus tips. All in all it's not bad, and tonight I brought in $45. Not real good, since I had several non-tippers. It happens. Since I started driving this car (besides the fixing of it lately) gas has been relatively cheaper. I was in a Cherokee, and it was a gas guzzler in comparison. I need to apply some fixes to it to get better mileage. But my very first night I brought in $70, and still haven't topped that. The wages were less than minimum but the gov't stepped in and said no, minimum is minimum, there is nothing less than that. I guess it was the state. Luckily I had saved ebough and was still working up to that point that the car broke that I could concentrate on fixing it.

My wife had been a waitress for years up till recently, adn that's how she made all her money.She's very charismatic:D so she did very well.

Has anyone ever heard of the Abyss web server? I was thinking of using this to make my machine a small webserver so that the laptop and anything else can communicate.

http://www.aprelium.com/

The resource requirements are so low that I might hook up the NEC laptop as a standalone server in te future. But today, I was thinking of using this along with the Proxim stuff I bought. I wanted a server that acted as an application in another post and then I find this. Hmmm. Since the USB adapter from Proxim didn't like my machine I can use my machine as the gateway for the base station instead and still have some kind of connectivity. I use walmart connect, and I talked to them and they don't support service over a lan. I suggested to try to make a product with these guys. Whatever. I'm experimenting.

And I wanted to see what you guys think first. The online docs say one host is supported.

http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/summary.html

Please explain this to me.

Back